Fingerprint scanning tech predicted to be major component of Apple's 'iPhone 5S' & 'iWatch'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Rumors of a secure fingerprint scanner in Apple's anticipated "iPhone 5S" continue to surface, with one new report claiming the feature will also appear in an Apple "iWatch."

Analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets believes both the "iPhone 5S" and so-called "iWatch" will include fingerprint identification technology after meeting with a component supplier in a tour of China and Taiwan. He revealed the details of his meetings in a research note to investors that was provided to AppleInsider.

Apple's alleged fingerprint scanner will be used for "essential security purposes," he said. He expects its appearance will open up other opportunities for Apple, specifically the ability to enable credit card payments.

White compared Apple's alleged fingerprint scanning technology to Siri, the defining feature of the iPhone 4S when it launched in 2011. He believes a secure fingerprint reader will be the main selling point of an "iPhone 5S," which he expects will launch in July.

Beyond the next iPhone, White believes Apple's fingerprint scanning technology will come to other devices from the company, namely an "iWatch" wrist accessory that he expects will launch this year. In his tour, he found "early signs of movement in the supply chain," signaling Apple could be ramping up to produce such a device.

He also suggested in a separate note issued on Wednesday that an "iWatch" could play an important part with an Apple television set. White also gave details on a supposed "iRing" that would be worn on a user's finger and would aid in detecting motion controls with an Apple television.

Speculation of Apple's interest in secure fingerprint scanners has been driven by the company's acquisition of AuthenTec last year for $356 million. That company made a "Smart Sensor" component that could embed fingerprint readers underneath a touchscreen display.

Fingerprint

Rumors of a fingerprint reader in an "iPhone 5S" gained steam earlier this year, when analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said Apple plans to include one embedded under the device's home button. Kuo has a strong track record in predicting Apple's future product pipeline ??in particular, he accurately predicted the company's entire fall lineup last year.

According to Kuo, the new fingerprint scanner would allow Apple to replace the user of usernames and passwords, giving users the ability to authenticate in a more efficient manner. He also expects the scanner will integrate with applications such as Passbook to enhance their functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    If the iPhone 5S does have a fingerprint scanner I might retire my iPhone 4S. If not I'll probably await the redesigned (hopefully) iPhone 6.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I have a couple problems with this purported solution to FP scanning.

1. not everyone uses the same finger every time to press the home button...or the same hand every time for that matter.  So the scanner would have to identify all 10 of your fingers on initial setup.

2. the home button is not the same size as most people's fingers, sometimes you press it with the tip of your finger, sometimes the center.  No one presses it in the same spot every time.

3. sometimes if my phone or iPad is lying on my desk and i want to check the time or see the home screen, I do one of two things: press the home button or press the power button on the top.

4. this doesn't seem like an invisible tech.  to me it would have to be instant that it scans and we all know scanning tech is slow.  If you want to unlock your phone quickly and within a reasonable amount of time, this is not a good solution.

How do you overcome this?  I have no idea, but it doesn't sound like a reliable solution to security.  Heck, the slide to unlock works about 90% of the time for me.  Maybe my fingers are too callused to register on the touch screen?

Point is, something that should be an almost invisible tech should not have such complications, especially from a company like Apple.

• Reply 3 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

1. not everyone uses the same finger every time to press the home button...or the same hand every time for that matter.  So the scanner would have to identify all 10 of your fingers on initial setup.

2. the home button is not the same size as most people's fingers, sometimes you press it with the tip of your finger, sometimes the center.  No one presses it in the same spot every time.

3. sometimes if my phone or iPad is lying on my desk and i want to check the time or see the home screen, I do one of two things: press the home button or press the power button on the top.

4. this doesn't seem like an invisible tech.  to me it would have to be instant that it scans and we all know scanning tech is slow.  If you want to unlock your phone quickly and within a reasonable amount of time, this is not a good solution.

How do you overcome this?  I have no idea, but it doesn't sound like a reliable solution to security.  Heck, the slide to unlock works about 90% of the time for me.  Maybe my fingers are too callused to register on the touch screen?

