Dominant mobile traffic share of Apple's iOS continues to grow against Android

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Hear that everyone? A company that just posted the highest sales, profits, revenue in it's entire record breaking history is "finished" as a company. You know, because those things don't really matter. It's how people "feel", you know, the gut feeling anonymous people like the joker I quoted have that determines the fate of a company, not their sales numbers, not their revenue, not their customer satisfaction, none of that. Dropping sales numbers? What the **** are you talking about? Apple's sales are constantly rising, and rising significantly. How does someone who spouts such bald faced untruths have 625 posts on this forum? You're either a massive liar and a troll, or grotesquely ignorant, and I'm not sure which is worse.

It's hard to believe that someone with 1427 posts on this forum has no sense of humor whatsoever.

• Reply 22 of 38
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The business user aspect would help segment the traffic into categories - LinkedIn being part of a business category. But yes, most frequent LinkedIn users will no doubt use the App. 

Most sites like LinkedIn try very hard to persuade you to use the app, so I am guessing that the vast majority of mobile users use the app.

• Reply 23 of 38
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I thought the whole purpose of the Samsung Galaxy S series was that the larger the display the more likely consumers would surf the web. I'm guessing that most of the Android-using consumers are still running Android smartphones with smaller displays and are less likely to go web surfing. I hear so many conflicting stories about Android vs iOS, it's really hard to believe who's telling the truth. I just figured that with Apple's share price steadily decreasing, Android is taking everything away from Apple. Nearly everyone is in agreement that Apple is finished as a company since Steve Jobs has died. I sure hope it isn't so but all of Apple's dropping sales numbers points to it being that way.

Proof or admit that you are nothing more than a retard that loves to spread FUD.

show YoY declines that are not in line with restraints in production or the iPod line.

• Reply 24 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    igriv wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that someone with 1427 posts on this forum has no sense of humor whatsoever.

It's hard to believe that someone with 693 posts has never added anything of value to the forum.

Don't worry, with more practice, maybe you'll manage to do something useful some day.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

And you are saying this is NOT true (about the browser ID)?

Are you kidding?

Only 1 on a zillion android user knows about that and actually changes it. 

• Reply 26 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I thought the whole purpose of the Samsung Galaxy S series was that the larger the display the more likely consumers would surf the web. I'm guessing that most of the Android-using consumers are still running Android smartphones with smaller displays and are less likely to go web surfing. I hear so many conflicting stories about Android vs iOS, it's really hard to believe who's telling the truth. I just figured that with Apple's share price steadily decreasing, Android is taking everything away from Apple. Nearly everyone is in agreement that Apple is finished as a company since Steve Jobs has died. I sure hope it isn't so but all of Apple's dropping sales numbers points to it being that way.

The problem is perspective. Because this only includes sites and traffic from US. And Given how well Apple are doing in English Speaking Countries, that is US, UK and Australia. I wouldn't be surprised. But outside those circles, what you read about Android and Larger Screens are properly right.

And please no more this taking away, dropping sales etc. Apple is Growing in sales, and product and revenue. The overall size of Smartphone market is growing as well. It just happens Android is growing faster then Apple is growing. Now also remember when you are at smaller numbers like ( for example only ) 10% market shares, growing 20% is a lot easier then say Apple's 60% market shares.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's an incredibly stupid analysis.

They're going to project the entire market based on TEN sites? And ten distinctly non-average sites? Sounds pretty clueless.

Not to mention, of course, that they're making a big deal out of changes in the numbers that are less than the likely error.

I agree. I have not been to any of these sites on my iPhone. How about Google, YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia, Yelp and other sites? 

• Reply 28 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Yes, Apples phone sales numbers haven't "dropped".
  • Reply 29 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... Well, back to business…

Wayyy too much information!  But I hope everything worked out in the end.

