Samsung pre-announces earnings, profits surge 53% to $7.7 billion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    I wonder how long it needs to grow that it earns as much as Apple .
  • Reply 42 of 67
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    OK, now they have the money to pay Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Think Apple will mirror this with an earnings beat, but revenue miss?

• Reply 44 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wonder how long it needs to grow that it earns as much as Apple .

Doesn't matter. They're earning and earning well above everyone else except for Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(Re: recognition of sales) Do you notice any differences?

Yes, I'm familiar with those.  Apple records a sale when shipped.  Samsung records the sale when delivered.

Both companies record the sale when the burden of ownership has passed to someone else and payment is assured.

Notice also that with Samsung, "if product sales are subject to customer acceptance, revenue is not recognized until customer acceptance occurs".

Quote:

3) What evidence do you have for your claim that "US retailer buying rebounded a couple of quarters later," ...

Not a claim.  Fact.  Court records from last year's Koh trial gave us Samsung's US tablet sales:

2010 Q4 = 262K   (Samsung reported "smooth" initial end user sales

2011 Q1 =  77K    (Down quarter that showed initial end user sales were slow.)

2011 Q2 = 266K   (Sales rebounded after the Q4 stock got sold.)

2011 Q3 = 293K   (Sales not only rebounded, they climbed.)

2011 Q4 = 347K

Quote:

4) I did not know that "retailer overbuying" was a problem for Apple "a couple of quarters last year." Please tell us more. Where did you see/read/hear about this?

Okay, you must not follow Apple very closely at all.  Others here know very well about it.

Last year, I heard about it from Tim Cook during two quarterly earnings calls, just like everyone else.  The first time was explaining why iPhone sales were down far more than could be expected from people simply holding off for a new model.  Cook had to explain that the previous quarter's sales into retailers were 2.6 million more than were actually sold through to end users during that quarter.

Quote:

And so what that did was, it increased sell in over sell through by 2.6 million units. - Tim Cook 3FQ12

Similarly, in the 4FQ12 earnings call, Cook had to again explain that a 3 million (18%) drop in iPad sales had occurred for the same reason:  retailers had bought too many the previous quarter and were holding back buying more while they sold their extra inventory.

Every company has quarters where sales drop because of retailers overbuying the previous quarter.  In most cases, the inventory eventually sells, so it all works out over time.

• Reply 46 of 67
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CentralParkMac View Post

It is time for Apple to pull up their socks and fix all their bugs. They are losing market share to their biggest rivals in Samsung.

Um no there not they actually gained market share against shamelessung in the US these last two quarters: 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/04/apple-extends-lead-over-samsung-gains-on-google-in-us-smartphone-market

• Reply 47 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, the Surface in the article is some huge table.

However, it's listed in the timeline for 2008, while the iPhone, which came out in 2007 is nowhere to be found on that timeline.

Reading that article was like reading the history of WWII, written by a skinhead.

+1

• Reply 48 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I too worry about other Android makers in the shadow of Samsung. HTC is paying attention. Their latest designs are ripped from someone's pages.

iPhone 5  Apple.

• Reply 49 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan 

And since the S4 has already been announced I'd be curious to know what this new product lineup is that's going to "upend the market".

The GS4 version 2 and GS4 version 3 one will have more memory and the other a faster processor¡/s

And anyalists will fawn all over themselves in gushing admiration of Shamelessungs innovation.

• Reply 50 of 67
    ireland wrote: »
    Good point, but regardless their phones will be the majority of that.
    Wrong. Last quarter their mobile division was around 48% of the total revenues. And that includes dumb phones, feature phones, smartphones and tablets. Samsung might not give detailed sales, but their quarterly earnings result do break things down by division.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wrong. Last quarter their mobile division was around 48% of the total revenues. And that includes dumb phones, feature phones, smartphones and tablets. Samsung might not give detailed sales, but their quarterly earnings result do break things down by division.
    How much does their mobile division contribute to the bottom line?
  • Reply 52 of 67
    rogifan wrote: »
    How much does their mobile division contribute to the bottom line?
    Now that I don't know since Samsung didn't break out that portion. Mobile did 27 trillion won, but IM did 31 trillion and Mobile is a division of IM.

IM had 5.4 trillion won operating profit last quarter so Monile was likely most of it. Though its odd Samsung would choose not to break out Mobile in operating profit when they did in revenues.
  • Reply 53 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Sold not shipped

Neither. Shipped and invoiced for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ars Technica's headline:  Samsung’s string of record quarterly profits ends softly at a cool $7.7 billion

Wow! $7.7 billion! It will take them two-quarters of profit to equal their advertising budget.

• Reply 54 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Crime does pay, apparently.

Who cares about a billion dollar fine, when you've made many more billions than that in profit? And it probably won't even be a billion dollar fine. Some judge or other asshat will no doubt lower the fine.

Already lowered by an asshat judge to about half a billion.

• Reply 55 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Because Samsung makes every single part in their phones?  Riiiiiight.  Open a Samsung phone and you'll see many of the parts are from the same non-Samsung sources as you'll see in an iPhone.

Such as Sony camera sensors found in the relatively small percentage of high end handsets they sell compared to their cheap and mid range handsets. 

• Reply 56 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Because they think Microsoft saved Apple from extinction. 

After the Newton.

• Reply 57 of 67
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

From the Reuters article: 

"Samsung keeps investing in R&D. They've boosted their smartphone R&D workforce to 25,000 or so from less than 20,000, and I think they have an exciting product lineup ready, probably in the second half, to upend the market," said Lee Do-hoon, an analyst at RBS.

So Samsung has 25,000 employees just working on smartphone R&D?  Somehow I find that hard to believe.

Well someone is doing an awful lot of R&D for Samsung to have the second highest patent applications for a company in 2012 with 5,081 patents.  That implies a considerable workforce.

Samsung have two R&D centers in India that between them employ about 6,000 software engineers alone.  Samsung Electronics  have about 206,000 employees worldwide.

I would say the figure is very credible.

• Reply 58 of 67
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Phones

Tablets

PCs

TV sets

Washing machines

Freezers

Car and aircraft parts 

God knows what else.

Samsung should be making ten times the profit that Apple does. 

• Reply 59 of 67
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

You have to differentiate Samsung Electronics from the rest of the Samsung conglomerate.  These figures are just for Samsung Electronics.

• Reply 60 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Well someone is doing an awful lot of R&D for Samsung to have the second highest patent applications for a company in 2012 with 5,081 patents.  That implies a considerable workforce.

Samsung have two R&D centers in India that between them employ about 6,000 software engineers alone.  Samsung Electronics  have about 206,000 employees worldwide.

I would say the figure is very credible.
    Wow with all those people working in R&D you'd think we'd get more from them than just making phone with larger screen sizes and gimmicky software features. Unless most of these employees are working in their semiconductor unit.