Point is, something that should be an almost invisible tech should not have such complications, especially from a company like Apple.

You're assuming that the scanner is under the home button when there is no reason to do so.  Also, they will probably let you pick which finger you use in that if they didn't, huge numbers of people couldn't use the phone.  

• Reply 4 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're assuming that the scanner is under the home button when there is no reason to do so.  Also, they will probably let you pick which finger you use in that if they didn't, huge numbers of people couldn't use the phone.  

you miss my point, in that not everyone uses the same finger all the time to unlock their phones.  For this to be a reliable and invisible tech...meaning is just works...requiring a only one finger to unlock the phone is not a good solution.

Also, the article does state that the FP scanner would be under the home button:

Quote:

...analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said Apple plans to include one embedded under the device's home button...

• Reply 5 of 33
    Hopefully this will me the end of passwords on the iPhone. I have some really long passwords (for banking etc.) that have number and punctuation in them. On the small iPhone screen it can a while to enter and multiple tries.getting rid of passwords would make my phone sooo much easier to use.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Just to add a little color to the usefulness of a finger print scanner on the iWatch.

It should be understood that not only will an iwatch an iPhone pair with each other, but multiple iWatches and/or iPhones will pair with each other.

Two specific benefit of this is family situations and security.

The obvious one is security from loss and theft of device. If iPhone and iWatch move away greater than 10 ft you get vibration. If iPhone and iWatch move away greater than 30 yards you get alarm. In addition, multiple watches and multiple phones can be set to respond to different distances say for kids iWatches if child moves greater than 20 feet away vibration and 50 feet alarm etc.

For older kids, fingerprint scanners on iWatches can confirm device and specific child location. A teenager may be promoted on iWatch every 30 minutes to touch finger to watch screen with a vibration. Once touched, the watch will confirm his/her location and that they are actually at that location.

The finger print scanner and recent purchase of in building location should give you a sense of some of the features to come. Trust me, the iWatch will be a bigger success than the iPad and will Cary equally good margins and profitability. The is the next big thing. You all are going to love it.

• Reply 7 of 33
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

If the iPhone 5S does have a fingerprint scanner I might retire my iPhone 4S. If not I'll probably await the redesigned (hopefully) iPhone 6.

Me too. Same.

• Reply 8 of 33
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

It's so funny that a lower end iPhone and a 5S are seen as facts now... so the stock can drop when they don't release them on june.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/04/02/what-we-now-know-about-apples-new-iphones/?mod=e2tw

• Reply 9 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Rumors of a secure fingerprint scanner in Apple's anticipated "iPhone 5S" continue to surface, with one new report claiming the feature will also appear in an Apple "iWatch."

Analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets believes both the "iPhone 5S" and so-called "iWatch" will include fingerprint identification technology after meeting with a component supplier in a tour of China and Taiwan. He revealed the details of his meetings in a research note to investors that was provided to <em>AppleInsider</em>.

Brian White is only a step up from Digitimes. A very small step.

If Apple were to implement fingerprint scanning, it would not be called the iPhone 5S. That's far too large of a change for the 's' designation.
    antkm1 wrote: »
    you miss my point, in that not everyone uses the same finger all the time to unlock their phones.  For this to be a reliable and invisible tech...meaning is just works...requiring a only one finger to unlock the phone is not a good solution.

Easy enough to fix. My laptop has fingerprint scanning and you can program as many fingers as you want. IIRC, you're required to program 3 by default.

However, I think you're underestimating the number of people who always use the same finger for scanning. I sure do - and suspect that others do, as well.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member

I have a hard time believing this would end up being a major differentiation for the iPhone 5s unless it ended up being part of a mobile payment strategy.  But then again, if the pattern of iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4s is expected to roughly repeat, we shouldn't see much focus on hardware and most changes coming on the iOS side (e.g. Siri only available on the 4s)

• Reply 11 of 33
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

Quote:

Originally Posted by applesupertramp View Post

It should be understood that not only might the rumored iwatch and an iPhone pair with each other, but multiple iWatches and/or iPhones could possibly pair with each other.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 12 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Also, the article does state that the FP scanner would be under the home button:

Yes, but for the same reasons you originally mentioned, the home button would be an awful location for the scanner if it could instead be placed under the screen.  Then, when you turn on the phone, instead of presenting you with "swipe to open" it could instead present a scanner for whatever finger (or fingers) you've set up as security.  

