WEIRD net problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As I posted in General Discussion, I can't get into my email, or access ANY of Apple's web pages. I get a 100% packet loss with a ping for apple.com. I can access every other site completely normally, including this one.

Everyone else seems to be able to get to apple.com with no problem. For me, it seems as if it has dropped off the map for what I think has been two days. What the hell is happening here? Could there be some bottleneck somewhere?

I have tried restarting with no success. I simply can't imagine what could cause this, unless it is some kind of external network problem or hub problem relating to a geographic area. Suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    On the phone with Comcast now.......still no idea. It also doesn't work on my wife's ibook.

Update: Comcast said there have been other complaints from Mac users with the same problem. they are looking into it.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    alicealice Posts: 15member
    That is interesting: said he posted in General Discussion. Oh you can, can you? Where did you get it? Oh a net address! Oh you can, can you? That's a rather sweeping generalization. Your purpose is you it seems as if it has dropped off the map for what you think has been two days. I call it Hades. it is a good question. Have you tried a web search?Would you like to know more? It's possible. I'm not sure if I would like to try it. What's it like? Why can't you do it? Are you really a "he"?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know this sounds stupid, but have you tried other DNS servers?

try entering in 134.84.84.84 and see if it works then.

edit: oh yeah, just for kicks try to get to

<a href="http://www.ipod.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.ipod.com/</a>;

see if that loads.

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Without getting into Alice's insane, incomprehensible rant:

Apparently the problem has been fixed. Weird.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    like alcimedes said, it sounds like a dns-problem. maybe your isp fixed it.

and for alice's posts - i don't think that was a rant. i believe she has problems expressing herself.