• Reply 30 of 38
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I have a very serious question. Do all these surveys also track actual apps that access the web? Let me give you an example. For news I have the NYT, Pulse, CNN, and several local TV and newspaper apps. For tech type news, I also use apps for those sites and the same with sports. When I want to check out movie times I can use IMDB app. For restaurants I have apps for that as well. I use data all the time but I am finding that I use the actual browser less and less directly.

My biggest use of the browser is opening the Google app and speaking a search term which is extremely accurate and much faster than typing it. I used to use Siri but Google is more accurate for unusual and less used words. Let me give you an example.

Ask Siri, what is the capital of Kazakhstan. More than likely she will say say, would you like me to search the web for what is the capital of cosmic Stan?

Try it on Google and it says Astana right away.

I do prefer Safar as a browser over the google app browser, but I just don't use it very often anymore since I have so many good and specific apps for what I want to view on the web. Just curious if many of you are doing the same in terms of more app use for web content vs. browser use.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Piper Jaffray looked at Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo, and Dictionary.com. Among those sites, Apple's iOS platform averaged better than 65 percent of all traffic across February and March, while Android was under 30 percent.

Well, for the record the only site here I ever have visited on my smartphone is LinkedIn.  

Some of the sites listed here are for finding answers to questions, which Google does a better job of anyway.  

The presence of White Pages and Dictionary.com indicates that iOS users are less likely to enter a contact's phone number into their phone, more likely to stalk others, and less literate than Android users.  

• Reply 32 of 38
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.

I wonder if it counts unique visits, or if it also includes every page being reloaded by the browser when the user moves around each site.

• Reply 33 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

And you are saying this is NOT true (about the browser ID)?

Absolutely not true. Most Android users don't change their browser IDs because they don't know how or why they would do so, just like most iOS users don't jailbreak. Why is it that the nerd herd always thinks they are the norm rather than the weird exception?

• Reply 34 of 38
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I don't really have an issue with this report despite the questionable process. The reports of usage are too numerous too ignore; Citrix, Egnyte, Good Technologies, Gogo, Net Applications, Ooyala, etc.

At some point the preponderance of evidence should be assumed to be correct. A "customizable," open source paperweight is still just a paperweight.

[LIST]
    [*] Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 25 January 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/25/ipad_takes_96_of_tablets_iphone_53_of_phones_in_good_mobile_enterprise_study_/]iPad takes 96% of tablets, iPhone 53% of phones in Good mobile enterprise study[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.

[*] Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 1 February 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/01/apples-ios-mobile-web-share-calls-into-question-reports-touting-android-sales-supremacy]Apple's iOS mobile web share calls into question reports touting Android sales supremacy[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.

[*] Unattributed. Published 7 March 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/new-study-shows-ios-gobbling-up-enterprise-market-share-from-android]New study shows iOS gobbling up enterprise market share from Android[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.

[*] Unattributed. 7 March 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/apples-ios-lineup-accounts-for-84-of-in-flight-wi-fi-traffic-from-mobile-devices]Apple's iOS lineup accounts for 84% of in-flight Wi-Fi traffic from mobile devices[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.

[*] Unattributed. Published 11 March 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/11/apples-ios-accounts-for-two-thirds-of-mobile-web-video-watching-report-says]Apple's iPhone accounts for two thirds of smartphones watching Web videos, report says[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.

[*] Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 28 March 2013. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/28/citrix-details-apples-ios-iwork-lead-in-enterprise-adoption]Citrix details Apple's iOS, iWork lead in enterprise adoption[/URL]. AppleInsider. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 35 of 38
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Absolutely not true. Most Android users don't change their browser IDs because they don't know how or why they would do so, just like most iOS users don't jailbreak. Why is it that the nerd herd always thinks they are the norm rather than the weird exception?

