Editorial: Apple's market disruption savvy is bad news for Android

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Many Apple fans insist that Apple will not open up iOS to FB because Apple is a closed system. I think they need to think twice. Closed system may be ok for PCs because PCs are powerful and has a much bigger screen than a smartphone. User can easily found what they need on a PC. The smartphone has a very small screen this creates a problem. To be able to further customize the Home will give user tremendous usefulness.

No No No! Buy Android, Apple can't be all things to all people.

• Reply 62 of 167
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

I just read the entire article and I have to say that it is nothing more than clickbait/fanboism/wishful thinking. 

Apple blew a huge lead in the phone industry and there's nothing to prevent the same thing happening to the tablet industry. iOS is so very very stagnant and locked down. In 2007/8 it was awesome. Now? Meh.

Reality check here too -- iOS has never held a market share lead in the global phone industry, especially this mythical "huge lead" that the lazy tech press keeps ascribing to Apple.  The meme of the moment is that Apple is doomed -- never mind the actual market share, unit sales, and revenue data -- the tech press can only perpetuate this story by making crap up.  The fact of the matter is that iOS has consistently held either the #2 or #3 market position for at least the past 3+ years, yet controls 2/3 of the smartphone industry profits.  Android's unit sales ascent has been at the expense of Symbian and Blackberry.  Stagnant?  Whatever.  I just want my devices to perform the functions that I use well.  I prefer quality over quantity.  Useful over novel.  I don't need a laundry list of new half-baked checkbox features that I will never use.  New or different is not the same thing as better.

• Reply 63 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    woochifer wrote: »

Reality check here too -- iOS has never held a market share head in the global phone industry, especially this mythical "huge lead" that the lazy tech press keeps ascribing to Apple.  The meme of the moment is that Apple is doomed -- never mind the actual market share, unit sales, and revenue data -- the tech press can only perpetuate this story by making .  The fact of the matter is that iOS has consistently held either the #2 or #3 market position for at least the past 3+ years, yet controls 2/3 of the smartphone industry profits.  Android's unit sales ascent has been at the expense of Symbian and Blackberry.  Stagnant?  Whatever.  I just want my devices to perform the functions that I use well.  I don't need a laundry list of new half-baked checkbox features that I will never use.

I wonder if he'll post any evidence to show that Apple had any monumental lead in unit marketshare with the iPhone or iOS worldwide. The only leads they've ever had are in profits, mindshare and user satisfaction, which they still have a huge lead in.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Applesauce007 Would a new Apple search engine need years of user input to learn & evolve into something comparable to Google's?

I guess that it would take a long time if they used similar search algorithms as google to scan and index the entire Internet. I am no search expert but Siri appears to use different knowledge base sources that have already been developed and can be improved separately. Apple hired William Stasior of amazon A9 fame and Altavista fame to manage Siri last year but they had been building Siri search well before that. Lets see what they come up with. The Altavista was the Google of its time period. Then Google took over. Perhaps Stasior can come back with Siri.
  • Reply 65 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I just read the entire article and I have to say that it is nothing more than clickbait/fanboism/wishful thinking. 

Apple blew a huge lead in the phone industry and there's nothing to prevent the same thing happening to the tablet industry. iOS is so very very stagnant and locked down. In 2007/8 it was awesome. Now? Meh.

Apple never had the lead in market share in the smart phone arena.
  • Reply 66 of 167
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you only bought hardware, that might be relevant. When you add in software, a Windows server is far more expensive. Look at the comparison in tihs article.

So the fact that I miscapitalized it somehow eliminates the ones that I've bought?

What it shows is that, once again, you are passing on what you read here and there as real knowledge. If you spend your noses amongst servers and computers accumulating first hand knowledge, you wouldn't make the mistakes that you regularly do, and attack issues from the periphery like you regularly do. That's ok by me, though. You are what you are.

• Reply 67 of 167
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apple never had the lead in market share in the smart phone arena.

