T-Mobile carrier update brings LTE, Visual Voicemail for unlocked iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A software update released on Friday will give iPhone 5 users on T-Mobile access to the carrier's LTE network, in addition to adding a number of other features like Visual Voicemail

iMacs

T-Mobile on Friday updated its support forums (via TmoNews) to detail the new features the carrier update will bring. All eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card will now have access to Visual Voicemail, the Commercial Mobile Alert System, and LTE connectivity on T-Mobile's AWS spectrum for iPhone 5 users.

The update also brings HD Voice to T-Mobile iPhone 5 users, and it contains device/network optimizations that will improve battery life.

The update is restricted to iPhones running iOS 6.1.x or higher. Rumors of the update leaked earlier this week, and it has rolled out as predicted.

T-Mobile's network currently hosts roughly two million iPhone customers using unlocked devices, adding about 100,000 more per month. The carrier will begin officially carrying Apple's smartphone on April 12, with a 16GB iPhone 5 available for $99. Pre-orders for the device began on Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am getting news from some french press agencies that Apple will hold an event on april 18th?  Nothing on apple insider?

Update : It looks like this news is based on rumors. Still strange its being relay by normally more serious press.

• Reply 2 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm considering picking up one of those unlocked iPhone 5's.

When I travel to some foreign country, it would be nice just to pop a local sim into the phone and use it, screw roaming.

• Reply 3 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When I travel to some foreign country, it would be nice just to pop a local sim into the phone and use it, screw roaming.

Indeed. And you can get very nice plans with an unlock phone.  All my future phones will be unlock from now on.

• Reply 4 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I getting news from some french press agencies that Apple will hold an event on april 18th?  Nothing on apple insider?

That's just a few days before earnings, but I suppose that anything is possible.

I haven't seen any news of any Apple event on any english speaking sites today.

• Reply 5 of 35

Quote:

That's just a few days before earnings, but I suppose that anything is possible.

I haven't seen any news of any Apple event on any english speaking sites today.

All i can find is some rumors about iRadio on CNBC today.

• Reply 6 of 35

Quote:

All i can find is some rumors about iRadio on CNBC today.

The only thing that I found is this, but I doubt this is what they meant, since it's not officially an Apple run event.

CocoaConf | iOS/OS X Developer Conference

It starts on April 18th.

• Reply 7 of 35
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Are those local sims available in the Micro size which the iPhone 5 uses?

• Reply 8 of 35
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

I am getting news from some french press agencies that Apple will hold an event on april 18th?  Nothing on apple insider?

Update : It looks like this news is based on rumors. Still strange its being relay by normally more serious press.

Its way out of the norm for an official event to be on a Thursday

• Reply 9 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

They do sell the iPhone 5 in the countries that I was thinking about, so I'm fairly certain that I would be able to get the micro sim which would fit.

• Reply 10 of 35
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

You just cut it. Micro and nano sims are just smaller version of the regular size sim.

• Reply 11 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    haggar wrote: »
    Are those local sims available in the Micro[sic] size which the iPhone 5 uses?

It depends on where you travel. If the local carriers sell an iPhone 5 you'll likely be fine, but if not you can always slim down other SIMs to fit the nano-SIM if you are really in need.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Links and a translation, if possible? Thanks.

• Reply 13 of 35
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    Don't cut it, check with t-mobile first.
    I have had a micro t-mobile sim in my iPad for 5 months now with a pre-paid Walmart plan.
    All I did was activated the Walmart cheap phone, then went to a t-mobile store, gave them the t-mobile number and they swapped the sim to a micro at no cost.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    How will this "update" work? is it a new version of iOS? or is it a T-Mobile App update?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

How will this "update" work? is it a new version of iOS? or is it a T-Mobile App update?

Neither. Here's some info about it.

Carrier settings include updates to… …default apps such as Stocks, Maps, and Weather.

WHOA WAIT WHAT?!

Talk about your info… I had no idea this was the case. image

• Reply 16 of 35
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You just cut it. Micro and nano sims are just smaller version of the regular size sim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottjd View Post

Don't cut it, check with t-mobile first.

The local sim would be purchased in the country. If it was available as a micro-sim, no need to cut it.

If it's not available as a micro-sim, it would need to be cut.

• Reply 17 of 35
    tilttilt Posts: 396member

I wonder if this LTE & Visual Voicemail stuff will be available for pre-paid plans too.

Cheers

• Reply 18 of 35
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    chris_ca wrote: »

Just wanted to point out to folks who seem confused:

iPhone 4/4S uses a micro SIM.
    iPhone 5 uses a Nano SIM.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Did not receive an update yet. Mine is version 14.0. Going to settings general about does not trigger an update
  • Reply 20 of 35

Would visual voicemail work for unlocked iPhone 4?