Google makes Quickoffice available for iPhone in latest update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After months of waiting, Google has finally released a version of its Quickoffice app that is compatible with Apple's iPhone, allowing Apps for Business customers to collaborate with colleagues who haven't made the switch to Google Docs.

Quickoffice


Announced on Tuesday, the Quickoffice update brings the app to version 6.0.1, offering iPhone support for the first time since being released on iOS as an iPad only title in December. The software originally offered native apps for a variety of mobile platforms, but Google cut support after purchasing Quickoffice in mid-2012.

Quickoffice is for Google Apps for Business customers only, and allows users to view and edit Microsoft Office files like Excel and Powerpoint, while saving compatible copies of the files to Google Drive. The app is basically a bridge between Google Docs and Microsoft's suite of productivity tools, spanning the gap between users in both camps. The free update also runs on Android devices, bringing even more collaborators into the fold.

Along with the new device support, Quickoffice now lets Apps for Business account holders access Google Drive folders, including Shared With Me, Starred, Recent and any subfolders, in-app.

Quickoffice for iOS is a free 61.4MB universal app that can be downloaded now from the App Store.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <em>Quickoffice</em> for iOS is a free 61.4MB universal app that can be <a href="https://http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=itunes.apple.com/ke/app/quickoffice-exclusively-for/id578386521?mt=8">downloaded now</a> from the App Store.

    Cool. Yet another way to give Google access to your personal information.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    And how does this make any real difference when compared with the elegant iLife Apps that cost a mere pittance other than to give Google more of your internet footprint. PASS!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,520member
    And how does this make any real difference when compared with the elegant iLife Apps that cost a mere pittance other than to give Google more of your internet footprint. PASS!

    Two things going on here...

    1) MS will be forced to release Office fo R iDevices

    2) Apple if they are smart, will significantly update iWork for both OS X and iOS
  • Reply 4 of 7
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,223member
    Two things going on here...

    1) MS will be forced to release Office fo R iDevices

    2) Apple if they are smart, will significantly update iWork for both OS X and iOS

    I hope so. iWork's badly in need of an upgrade/update. Especially Numbers, which I have stopped using given its mediocre functionality.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    I hope so. iWork's badly in need of an upgrade/update. Especially Numbers, which I have stopped using given its mediocre functionality.


    Couldn't agree more, it is time for a massive update so that iWork can compete with office in functionality. Especially now that office is going to have a bit of resistance moving towards their new subscription method of payment. 

  • Reply 6 of 7
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post


    Couldn't agree more, it is time for a massive update so that iWork can compete with office in functionality. Especially now that office is going to have a bit of resistance moving towards their new subscription method of payment. 



     


    Numbers is a continuing disappointment, and Apple seems ambivalent about actually developing it (perhaps because they feel that it is too hard to dislodge office). A shame, because Keynote is quite nice (though not quite the functionality of PowerPoint), Pages has nice templates, and the Mac version of Office is considerably inferior to the PC version.

  • Reply 7 of 7

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igriv View Post


     


    Numbers is a continuing disappointment, and Apple seems ambivalent about actually developing it (perhaps because they feel that it is too hard to dislodge office). A shame, because Keynote is quite nice (though not quite the functionality of PowerPoint), Pages has nice templates, and the Mac version of Office is considerably inferior to the PC version.



     


    While I'd love to see more parity between iWork and Office, I haven't noticed a "considerably inferiority to the PC version" of the Mac version.


     


    Is this inferiority listed anywhere? I'm also interested in the differences between iWork on the Mac and iWork on the iDevices.

Sign In or Register to comment.