WSJ: Apple to begin 'iPhone 5S' production this quarter, less expensive iPhone coming later this yea

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You have no idea how well a larger iPhone would sell in comparison to the current 4" size because that option doesn't exist. How many current iPhone owners bought an iPhone because of iOS, the Apple ecosystem, or other factors but really pine for a larger display? How many Android owners would buy an iPhone in a second and only chose Android because Apple doesn't offer a larger display which many find important? I am sure there are also many people like you perfectly happy with the current 4" size but you can't lump all of us who bought one in with you. I have an iPhone but hate the tiny screen and would kill for a 4.8" iPhone. 

I didn't do ANY "lumping" now did I?

Why not just buy an LTE iPad mini and go really "big"? 

• Reply 22 of 53
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Isn't it unusual Apple hasn't had any major product events yet this year? They've been awfully quiet, other than the surprise 128GB iPad. I hope the 5S comes sooner rather than later.

• Reply 23 of 53
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Its noteworthy as proof that they are full of crap cause they are reporting months old rumors without thought to fact that apple is releasing phone on t-mobile in 2 weeks. Why would they bother if the iPhone 5S will be two months later. They would wait and do them together

I'll accept that answer, it makes more sense than anything else.

• Reply 24 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't think Apple wants to start fragmenting their screen sizes like Android did. LOTS of people are very happy with 4" screens including myself. If they did increase the screen size, they should at least keep the same resolutions to make it easier for the developers.

Maybe, but lots of people, including many Asian customers in a recent survey, strongly prefer bigger than 4 inch screens. So if Apple is trying to make inroads in places like Japan, China, and the like, it might need to get a larger screen.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Isn't it unusual Apple hasn't had any major product events yet this year? They've been awfully quiet, other than the surprise 128GB iPad. I hope the 5S comes sooner rather than later.

Bringing the iPhone to T-Mobile is pretty big news.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rMBP15 View Post

I am sick and tired 4" screen, Mr. Cook!

If Apple Insider were a bar in the "wild west," you would have just cleared a table.  Somebody's gonna come fer yuh.

• Reply 27 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Bringing the iPhone to T-Mobile is pretty big news.

Meh (I agree with the market on that).

Now, China Mobile would be something else.....

• Reply 28 of 53
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    smileydude wrote: »
    Q3 is April - June, right? So doesn't that mean they've already missed the MBA update in that chart?

And right now, I'm less interested in the iPhone 5S update -- is there any new rumors on Haswell Retina MacBook Pros? Looking to consolidate from a iMac/MBA setup to a rMBP only setup this year.
    well what about the first quarters Apple TV update?

rmbp15 wrote: »
    I am sick and tired 4" screen, Mr. Cook!
    You must have missed the post that the next two iPhones are still from Steve Jobs so we still have to wait and see, I still do not mind 4 inch but about 4.5 inches would be not to big or to small for most people, do you have a opinion on the best screen size?
  • Reply 29 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you seriously believe that Apple does not know? And, if the numbers are large enough -- as you happen to think -- why would you think Apple would not want to access that slice of the market?

To be fair, large pizza's make a lot of money, but Apple isn't selling those because, simply put, it's not part of their business model.  Question: do we really know that Apple would do this just to make money?  Isn't part of the Apple schtick that they make products *they* want to make, not the products they think consumers want?  I know I hear that from Apple and from Apple fans quite a bit (and I largely agree...though it's a bit of a flexible thing to say).  Which is it?  Because making products on the basis of consumer demand is what Samsung is accused of doing...yet "consumer demand" is nothing more than "buyers are buying" which is the same as, "we can make a load of money from this."  Which is it?  Will Apple make that phone when "the numbers are large enough"?  Does Apple build products based on their vision, or on consumer demand?  I'm not asking rhetorically.  I think the answer is a mix, but I usually hear comments on one extreme or another here, and both extremes are nearly always used to defend Apple's agenda (and they can't both be equally right)...either Apple builds what they damn well please, or they build what the market requests.  My main point is...I don't think Apple will NECESSARILY build a 5inch phone simply because they could make a load of money.  I also don't think Apple will necessarily avoid making one simply because it doesn't fit their vision.  I don't see Samsung making the Note 2 at a loss...so maybe the real argument is...how much money does a product need to make Apple for them to breach their lineup with a new product?

