Apple's Q2 earnings conference call to take place on April 23

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
In an update to its Investor Releations webpage on Monday, Apple announced that its next quarterly conference call will take place on April 23, and is expected to cover the company's second quarter performance including profits and sales numbers.

2Q Conference Call

As usual, Apple's conference call will discuss the financial results for the company's fiscal quarter two, which spans from January to March. Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer will likely be on the line to explain the results and offer a forecast for the next quarter.

During the company's last quarterly conference call, it was announced that iPhone sales reached 47.8 million units over the holidays, a 29 percent boost from the same period a year ago. iPad sales were also strong, growing 48 percent year over year to 22.9 million units, but lower margins on the iPad mini held revenue growth for the tablet lineup to 22 percent from the year ago quarter.

Apple's conference call for the second quarter of 2013 is scheduled for Tuesday, April 23, at 2 p.m. Pacific / 5 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be covering the call live, while an audio webcast is also to be made available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "lower margins" wouldn't effect REVENUE growth.

Fail.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Manufacturing difficulties in Q1 will have put some pressure on margins, and pushed some sales out into Q2.  Quite soon after Q2 started the shipping delay on iMac and iPhones in the online store dropped pretty dramatically. 

If you back out the effect of the extra leap year week on last quarter's earnings, you get 25% revenue growth and 7% earnings growth in Q1.  The manufacturing troubles probably also affected margins, so my wild guess is $51 billion in revenue (30% growth over 2012Q2 of $39.19B) and $13.50 earnings (10% growth over 2012Q2 earnings of $12.30).

Any thoughts?

• Reply 3 of 18
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Manufacturing difficulties in Q1 will have put some pressure on margins, and pushed some sales out into Q2.  Quite soon after Q2 started the shipping delay on iMac and iPhones in the online store dropped pretty dramatically. 

If you back out the effect of the extra leap year week on last quarter's earnings, you get 25% revenue growth and 7% earnings growth in Q1.  The manufacturing troubles probably also affected margins, so my wild guess is $51 billion in revenue (30% growth over 2012Q2 of $39.19B) and $13.50 earnings (10% growth over 2012Q2 earnings of $12.30).

Any thoughts?

I would expect revenue at about $43 billion (10% growth) and earnings at $10.5 (15% lesser).

• Reply 4 of 18
    To me the most interesting number is the iPod mini figure. This impinges on the PC marketplace, a great tech hangout from the past. Of course everyone is interested in phones, but it is the forthcoming transition quarter that's most interesting there. Whether that quarter is Q2 or Q3 remains to be seen. Dudes, these seat-of-the-pants estimates are of no interest.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    As a shareholder, I fear this earnings report. I'm hoping for a surprise on the upside.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

As a shareholder, I fear this earnings report. I'm hoping for a surprise on the upside.

Well, They didn't warn so I have a good feeling about it.  

When was the last time they missed their own numbers?

I for one would like to see a buy back and/or dividend increase announcement before earnings.

I would prefer a strong buy back instead of more dividend because the company's performance can sustain the stock price long term.

Time will tell.

• Reply 7 of 18
    Phone sales are near written in stone so its tablet sales that will be of interest.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Phone sales are near written in stone.........

How so?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It's going to be a bloodbath regardless of what the actual numbers are. Stock prices are set much more by confidence and doubt than by actual numerical data. There's just the sense that Apple sucks now, even though last year, it was the bee's knees! I surmise that with some fresh, new products, we can get our mojo back, but until then, we're old news.

Here's a fun fact: even at the beaten-down depressed price that AAPL is today, it is still higher than any time during Steve Jobs' life.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

A lot is riding on this earnings report.

If the analysts and institutional investors smell a whiff of profit margins shrinking, they will be downgrading their recommendations or selling the shares in droves. Just yesterday, a large institutional investor sold 10% of their AAPL holdings.

I'm afraid, this next report has the potential to lower the share price into the high $300's. It just goes to remind people how important speculation from the market is in determining the stock price. Then again, the stock price is about the future, not the past. The book numbers could take a back seat.

What a turn of fortune for AAPL! Glad I pulled out when I had the chance! :D

• Reply 11 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Here's a fun fact: even at the beaten-down depressed price that AAPL is today, it is still higher than any time during Steve Jobs' life.

Expect that to change at some point this year.

• Reply 12 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

And the stock is down again pre market.

Here's what I don't get.  AAPL is down 36% over the past 6 months.  Isn't bad news already priced into the stock?  Everyone is expecting a meh to bad quarter yet if that's what Apple announces guaranteed the stock will take a huge hit.  Even though the numbers will be what everyone was expecting.  Where is the bottom?

Could we also say going 6 months without any product announcements is helping to drive the negativity?  Not sure if that was planned or just happened, but seems to me it would be better to have announcements spaces out rather than cramming most of them in the holiday quarter.

On CNBC this morning David Faber (who is not known for hyperbole) wondered when we start talking about if Cook's job is in jeopardy.  Might seem absurd but if the stock keeps on its downward trajectory I think more people will be asking that question.