The argument from the poster to which you responded is just a red herring. Notice that the same people don't suggest that Apple users may have modified the ID (they can). Furthermore, if so many Android users are modifying their ID then reports should indicate that certain browsers and operating systems have greater share but the only browser or operating system with dominant share is Apple iOS. Are all the Android users modifying their ID to indicate they are using Apple iOS? If so, why?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    spacepowerspacepower Posts: 208member
    jragosta wrote: »
    I don't care if it's 10 from the top 100 or 10 from the bottom 100. It's not representative - for several reasons:

1. They don't state how they selected the 10 so we don't know if the 10 are representative of the top 100 or not. (for example, one of their sites is 'answers.com'. It is quite possible that Android users are more likely to simply use Google than iOS users, so the result would be biased. Or, perhaps the Android LinkedIn app is more advanced than the iOS one, so Android users are more likely to bypass the web site by using the app instead (or vice versa).

2. Apple may have a larger percentage of the top 100 than for all apps as a whole (for example, articles about Apple are more likely to make the top 100 sites than articles about HTC), so the top 100 may or may not be representative of the entire population.

3. The 'differences' being reported are likely within experimental error, so there's really no different to speak of, anyway.

There's nothing here that even remotely suggests that the results of this 'study' have any validity.

First, lets agree that many of these studies are irrelevant. Like many IDC etc... studies, especially the online polls.

The results here are factual for those sites but may or may not represent the other 90 of the top 100. The issue here is that many websites want to keep usage data private, or sell it.

Why these specific 10 sites? Let's put on our "common sense thinking caps" to theorize.

Most likely these 10 sites use the same web metrics/analsys company. That company collects and analyzes the data and sells its reports to Investment firms and Wall Street banks. The company isn't lying about the data, they just have a limited data set..

Google via default search engine in iOS and Android, is most likely the #1 website/service accessed by mobile devices. Google has these platform metrics, but I have never seen them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and they released that data.

My assumption ( could be very wrong ).
    If they haven't released their search metrics, it's because Android isn't #1 in Google web searches from mobile devices.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month. The crazy thing is that there are, what, 3,4,5,6 times as many Android users as iOS users?

If Google did release this web search data via mobile OS, please post a link and feel free to insult me, I won't take it personably.

Food for thought...
  • Reply 37 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    spacepower wrote: »
    First, lets agree that many of these studies are irrelevant. Like many IDC etc... studies, especially the online polls.

The results here are factual for those sites but may or may not represent the other 90 of the top 100. The issue here is that many websites want to keep usage data private, or sell it.

Why these specific 10 sites? Let's put on our "common sense thinking caps" to theorize.

Most likely these 10 sites use the same web metrics/analsys company. That company collects and analyzes the data and sells its reports to Investment firms and Wall Street banks. The company isn't lying about the data, they just have a limited data set..

Google via default search engine in iOS and Android, is most likely the #1 website/service accessed by mobile devices. Google has these platform metrics, but I have never seen them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and they released that data.

My assumption ( could be very wrong ).
    If they haven't released their search metrics, it's because Android isn't #1 in Google web searches from mobile devices.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month. The crazy thing is that there are, what, 3,4,5,6 times as many Android users as iOS users?

If Google did release this web search data via mobile OS, please post a link and feel free to insult me, I won't take it personably.

Food for thought...

You would think that Google would announce it if Android had the lead in mobile web searches, but there's no way to know for sure.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month.

Has Google ever said in such detail where it gets its income from?

Basically, Google is making money from all mobile devices, not just their own, which is a nice place to be in.

Side note: many people were misled long ago by a widely repeated (and bogus) claim that Google told Congress that most of their mobile income came from Apple.  This came from a carefully edited video snippet which quoted that "most of the web searches come from iOS devices".  Many articles have been written using that quote as a jumping off point.

Yet if you watch the entire Congressional testimony, what Google continued afterward to say was that, while most of their mobile searches at the time came from iOS devices, it did not matter monetarily, because the overwhelming majority of their mobile revenue came from ads inside apps.... NOT from mobile web searches.

This was quite a revelation, that most of their mobile revenue comes from apps, not searches, yet almost every news site totally missed it.