• Reply 30 of 53
    Do you seriously believe that Apple does not know? And, if the numbers are large enough -- as you happen to think -- why would you think Apple would not want to access that slice of the market?

I think Apple is doing internal research and also sees the evidence that large phones sell by looking at the broader market. As for why they haven't released one yet, I think it's because they limit themselves to certain screen size and resolution combinations to keep things easy for developers. Without that limitation I think they would already have released a larger iPhone. When they release the larger model that I do think they are building, they'll probably have to double the resolution of the iPhone's display. If they use a 2272x1280 5 inch panel, that phone will have a pixel density of 492 ppi. That density has been unattainable (at a reasonable cost) until recently, so Apple couldn't have released a larger phone without either breaking their doubled-pixels rule or dropping below Retina standards.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    winniewinnie Posts: 17member

I have compared a larger screen Android phone to my iPhone 5.  The screen displays the same number of apps...app icons are spaced apart a little more and the text is nearly identical.

Web pages zoom in and out in almost identical text sizes.  The reader feature in safari makes reading a web story much easier than any Android larger screen.

other apps the text size is again nearly identical. 

The text lies on the screen may contain a few more words on each line but again the actual text size looks almost the same.

i just don't get this larger screen issue. I used larger Android screen for over two years and thought I would not be happy with the 4 inch iPhone 5 screen. 

Turns out there is little difference in text size and maybe more total information but where my eyes were focused I did not see any difference. 

• Reply 32 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I didn't do ANY "lumping" now did I?

Why not just buy an LTE iPad mini and go really "big"? 

I don't think you necessarily did any lumping, but lumping did seem implied.  Don't imply lumping.  If you lump, lump in the light.

Second...because the LTE iPad mini doesn't fit comfortably in one's jeans/pants/coat pocket, of course.  A five inch phone doesn't have to be "better"...it just has to be a viable solution for enough people to make Apple money.  It just might be, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Reply 33 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I think Apple is doing internal research and also sees the evidence that large phones sell by looking at the broader market.

What evidence is that?

This thread points out that 5" and larger phones are just a couple percent of the market:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156750/mid-sized-smartphones-like-apples-iphone-see-most-usage-phablets-a-fad-report

So where's all this evidence that larger phones are such a huge market that you and the other trolls keep claiming exists?
  • Reply 34 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What evidence is that?

This thread points out that 5" and larger phones are just a couple percent of the market:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156750/mid-sized-smartphones-like-apples-iphone-see-most-usage-phablets-a-fad-report

So where's all this evidence that larger phones are such a huge market that you and the other trolls keep claiming exists?

Once again it doesn't have to be 5" and certainly the iPad mini isn't an option. But there are a lot of choices in between 4" and 5". Most people that want a larger iPhone would be perfectly content with a phone between say 4.5 and 4.8". I certainly wouldn't not complain if it were 5" but I can at least understand that there are other possibilities than 4" or 5" or larger. 

Once you get used to a larger display it is very hard to go back to a smaller one. Even people that complain about problems with Android phones will put up with the irritation to keep that display. I had an HTC EVO which at the time was considered large at 4.3" but really is not much larger than my iPhone and even that tiny increase was really nice. I would bet my life Apple will make a larger iPhone, but I just can't wager a guess as to when that might be. This year seems doubtful but when they do it will be fun to see all the praise for the new iPhone and hear all the naysayers do an about face and hope the rest of us don't remember all the reasons why Apple won't ever do it. 

• Reply 35 of 53
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I certainly wouldn't not complain if it were 5" but I can at least understand that there are other possibilities than 4" or 5" or larger. 

