Trailer offers first glimpse at Steve Jobs biopic from 'Funny or Die'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The teaser trailer for the "Funny or Die"-produced parody Steve biopic, "iSteve," has appeared online, offering a first look at Justin Long in the title role.

Billing itself as "The first Steve Jobs movie," "iSteve" is slated for an April 15 online release. The project, announced in March, will be Funny or Die's longest project to date, clocking in between 60 and 75 minutes.

The short film will star Justin Long, former Apple stand-in for the company's "Mac vs. PC" commercial campaign, as Steve Jobs. James Urbaniak is said to play Bill Gates, with Michaela Watkins as Melinda gates and Jorge Garcia as Steve Wozniak.

The trailer skewers the tech visionary image of Jobs and the messianism of the Apple movement. The creative team behind it assures that it is not meant to be taken seriously.

"In true Internet fashion, it?s not based on very thorough research ? essentially a cursory look at the Steve Jobs Wikipedia page," Perez said. "It?s very silly. But it looks at his whole life."

"iSteve" will debut on Funny or Die on April 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I was originally looking forward this but now not so much.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

If it is funny they should have given a taste of that in the trailer.

• Reply 3 of 30

Looking forward to seeing it and hopefully getting a good laugh. Could use one.

• Reply 4 of 30
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Not interested.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    How will Americans know it is funny if there are no laugh tracks to tell them when to laugh?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    How will Americans know it is funny if there are no laugh tracks to tell them when to laugh?

Cool it!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Doesn't seem funny

• Reply 8 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

Outside of How I met you mother- nothing uses laugh tracks anymore.  At least nothing good.  You're still living in the 90s.

• Reply 9 of 30
    andysol wrote: »
    Outside of How I met you mother- nothing uses laugh tracks anymore.  At least nothing good.  You're still living in the 90s.

Fawlty Towers and Black Adder have laugh tracks which I guess means that the British didn't know what was funny in the 80s.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I can't imagine many people sitting through the whole movie.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    "loose canon"
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Yeah. I'm ready for a parody and some humor concerning him and his life. There is a void now that he's gone and I figured that maybe this would help with some levity, but this trailer leaves nothing to be excited for.

It may be funny and may be ridiculous but the trailer seemed like it was just another serious yet inaccurate portrayal.

I wonder why they couldn't put some
    Of the humor into the trailer.

The only thing even remotely funny was him screeming "I am apple" after all the years of him saying I am Mac.

And that still wasn't funny.

I'll still watch it but they didn't have to rush this project. What's the deal? We will be here when it's ready.

All we want is a seriously funny insanely great version of his life depicted on our iDecices. .

Take the time to make it at least Competently sane.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I guess they are going to die.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Meh. I'll still check it out. I don't find parodies offensive. But I'm that kind of person. Your mileage may vary. If John Hodgman was in it playing Bill Gates, it would be an automatic win.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Fawlty Towers and Black Adder have laugh tracks which I guess means that the British didn't know what was funny in the 80s.

They probably knew it was being shipped abroad and didn't want it to fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

And The Big Bang Theory which is one of the funniest things to come out of America.

When the options are "Funny or Die" and the trailer wasn't funny...

• Reply 16 of 30
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Bingo.  And even with HIMYM, the show is in it's 9th and final season...no reason to retool the show for what, 16 episodes?

• Reply 17 of 30
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Speaking of which, I think the "iJOBS" movie has been delayed for two reasons.

1. It's not very good. "Pirates of Silicon Valley" retread but with less Gates.
    It would bomb if released right now.

2. The studio is waiting for the release of the "real" Steve Jobs movie, written by Aaron Sorkin.
    They'll release "iJOBS" hoping to ride the wave of Steve Jobs nostalgia.

IMHO, of course.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Going back a little further, there's also "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "The Benny Hill Show" with laugh tracks.

(And also a live audience?)

• Reply 19 of 30
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member

Quote:

I was originally looking forward this but now not so much.

I would have to agree. Not sure if the rest of the movie is like the trailer but it felt more creepy than funny.

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

The 90's called and they want their cynicism back.

.... oh wait, I've got the 2030's on the line and they have revived the 70's as a retro bit of awesome and everyone enjoys naive and uncomplicated laugh tracks again. Three's Company is the top hit above "American IdolBot" where androids compete to see who can be the most convincing bad singer.