• Reply 13 of 18
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

And that's the problem.

Why the f*ck are you expecting a surprise? Why can't things be "normal"? Can't you realize that they already are the most lucrative company on earth? What if they stop being the most lucrative and become the second most lucrative? isn't that enough?

Do you expect a surprise from microsoft, or nokia, or sony, or samsung, or google, or blackberry, or motorola or even htc? What about hp and dell?

Seriously. Most people are stupid, it is a known fact, but stupid people that invest on a company they know nothing about deserve nothing less than failure. I hope you and others alike lose tons of money. It won't affect Apple's products/performance, it won't affect my macbook air.

• Reply 14 of 18
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And the stock is down again pre market.

Here's what I don't get.  AAPL is down 36% over the past 6 months.  Isn't bad news already priced into the stock?  Everyone is expecting a meh to bad quarter yet if that's what Apple announces guaranteed the stock will take a huge hit.  Even though the numbers will be what everyone was expecting.  Where is the bottom?

Could we also say going 6 months without any product announcements is helping to drive the negativity?  Not sure if that was planned or just happened, but seems to me it would be better to have announcements spaces out rather than cramming most of them in the holiday quarter.

On CNBC this morning David Faber (who is not known for hyperbole) wondered when we start talking about if Cook's job is in jeopardy.  Might seem absurd but if the stock keeps on its downward trajectory I think more people will be asking that question.

I've been long on AAPL since 97 so I've been watching Apple stock for a long, long time and I've seen many ups and downs.  This decline is pissing me off.  Apple has so many possible ways to indicate to the world that work is actually occurring in Cupertino.  Announcements of OSX and iOS versions are typically made well in advance of the actual release.  Lack of announcements makes me believe that OS X 10.9 and iOS 7 are no where near finished or maybe are not even under serious development.  iLife software is a little old and iWork is ancient.  While people are focused on iPads and iPhones, Apple could still bring out innovations in laptops and desktops to everyone's delight.  And then there's iPods, AppleTV and the new thing.

If Tim Cook doesn't spill the beans in the next month or so, I think it might be time for his head to roll.  If he doesn't recognize the credible threat from Google and Samsung, he is not acting in the best interests of the shareholders.

• Reply 15 of 18
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Expect that to change at some point this year.

No, I expect that we will get some new product announcements before it gets to that point.  If not, I expect a major shake-up at the top.

• Reply 16 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I've been long on AAPL since 97 so I've been watching Apple stock for a long, long time and I've seen many ups and downs.  This decline is pissing me off.  Apple has so many possible ways to indicate to the world that work is actually occurring in Cupertino.  Announcements of OSX and iOS versions are typically made well in advance of the actual release.  Lack of announcements makes me believe that OS X 10.9 and iOS 7 are no where near finished or maybe are not even under serious development.  iLife software is a little old and iWork is ancient.  While people are focused on iPads and iPhones, Apple could still bring out innovations in laptops and desktops to everyone's delight.  And then there's iPods, AppleTV and the new thing.

If Tim Cook doesn't spill the beans in the next month or so, I think it might be time for his head to roll.  If he doesn't recognize the credible threat from Google and Samsung, he is not acting in the best interests of the shareholders.

What you just said is pissing me off too.  Being silent for 6+ months makes no sense.  Unless Apple really has nothing ready to show.  Obviously I don't want them releasing stuff just for the sake of it.  And certainly not releasing anything that isn't ready where we have another maps fiasco.  But there's a vacuum right now an it's being filled by G&D and FUD.  And when WWDC comes around the expectations will be so high (especially with iOS 7) that it will be damn near impossible for Apple to meet them.  I keep hoping this silence means we'll see some kick ass stuff later this summer/fall that will surprise everyone.  Its pretty embarrassing when you have CNBC wondering aloud if Cook's job is on the line and calling Apple the JCpenney of tech.

• Reply 17 of 18
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch View Post

I would expect revenue at about $43 billion (10% growth) and earnings at $10.5 (15% lesser).

So you are expecting the comparison between 2012Q2 and 2013Q2 to be much worse than the comparison between Q1 and Q1 - why?

• Reply 18 of 18
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

As each day goes by I'm left wondering just how bad this quarter is going to be.  If they arent willing to increase the dividend to support the stock with 137 billion in cash on hand, then it only goes to follow that free cash flow is going to be down which would have to mean a disaster of a quarter.  The fourth dividend payment is coming up in just over a month and typically dividend payers that are doing well increase their dividend annually.  We're two weeks past the anniversary of when it was initiated in the first place, the stock price is almost 270 points below it's high and expectations for this report are generally bad.  A dividend increase would give buyers a lot more confidence, attract income investors and raise the floor of the stock.  I guess they want it to hit $350 for whatever reason since a simple increase of 25% would put the current payout at 3% making it unlikely to drop much from this level and only increase the payout from 2.5 billion a quarter to 3.125 billion...barely noticeable if they are going to meet estimates.