That would make two people - you and Flavor Fav. Hardly a large market.

• Reply 36 of 53
    gwmac wrote: »
    Once again it doesn't have to be 5" and certainly the iPad mini isn't an option. But there are a lot of choices in between 4" and 5". Most people that want a larger iPhone would be perfectly content with a phone between say 4.5 and 4.8". I certainly wouldn't not complain if it were 5" but I can at least understand that there are other possibilities than 4" or 5" or larger. 

Once you get used to a larger display it is very hard to go back to a smaller one. Even people that complain about problems with Android phones will put up with the irritation to keep that display. I had an HTC EVO which at the time was considered large at 4.3" but really is not much larger than my iPhone and even that tiny increase was really nice. I would bet my life Apple will make a larger iPhone, but I just can't wager a guess as to when that might be. This year seems doubtful but when they do it will be fun to see all the praise for the new iPhone and hear all the naysayers do an about face and hope the rest of us don't remember all the reasons why Apple won't ever do it. 

Still waiting for the evidence that most people prefer phones larger than the iPhone 5. Your preference doesn't constitute the market.

You and others keep saying that Apple is missing the boat by not offering a larger phone, yet you never seem to provide evidence. When pushed, you cite the fact that Samsung (and others) sell 5" and larger phones. When I pointed out that those phones make up only a tiny piece of the market, you wave your hands around and pretend that you didn't really mean 5", but meant something else entirely.

Again, please provide the evidence to back your claim that Apple is missing a significant part of the market.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    sol77 wrote: »
    I don't think you necessarily did any lumping, but lumping did seem implied.  Don't imply lumping.  If you lump, lump in the light.

Second...because the LTE iPad mini doesn't fit comfortably in one's jeans/pants/coat pocket, of course.  A five inch phone doesn't have to be "better"...it just has to be a viable solution for enough people to make Apple money.  It just might be, but I'm not holding my breath.

The evidence is that 5" phones are a tiny piece of the market.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    jamesmacjamesmac Posts: 115member
    Seems this author doesn't know the industry particularly well. It's highly unlikely that Apple will compete in the "low-end smartphone market" but much more likely to compete in the mid-range market ($200-$400).

Also, the cost difference between a polycarbonate vs. aluminum body is not what will allow Apple to compete in emerging markets, that's simply a marketing decision to differentiate what will be the two tiers of Apple phones.

This is going to be a tough balance for Apple, because mid-range phones will soon feature quad core processors and 4.5" screens. Apple needs to differentiate between its two tiers, but also must be competitive with Android competitors.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Still waiting for the evidence that most people prefer phones larger than the iPhone 5. Your preference doesn't constitute the market.

You and others keep saying that Apple is missing the boat by not offering a larger phone, yet you never seem to provide evidence. When pushed, you cite the fact that Samsung (and others) sell 5" and larger phones. When I pointed out that those phones make up only a tiny piece of the market, you wave your hands around and pretend that you didn't really mean 5", but meant something else entirely.

Again, please provide the evidence to back your claim that Apple is missing a significant part of the market.

Not once will you ever see a post from me requesting an iPhone larger than 5". That is not to say I wouldn't be very happy with one, but I think 4.8" is the sweet spot.  That is the typical straw man argument you and others always resort to. You twist words and say or assume wanting a larger iPhone means wanting one 5" or larger. Once again and I hope you have your reading comprehension glasses on this time,  there is a slew of possibilities BETWEEN 4" and 5". Clear enough now? If you think I am alone or even in the minority you are delusional.

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-would-you-buy-an-iphone-with-a-bigger-screen-2013-1

• Reply 40 of 53
    jamesmacjamesmac Posts: 115member

According to Statcounter 1024x768 resolution is the second most common (after 320x480) for smartphones globally.   Apple needs to move with the market and the market is moving towards larger screens.  If the 5S screen is 4" (as expected) this is going to limit growth.