Well, it's possible the person meant "technology lead," or "user experience lead" or even "1337ness lead" which is a more subjective thing to measure (and hence fodder for flame wars). But you are correct as far as market share lead: Apple started with zero percent of the market and that has been growing worldwide since 2007.
  • Reply 68 of 167
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

- the low end experience catching up to the high end. I can get a huge screen phone from Samsung for half the price of an iPhone, that does nearly everything nearly as good. The Galaxy grand is basically a cheaped down version of an SGS4 - it's a SGS2 with a 5" screen.

...and what is the resolution of that 5" screen?

Due to the slower processor/cpu combination in order to cut costs, you'll find they don't work that well and due to word of mouth, don't sell that well.

• Reply 69 of 167
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

All Apple has to do is offer a search solution that provides great results on page one, unlike Google who is packing page one with sponsored results more and more (Ad companies just can't help themselves). 

One of the reasons I think that Google gets such support is that they are a whore for so many companies who rely upon them for advertising.  Many of these companies are also tied to or have ownership of media outlets, investment firms, government lobbying, etc.  Therein lies apple's biggest challenge - it is the conglomerate business and advertising as usual good ole bois - whose job it is to manipulate public perception and markets for their own interests.

Apple is going to have to really turn it up a notch to make any headway against the collective status woe.

• Reply 70 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Tell us about this "huge lead", seeing as how since day one in 2007, first Nokia and then Samsung have dominated worldwide handset sales, by a significant factor, prior to Nokia at the turn of the century, it was Motorola who dominated.

Flawgic, pure flawgic, with a twist of the formulaic "staleness" argument espoused mindlessly by seemingly brainwashed Android acolytes.

• Reply 71 of 167
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This is not about closed v. open. Facebook Home more or less puts Android in the background. Instead of making a single Facebook phone, Home will turn existing Androids into one if Home is downloaded. You think Apple will allow that?

Why not?  Apple still make money selling phones and various services.  Use some imagination.  For example, Department of Defense can customize Home to suit the needs for combats. 

• Reply 72 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

...given I've invested my career into Apple's iPhoe market...

Pho?

Are you referring to the Vietnamese soup?

• Reply 73 of 167

Apple faithfuls should not be disillusioned by the huge market shares of Android based devices abroad.  The telecoms in foreign countries operate differently from AT&T, Verizon, etc.  The single most important thing is they don't charge monthly for a data plan.  You combine this with companies like Samsung, Huawei, ZTE selling low end of smartphones at about the same price as feature phones.  So for the large amount of users that don't need a smartphone it is a no brainer to choose an so-called Android based smartphone instead of a feature phone.  So what Samsung, Huawei, ZTE are doing is simply replacing feature phone users with a cheap smartphone.  They will not consume too much data.  Why should Apple pursue such group of users with a cheap iPhone?  The cheap Android phones are crippled.  So they will not retain these users once they decided to use data. 

This is more easily understood when you compare to the situation in US.  The iOS actually is gaining market share over Android recently. 

• Reply 74 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does screen size have to do with anything?

For example, my apps spanned several screens.  I have to scroll screens to look for an app. 

• Reply 75 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Apple Maps did NOT effect sales of GPS units like Garmin and Tom Tom, it was first Nokia's excellent Symbian maps (such as that on the superb Nokia N95)...

Ah yes, the misty eyed tint of rose coloured glasses.

N95 waiting, waiting, waiting to get a lock in on GP satellites as the minutes ticked away...

Not that "excellent" the atrocious N96 and N97 signalling the beginning of the end for Nokia

• Reply 76 of 167

Quote:

Apple faithfuls should not be disillusioned by the huge market shares of Android based devices abroad.  The telecoms in foreign countries operate differently from AT&T, Verizon, etc.  The single most important thing is they don't charge monthly for a data plan.  You combine this with companies like Samsung, Huawei, ZTE selling low end of smartphones at about the same price as feature phones.  So for the large amount of users that don't need a smartphone it is a no brainer to choose an so-called Android based smartphone instead of a feature phone.  So what Samsung, Huawei, ZTE are doing is simply replacing feature phone users with a cheap smartphone.  They will not consume too much data.  Why should Apple pursue such group of users with a cheap iPhone?  The cheap Android phones are crippled.  So they will not retain these users once they decided to use data. 

