Facebook unveils Facebook Home for Android, new Facebook-devoted HTC First

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Gross. I can't imagine a more shallow phone concept. Plus Facebook seems like such a big repository for baby pictures of everyone you've ever met in the last six years, so every time you check your phone, you see another forgotten acquaintance's icky little Winston Churchill.

I'm one of those people who gets annoyed with Windows superfluously reshuffling their control panel with every new version, so this news is also disgusting from a usability standpoint. If you thought people got butthurt over Facebook layout changes on the web, just wait until the latest Facebook Phone update...

• Reply 22 of 57
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

marokero View Post

I don't want to give FB any more ways to track me or my activities. I'm glad there are no plans to bring this to iOS.

No worries there, since Apple makes money selling devices and services. Facebook running on Google's Android is a perfect match, because both companies make money mining and selling you. It's like when we found out Jerry Sandusky's lawyer also had lewd conduct charges; scumbags sometimes stick together.

• Reply 23 of 57
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Please be aware that you are not a customer of Facebook YOU are a product being sold, you are assimilated
  • Reply 24 of 57
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

because you are the customer of Appl, with Facebook and Google the customers are the advertisers they get through to support very quickly. Because you are not the Facebook or Google customer----  you don't get support YOU are their product! What are you thinking really duhhhh

• Reply 25 of 57
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I have zero interest in Facebook but I think this is a good strategy for them. This is basically the middleware strategy some companies tried against Microsoft in the 90s but Google has no defence against it, so it could work. Everybody seems to forget that Microsoft's success with Windows came from their willingness to do everything to stop people from copying their APIs or building their own APIs on top of Windows, whereas Google has zero ability to do the same. Zuckerberg is an easy target but I think this was a smart move. They said they wrote their own animation layer and judging from the videos this runs a lot more smoothly than anything I've seen on Android before.

• Reply 26 of 57
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Does the Facebook interface appear on an iPhone in these pictures, or do my eyes deceive me?

Looking at the back as well, it's more like an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    poke wrote: »
    I have zero interest in Facebook but I think this is a good strategy for them. This is basically the middleware strategy some companies tried against Microsoft in the 90s but Google has no defence against it, so it could work. Everybody seems to forget that Microsoft's success with Windows came from their willingness to do everything to stop people from copying their APIs or building their own APIs on top of Windows, whereas Google has zero ability to do the same. Zuckerberg is an easy target but I think this was a smart move. They said they wrote their own animation layer and judging from the videos this runs a lot more smoothly than anything I've seen on Android before.

How is this middleware?
  • Reply 28 of 57
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    So I have to pay for a new phone so I can get a Facebook fancy Android OS, or go to setting on IOS for Free!!!
  • Reply 29 of 57
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Apple won't let this on iOS.  This takes over the phone UI.  No wonder Facebook sees this as an Android opportunity since the platform is so fragmented.  They are bringing unity where there isn't any.  Samsung will probably fight this though.  Watch Samsung create their own app store and block this.  Good luck Facebook!  I don't need you for my iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 57
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

This kinda reminds of AOLs buddy thingieme back in the day.

Fcuk - who cares if Joes online?

If I want to send him a message I can call, text, email, FaceTime et al.

Info overload imnsho.

Yet another worthless nifty trick from FB.

Thank god it's only available on Android.

• Reply 31 of 57
    mactel wrote: »
    Apple won't let this on iOS.  This takes over the phone UI.  No wonder Facebook sees this as an Android opportunity since the platform is so fragmented.  They are bringing unity where there isn't any.  Samsung will probably fight this though.  Watch Samsung create their own app store and block this.  Good luck Facebook!  I don't need you for my iPhone.

How does this bring unity? First of all, they are not releasing this for every version of Android. Second, the fragmentation problem has a lot to do with 3rd party apps not working on every version. Facebook Home does not fix that. The best they can bring is a common Home on a fraction of the fragmented ecosystem. I doubt that's what they were thinking.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    The 'phone' has already migrated away from just being a communication device - it is a full multi-purpose engine for doing what you want and for me, and many people I know, what I want to do is NOT centered around people but actions. For me this inverst the paradigm that's useful. I cannot imagine using an interface that is so people centric.

There will be the core, hardcore facebook users that may like this but once you want to get outside of facebook, which I would guess is still a majority of the time spent using a smart platform, this is going to be painful.

I don't think this is going anywhere.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Data, data, and more data. & ads.

Essentially they're eating right off of Google's plate.

Indeed. In fact, they are taking over the dining table while Google is being kept back in the kitchen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Please be aware that you are not a customer of Facebook YOU are a product being sold, you are assimilated

Perhaps. But, putting aside how one might feel about privacy or Facebook, it is a stroke of brilliance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

I disagree that it is middleware. But I agree it is a good strategy. In fact, as indicated above, I think it is frigging brilliant. Chat Heads can potentially be quite sticky all on its own. 

I don't remember the last time Google pulled off something so brilliant simultaneously on both the business and technology fronts.

It will be interesting to see how Google responds to this. And what of Apple? For sure, they will never allow this level of "integration". But what if Chat Heads becomes the first real Android-only killer app that can drive teenagers to give up their iPs?

• Reply 34 of 57
    physguy wrote: »
    The 'phone' has already migrated away from just being a communication device - it is a full multi-purpose engine for doing what you want and for me, and many people I know, what I want to do is NOT centered around people but actions. For me this inverst the paradigm that's useful. I cannot imagine using an interface that is so people centric.

There will be the core, hardcore facebook users that may like this but once you want to get outside of facebook, which I would guess is still a majority of the time spent using a smart platform, this is going to be painful.

I don't think this is going anywhere.

Perhaps you are focusing too much on yourself. I believe Zuckerberg when he said that the Facebook mobile app has been capturing 3 times as much use as the average app. In that case, he is making it easier for the masses to do what they are already doing the most often.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    How is Facebook going to make money with this?

Only Facebook knows, and they... don't know.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    pretzpretz Posts: 7member
    After watching my 14 year old daughter and her obsession with Facebook I reckon this could have quite an influence on the Apple vs Samsung preferences of that generation. Unfortunately for her, she only gets our cast-offs so she's 'stuck' with Apple until she starts buying her own phones. But yes, I think Zuckerbrrg is on a winner here - for the Facebook generation.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Expect Google+ Home on the next Android release. It'll even come a friendly Facebook Home uninstaller/sweeper.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    pretz wrote: »
    After watching my 14 year old daughter and her obsession with Facebook I reckon this could have quite an influence on the Apple vs Samsung preferences of that generation. Unfortunately for her, she only gets our cast-offs so she's 'stuck' with Apple until she starts buying her own phones. But yes, I think Zuckerbrrg is on a winner here - for the Facebook generation.

So why doesn't Facebook create a web browser-powered Ultrabook or tablet that is only capable of visiting Facebook sites? Why would the Facebook generation ever need to do anything but consume Facebook services on their Facebook terminals?
  • Reply 39 of 57
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Yup. When I have 40 seconds to perform a time-sensitive task, I simply MUST know what Carl had for dinner first, and that Becky's knee is still not better. I also prefer it when my data plan is siphoned by everyone else's instagram updates and "news."

Facebook, I use you daily. Hourly, even. But suck it. My world doesn't revolve around you.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Expect Google+ Home on the next Android release. It'll even come a friendly Facebook Home uninstaller/sweeper.

No.