Rumor: iOS 7 to see significant overhaul, development running behind schedule

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    I have always hated that kid & candy design. Hopefully JI will correct this. For me, Retina is good for reading, pix...
  • Reply 42 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am cautiously optimistic...

I expect 7 to be the biggest change to iOS since they added the app store.

That's your cautiously optimistic?

• Reply 43 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it?

You don't need overblown textures to enjoy the benefits of a hi-DPI display. Icons, wallpapers, buttons, text, and colour accuracy will still enjoy the benefits of Retina.

• Reply 44 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by khit View Post

iOS is very good OS. I hope Apple will add widgets in the next OS.

IMO, if you want widgets use Android.

• Reply 45 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So let's see if I can predict the FUD that's going to come from the usual trolls:

- Apple is incompetent since they are behind schedule.

- Apple will have bugs because they didn't take their time releasing it.

- Apple is arbitrarily changing the UI and confusing users.

- Apple's UI is stale and needs to be changed.

There will be 100 other self-contradictory complaints, but I'm to tired to write them all down.

Why waste your energy and our time with comments like this? There will always be trolls, just try to ignore them.

• Reply 46 of 91
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

WWDC will come around and people will be disappointed because the change isn't as massive as the media hype was.

What media hype?

• Reply 47 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Doesn't Apple have enough money to hire some more good engineers?

9 women can't make a baby in 1 month.

• Reply 48 of 91
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Doesn't Apple have enough money to hire some more good engineers?

No! That would affect their margins, and that would be a tragedy! 

• Reply 49 of 91
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    ho hmmm
  • Reply 50 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly.

Costly in the short run?

• Reply 51 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I don't trust the team who put together launch pad and stacks and finder to build a better iOS. Sorry if that breaks your fan club rules. Not a fan.

Your comment is factually inaccurate.

• Reply 52 of 91
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Scaling back on textures and glitz does not require rigorous testing, and I think that's all this rumor adds up to. New features and under the hood improvements are what need rigorous testing. These delays are more likely to be from rewriting iOS in assembly than from a few UI tweaks.

Cash907 View Post

And my only complaint with iOS is that last part you mentioned: It's stale. Not the UI, the OS itself and it's functionality. There is a lot that Android clearly wins at when it comes to innovation, and I would really like to see Apple try some new things and shake it up a bit. You know what I miss about the early days of the iPhone? That "wow" factor. When you pulled one out in public, people instantly cluttered around it because it looked like nothing else out there. The same goes for products like the original iPod, the iPad, heck even the iMac. A friend of mine who works for AT&T corporate has been field testing the new HTC One, and he gets the same reactions when using it in public that I used to with my iPhone. People are excited, ask questions, want to try using it. I don't think Apple has seen anything like that since the 4 was released, and that's sad.

Google is patenting a method to reduce that 'wow' factor when trying to save battery life, because a dead phone has no wow at all. But I think you have highlighted the fundamentally different approach Apple takes to phones: other companies make phones to be sold, whereas Apple makes phones to be used. HTC can make one that looks interesting, but can it demonstrate a richer user experience over the course of a two year contract? You'd better hope so, because it's likely never getting the next Android update and feature set.

jeffreytgilbert View Post

I don't trust the team who put together launch pad and stacks and finder to build a better iOS. Sorry if that breaks your fan club rules. Not a fan.

A fine pre-emptive defensive, but it's all personal preference, and flaming torches are typically discouraged here. I don't trust the team who built IE8, Vista, and Surface to build a phone OS, but that's my personal preference, forced onto no one.

macapptraining View Post

A universal UI needs to be implemented between iOS and OS X. Hopefully sooner than later. This will surely benefit new Apple customers with ease of use and familiarity between the iOS devices and Macs.

No thanks. I have no desire to revisit the "Windows everywhere" ethos that brought us Windows Mobile, with its stylus-driven start menu and pulldown menus. Ditto for Windows 8 and its Launchpad/WP8 layer.

Ireland View Post

gwmac View Post

I am cautiously optimistic...

I expect 7 to be the biggest change to iOS since they added the app store.

That's your cautiously optimistic?

Makes sense to me. They are two different types of statement. "Here's what I expect, and this is how I feel about it."

• Reply 53 of 91

Ireland View Post

kevt View Post

Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly.

Costly in the short run?

Only costly to tech bloggers whose job depends on having something new and flashy to write about every week. That's why Apple doesn't seem to get a fair shake in the media: they take time to make real products, instead of going the droid route of a hundred phone models per year with slightly tweaked and mostly impractical features.

But the Apple-centric press is always hungry too, so we get mostly rumors and reactions to the general tech press; Cult of Mac has almost gone fully to sponsored accessory reviews, with the occasional quality Elgan piece.

Compare it to JCP's recently failed experiment to give you reasonable, rarely-fluctuating prices every day, breaking from the clothing retail world of sales, coupons, doorbusters, and messy piles of clearance. Turns out the general populace prefers the mess, and paying $35 for Levis (originally 65 marked down to 40 this week with a $5 off coupon today only!) versus JCP having them for $30 every day as is. Because they're saving.

• Reply 54 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just hope after all the 'flattening' and 'simplification' Apple keep those cute cog wheels that turn during an iOS update. I love them :)

On a more serious note, I wonder why Apple doesn't offer two choices for the GUI in general settings ... a) Simple or b) Skeuomorphic and let the user decide.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, but 9 women can make 9 babies in 9 months.

• Reply 56 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »

Yes, but 9 women can make 9 babies in 9 months.

Which doesn't help with getting that one baby (iOS 7) out the door sooner.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it?

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. You believe rich-textures are "taking full advantage of a retina display"? Typography, clean lines (even on an angle) does not look noticeably better on a retina display to you? Just play Letter Press - it's a perfect example of how a clean design really shines on a high resolution display. Don't forget about digital photos, detailed technical drawings, etc.

• Reply 58 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

What media hype?

Did a google news search and am already seeing headlines about massive changes coming to iOS 7.

speaking of google, how come there seems to be no discussion about their news search being f'd up. If you do a search by date vs relevance it doesn't list things in order.  I could see something from 10 hours ago right next to something from 10 minutes ago.  Been that way for over a week now.

• Reply 59 of 91
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which doesn't help with getting that one baby (iOS 7) out the door sooner.

Eventually, down the road, it will. Everything will come out much sooner because the team won't be stretched so thin and projects will get completed on time.

Of course, if nobody has a clue what they are doing then nothing will get done.

• Reply 60 of 91

Rogifan View Post

speaking of google, how come there seems to be no discussion about their news search being f'd up. If you do a search by date vs relevance it doesn't list things in order.  I could see something from 10 hours ago right next to something from 10 minutes ago.  Been that way for over a week now.

I think they have a disclaimer that news is sorted by when it's "added to Google's index."

But my Google results have generally been getting worse lately, since it tries to incorporate more 'close enough' results, synonyms of my search terms. Last week I searched for stuff related to TPAC (the Topeka Performing Arts Center) and most of the results were about Tupac Shakur.