This is more easily understood when you compare to the situation in US.  The iOS actually is gaining market share over Android recently. 

I'm in Australia the telecoms basically operate the same as AT&T, Verizon, etc, we are NOT part of the USA.

• Reply 77 of 167

There's a lot of people to respond to, but the easiest way to to answer it this way:

I had an iphone 3gs and iphone 4. 

Why don't I have an apple product anymore?

1. wanted higher screen resolution (can see more without scrolling)

2. wanted larger screen (sorta same thing as 1)

3. wanted freedom to customize appearance

4. widgets (sorta same thing as 3)

Look, there's more than one size of imac, ipad, macbook pro, and air. Time for different phones as well. 

In order to win me back, I would like:

At least 4.5 inch screen. Larger battery--who seriously cares if it's slightly thicker. iOS 7 with widgets. Toggle to jailbreak. 

I think Apple knows they NEED the jailbreak community, just like how Microsoft and adobe need piracy--marketshare. 

Bottom line: People have different needs and one device cannot possibly solve it all.

• Reply 78 of 167
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Many Apple fans insist that Apple will not open up iOS to FB because Apple is a closed system. I think they need to think twice. Closed system may be ok for PCs because PCs are powerful and has a much bigger screen than a smartphone. User can easily found what they need on a PC. The smartphone has a very small screen this creates a problem. To be able to further customize the Home will give user tremendous usefulness.

Apple already integrated FB into iOS 6 last year. Swipe down to post a status, directly post your photos. What isn't clear is if people really want to replace their own wallpaper pic with a stream of other people's stuff. Most people consider their phone their own, and customize it accordingly, and don't want it to be a FB stream.

What other value could FB offer iPhone users? iOS social integration can keep getting better, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants FB to own their phone, except FB itself.  

• Reply 79 of 167
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Apple Maps did NOT effect sales of GPS units like Garmin and Tom Tom, it was first Nokia's excellent Symbian maps (such as that on the superb Nokia N95) and then Android, that came with drive by drive navigation out of the box. Apple Maps was still born, and still is. Sorry!

Well actually.... Nokia acquired Navteq toward the end of 2007. Prior to that, it had operated Smart2Go since 2001. Nokia didn't offer turn by turn maps until Jan 2010 in Ovi Maps 3.0.

So if you're trying to solely credit Nokia's maps with the collapse of the stock price of TomTom and Garmin, you need to review your dates. The Nokia N95 may certainly have helped contribute to the popping of the dedicated GPS bubble but if you review history you'll find that the iPhone was outselling the N95 even in Europe in 2007, the year both appeared on the market. 

BTW, where is Symbian now? Or for that matter, Nokia? 

• Reply 80 of 167
    I never saw Apple entering the low just out of the notion of gaining market share. Market share does say something, but not much. Profit and sustained growth are all that ever really mattered. Apple could care less about market share as long as their profits remain healthy and sustainable. It is only Google that is dependent upon market share because that is what drives their profits. More people using Android = more people using Google and getting more ad hits. Their entire model completely runs on market share.

I had always hoped that Apple would never go the low end route, and I still dont think they have or will. They only time Apple enters the "low end" is when there is a form factor reason for going small, not a market share reason.

I highly doubt still that they would develop a low end iPhone when they can simply just pump out the perfectly good older iPhones, which are still more than capable of running the latest iOS.

So this led me to this train of thought... We have all heard major rumors of a cheap iPhone. We have all heard major rumors of the iWatch. Could they be the same product?