iBook "overclocking"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 14.1" iBook could, via a software setting, have its CPU ramp up to 800Mhz and its FSB go from 100 to 200Mhz.

First of all, can anyone verify that this is true?

Secondly, if true, can someone give me a breakdown of the following:

A) What good things will it do for my computing experience

B) What bad things might it do to the iBook

C) How would I go about making said modifications?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Yes it is possible to do it but it isn't done by software... you have to open your iBook and change a few things on the motherboard... for 100mhz extra it isn't worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I don't want to make a new thread for this since it's a simple iBook question.

How long is the battery life? Apple claims up to 6 hours, but that's likely with all sorts of power saving settings and whatnot on. How long is the battery in practicle use? Like say, sitting under a tree webbrowsing or watching a DVD?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you can do it on the new ones using a software tool.

i believe they were the CHUD tools. the new version won't do it though.

it will increase speed.

it has a decent chance of frying your iBook forever.

and yes it does work.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What/where are CHUD tools? Alcimedes I think you just messed up but you said this WILL and will NOT work on new (700mhz) iBooks:

[quote] you can do it on the new ones using a software tool.

i believe they were the CHUD tools. the new version won't do it though. <hr></blockquote>

Can you please clarify? Maybe you meant new version of CHUD? I have a friend who recently got a 700mhz iBook and wants to overclock it.

Alcimedes have you personally done this? How likely is it the iBook will fry? :eek:

Also is it possible in software (CHUD?) to clock the bus to 133mhz since the soldered RAM is actually PC 133?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what about the 600MHz low-end?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    If you have one of the new iBooks, you need the CHUD tools. The CHUD version currently at Apple has been changed so you can't overclock the iBooks.

If you can find somebody with an older version of CHUD tools, have them get a copy of it to you. I think <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/</a>; has a writeup on how to use the CHUD tools to overclock it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    you need a newer iBook, one with a 100 Mhz system bus.

you also need the older CHUD tools. good luck finding them. (although they're out there)

i don't have one myself, but i know people who have done it as for whether or not it will fry your iBook, consider that 700 Mhz is the highest end iBook right now, and that that's the heat your system was designed to deal with. now thing about what happens when you mess that up.

will you fry it? dunno. is it possible, yes.

it's your iBook. are you willing to toss $1,500 out the window on the off chance that you'll get 100Mhz extra on your laptop?

if so, go ahead. to me, it wasn't worth it. the speed increase is negligable, IMO for the price you might have to pay.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Anyone happen to have the older CHUD tools? It's not my iBook and we just wanted to see if this will work, it's my understanding that you have to re-apply this every boot time. This isn't permanent.

Thanks for the replies!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Eh, I heard somewhere that the 700mhz iBooks have IBM G3s in them rated for 800mhz, so if that is true it should be safe. Do not overclock the bus over the speed of your RAM though.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    oh yeah, and this should probably be moved to the Genius Bar. sorry, been a bit out of it today or i would have done it the first time i replied to this thread.

• Reply 11 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I remember reading that it only works on the newest iBook generation. The older iBooks (every 500 MHz one, and the 600 MHz ones with 8MB VRAM) use the PowerPC 750cx chip, while the new 600 and 700 MHz versions use the PowerPC 750fx chip. Apparently the fx can be software-overclocked but the cx can't.

In fact, some have speculated that the current 600 and 700 MHz iBooks are just software-downclocked versions of future ones. Since iBooks now have QE-supported graphics, they're not likely to get much more than a minor change next update, so Apple may have just put downclocked chips in them until they felt they were ready to have a 700/800 MHz lineup. I'm just speculating.

BTW, any form of overclocking, be it via a software hack, a flip of a switch, or a resistor swap, will void your warranty. Just so you know (but you probably already do know).
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Thanks Luca, I know.

Anyone happen to have the old version of "CHUD tools?"
  • Reply 13 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Thanks Luca, I know.

Anyone happen to have the old version of "CHUD tools?" </strong><hr></blockquote>

have a look at carracho...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I trust people here more than on Carracho
  • Reply 15 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>I trust people here more than on Carracho </strong><hr></blockquote>

ou have to download it from them, not uploading money...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Yes can anyone here send me the old CHUD tools without PayPal?