The company they recently bought had just invented a new technology that allowed fingerprint scanners to be integrated into a normal LCD screen, so I continue to hope that this is the solution Apple will go for.  

If, as most people think, it's going to be under the home button, then I see all the same problems you do and more.  A tiny fingerprint scanner under the home button would be essentially an identical solution to all the other fingerprint scanners out there, not useful for all users and therefore (IMO of course) just another "gimmick" at that stage. 

• Reply 13 of 33
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

...not everyone uses the same finger all the time to unlock their phones..

Why do you assume Apple would require everyone to use the same finger all of the time? Apple has smart people and if they release this technology you can be sure they will have thought of things like that.

• Reply 14 of 33
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member

Wow. Soon everyone will have their fingerprints available to the public. Hackers will have fun.

Soon sites like Facebook will require one's fingerprints to access. I'm sure the CIA can't wait for this to happen.

I imagine more "lost fingers" in the underworld realm.

• Reply 15 of 33
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Kinda simple solution if you think about it.

A Section in the Settings that says "Use Fingerprint Security" with an ON and OFF setting. Setting it to OFF will solve your problems.

And I would assume Home Screen activation would be still be by pressing with home or power. FPR would only be need to unlock the device or perform some functions in Apps

I hope Apple call the next one the iPhone 5X, just to mess with the press and predictions. 

• Reply 16 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're assuming that the scanner is under the home button when there is no reason to do so.

The only button on the front and there's no reason to put finger scanner there (under it)? Press button to turn on display, keep finger on button, the UI let's you know your finger is being scanned and boom your phone is unlocked simply and never accidentally. Pressing the button indicates to the iDevice "I wish to unlock you", so said devices looks for finger print presence if the feature is ON. I think this is more than a good reason to do so. And it would be very Apple method.

My only doubt is if all this is technically possible in a iPhone this year or the next. I have my doubts, but want Apple to prove me wrong.

• Reply 17 of 33
    rmbp15rmbp15 Posts: 5member

Save time from having to put passlock code all the time

• Reply 18 of 33
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Color me skeptical but interested regarding finger print tech.

To me the obvious solution is RFID tages. Next to these 'smart phones' one of the more expensive items people own and use every day are automobiles and their wallets(credit cards etc).

Car access is simply by a physical key or keyfob(RFID tag) controlled by the owner.

For me-  that is the solution I would prefer. 99% of the places I go I have my car keys and wallet in close proximity. Just let me use an RFID tag in my key chain or in my wallet. The other 1% Ill type a password.  If its good enough for a $20k car.. its good enough for $500 phone.

iWatch integration... IMO IF there is an iWatch, it seems it would more an accessory,  not a 'main feature' of the "i" ecosystem. IMO it would be a 'hobby'.  I would like to have one when I excercise... thats about it. 

Gesssh I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy.image

• Reply 19 of 33
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I think too many people are assuming this will be built into the Home button. Note that the company Apple acquired focuses on an actual display based fingerprint scanner. This reminds me of one of the first apps for 'iPhone OS' back in 2007, a fake fingerprint scanner. (Followed by various bubbly pop apps!). Anyway, it is possible Apple will discard the Home button altogether one day and the screen will be used to unlock the phone. (I have a Nexus 4, and there are already multiple unlock options, face recognition included, that does work, but of course can be overridden using a photo!)

They need to deal with gloves too.

The best security system ever is eye prints that use the blood vessels at the rear of the eye. Such a system would be a lot more reliable and less of a hassle.
  • Reply 20 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If Apple were to implement fingerprint scanning, it would not be called the iPhone 5S. That's far too large of a change for the 's' designation.

Not if it looks exactly like an iPhone 5.

[drumroll]

Introducing the new iPhone 5S.  The S is for "Security".