WSJ: Apple to begin 'iPhone 5S' production this quarter, less expensive iPhone coming later this yea

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple plans to begin production of its next flagship iPhone this quarter, while the company also has a new, less expensive model in the works for later this year, according to The Wall Street Journal.

2013 Predictions
Source: KGI Securities

Purported details about Apple's upcoming smartphone plans were reported by authors Lorraine Luk and Jessica E. Lessin on Tuesday, who revealed that production of a so-called "iPhone 5S" will begin this quarter. That sets Apple's next iPhone up for a launch as soon as this summer, which would be a change from the later iPhone 5 launch Apple instituted last year.

In addition, Apple is also said to be working on a less expensive iPhone model with a different casing. That handset will reportedly retain the 4-inch display of the iPhone 5.

Tuesday's report doesn't offer any surprising details, but does corroborate with what earlier reports have claimed about Apple's 2013 plans for the iPhone lineup. Parts claimed to be from the "iPhone 5S" were spotted last month, providing further evidence that Apple's next handset could be nearing production.

The Journal offered no indication as to whether an "iPhone 5S" might include a fingerprint sensor underneath the home button for secure transactions. Those claims were first made in January by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record in predicting Apple's future product pipeline.

iPhones
Apple's current iPhone lineup.

As for a cheaper iPhone, speculation has grown that Apple is interested in addressing the low-end smartphone market, particularly in developing countries where customers prefer to purchase unsubsidized handsets without a service contract. It's believed that such a device would be targeted at China and Brazil, in particular.

That handset is said to have plastic or polycarbonate body that would allow Apple to sell the device at a lower cost. The current iPhone 5 has a metal back, while the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 feature glass cases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I guess WSJ is officially in the rumor business now?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I guess WSJ is officially in the rumor business now?

When it comes to Apple, everybody is in the rumor/BS business it seems.

• Reply 3 of 53
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When it comes to Apple, everybody is in the rumor/BS business it seems.

I wish they and other real news sites would just get off Apple's nuts so the stock price can go back to normal.

I miss the good ol' slow-n-steady days.

• Reply 4 of 53
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Well if the WSJ is in the rumor business, they're only what, 3 months late on this one?  It's just a total repeat of what we've already heard, not sure why it's noteworthy. 

• Reply 5 of 53
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member
    Q3 is April - June, right? So doesn't that mean they've already missed the MBA update in that chart?

And right now, I'm less interested in the iPhone 5S update -- is there any new rumors on Haswell Retina MacBook Pros? Looking to consolidate from a iMac/MBA setup to a rMBP only setup this year.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    smileydude wrote: »
    Q3 is April - June, right? So doesn't that mean they've already missed the MBA update in that chart?

I think they're going by calendar year, not fiscal. So Q3 would be July August September.

That chart has the MBA in late Q2, so probably around June.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    rmbp15rmbp15 Posts: 5member
    I am sick and tired 4" screen, Mr. Cook!
  • Reply 8 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rMBP15 View Post

I am sick and tired 4" screen, Mr. Cook!

I don't think Apple wants to start fragmenting their screen sizes like Android did. LOTS of people are very happy with 4" screens including myself. If they did increase the screen size, they should at least keep the same resolutions to make it easier for the developers.

• Reply 9 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Well if the WSJ is in the rumor business, they're only what, 3 months late on this one?  It's just a total repeat of what we've already heard, not sure why it's noteworthy. 

Maybe because the WSJ has better credibility than Digitimes?
  • Reply 10 of 53
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    majjo wrote: »
    I think they're going by calendar year, not fiscal. So Q3 would be July August September.

That chart has the MBA in late Q2, so probably around June.

Agree they are going calendar quarter. Of course, is the AppleTV refresh the smaller chip? That it?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

I want Mac Pro... please! I don't care about others - they're predictable. I want MacPro.

• Reply 12 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

SO, will the 5S get 802.11ac?!  I am actually surprised Apple has not release ANY 802.11ac products yet...  

• Reply 13 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I don't think Apple wants to start fragmenting their screen sizes like Android did. LOTS of people are very happy with 4" screens including myself. If they did increase the screen size, they should at least keep the same resolutions to make it easier for the developers.

Agreed, when I want a larger screen I'll reach for an iPad mini, LTE or WiFi.

For my pockets the 5 is terrific and based on the doubling of worldwide shipments versus the SIII (and the 4 also shipping more than the SIII) I'd expect there's many who agree.

• Reply 14 of 53
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe because the WSJ has better credibility than Digitimes?

I don't follow Digitimes, but others have made the same claims.  KGI Securities, for example.  As pictured above.  It's still a re-hash.

• Reply 15 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Yes for China Mobile the older 4 and 4s aren't an answer because they don't have the compatible radio, so a simpler China Mobile phone would be in line with Apple's current practise of offering a variety of performance/price points ala the 4/4s/5 line up.

• Reply 16 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Agreed, when I want a larger screen I'll reach for an iPad mini, LTE or WiFi.

For my pockets the 5 is terrific and based on the doubling of worldwide shipments versus the SIII (and the 4 also shipping more than the SIII) I'd expect there's many who agree

You have no idea how well a larger iPhone would sell in comparison to the current 4" size because that option doesn't exist. How many current iPhone owners bought an iPhone because of iOS, the Apple ecosystem, or other factors but really pine for a larger display? How many Android owners would buy an iPhone in a second and only chose Android because Apple doesn't offer a larger display which many find important? I am sure there are also many people like you perfectly happy with the current 4" size but you can't lump all of us who bought one in with you. I have an iPhone but hate the tiny screen and would kill for a 4.8" iPhone. 

• Reply 17 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Let's hope Apple has enough products on hand to deliver this time around. Seems like an awfully crowded third quarter.

Also, this kind of bunching up might be somewhat inefficient if you're trying access people's share of wallet on a steady basis throughout the year (even allowing for the additional spending bump during the holiday season).
  • Reply 18 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Its noteworthy as proof that they are full of crap cause they are reporting months old rumors without thought to fact that apple is releasing phone on t-mobile in 2 weeks. Why would they bother if the iPhone 5S will be two months later. They would wait and do them together

• Reply 19 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    gwmac wrote: »
    You have no idea how well a larger iPhone would sell in comparison to the current 4" size because that option doesn't exist. How many current iPhone owners bought an iPhone because of iOS, the Apple ecosystem, or other factors but really pine for a larger display? How many Android owners would buy an iPhone in a second and only chose Android because Apple doesn't offer a larger display which many find important? I am sure there are also many people like you perfectly happy with the current 4" size but you can't lump all of us who bought one in with you. I have an iPhone but hate the tiny screen and would kill for a 4.8" iPhone. 

Do you seriously believe that Apple does not know? And, if the numbers are large enough -- as you happen to think -- why would you think Apple would not want to access that slice of the market?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Let's hope Apple has enough products on hand to deliver this time around. Seems like an awfully crowded third quarter.

They won't. The factories can only make so much and the demand goes up. Even if Apple changes games and warehouses for a month before hand, the demand is so nuts that they still won't have enough.