Parts for G4 Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know I am going to get flamed for this but I am just curious to know why I can't go and purchase a G4 processor at a store. Does Motorola only sell to Apple? That cannot be efficient for them.

If I could go buy a G4 processor could I build my own Mac? I know it wouldn't be truly a Mac but I could then buy OS X and use that. I know Apple does not want people to do this but does that mean that nobody does? If someone could point me in the right direction or tell me that this is impossible I would appreciate it.

By the way, I am trying to become a Mac but until I do I will have to work on my own built PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by jpp1cd:

<strong>I know I am going to get flamed for this but I am just curious to know why I can't go and purchase a G4 processor at a store. Does Motorola only sell to Apple? That cannot be efficient for them.

If I could go buy a G4 processor could I build my own Mac? I know it wouldn't be truly a Mac but I could then buy OS X and use that. I know Apple does not want people to do this but does that mean that nobody does? If someone could point me in the right direction or tell me that this is impossible I would appreciate it.

By the way, I am trying to become a Mac but until I do I will have to work on my own built PC.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can't go and buy a G4 processor at a store because nobody makes generic motherboards for them. You can't build your own mac for this same reason. You CAN buy a G4 processor (Sonnet, Newertech), but these are packaged for specific makes of Apple models.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'm not sure that it's really possible, since you can't just go out and buy motherboards and processors like on the PC side. There was a thread over in Mac Achaia discussing building a G4 with an older motherboard... you can check it out for whatever it's worth:

<a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=4820959925"; target="_blank">ArsTech... Mac Achaia --&gt; Build yer own G4</a>