On its third birthday, Apple's iPad looks back at years of comical criticism

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

Paul Thurrot Quote:

Apple could ... close the productivity gap between its iPad and the Surface  ... by adding one crucial missing feature to iOS: Simply allow users to switch using Alt + Tab.

He really makes a meal out of this giving it its own section. Personally, I just swipe with four fingers.image

My only iPad is the original I bought back in May 2010 and it's used a lot every day for web browsing, email, BBC iPlayer, games, OmniFocus, writing notes, storing documents (for example I just took my new bike insurance as a PDF on it to show the people at the Post Office so that I could get my Tax Disc!), listening to the radio, read my RSS feeds (like this one), read novels, consult iOS developer documentation, use it as a map with the brilliant "UK Map" app especially handy as I have the 3G iPad, track my Family History with Reunion, enjoy night sky exploration with astronomy apps and more.

It's not as fast as my 5th generation iPod touch and Safari can crash on complex web pages but I probably still use it more that my iPod, at least more "seriously" anyway. I might decide to replace it with the next iPad though as the retina display on the iPod makes the iPad display look very crude, I'm stuck on iOS 5 and the speedup would be welcome. Still very happy with it though.

• Reply 42 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »
    richl wrote: »
    If you're a reviewer, you review what's in front of you, not what the next generation might bring. The iPad 1 is crippled by it's lack of RAM. Safari and third-party apps regularly run out of memory and crash.

Don't lie. Don't lie in this thread and make yourself to be one of the fools who didn't get it when it came out. And one of the greater fools who still don't get it.

As a user of the first iPad since day one and still a daily user, I can say that it did not crash at all back in those days, before the current bloat that afflicts sites like 9to5 and The Verge. Yes, now the iPad 1 will crash, but it didn't back then.

Back then it was revolutionary to anyone who could see and who had a shred of imagination, and who did not automatically wish to see anything from Apple fail. Don't take my word for it, here's Gruber's review at the time:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/the_ipad

It was perfectly adequate for its time. Jobs was as right as he ever was at that time. Don't try to rewrite history in front of me, I was there. The naysayers were fools then and they're probably still fools now.

What an incredible valid and correct post. Great response.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    dwillydwilly Posts: 60member

That's why I try not to listen to these bozos

• Reply 44 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Don't lie. Don't lie in this thread and make yourself to be one of the fools who didn't get it when it came out. And one of the greater fools who still don't get it.

As a user of the first iPad since day one and still a daily user, I can say that it did not crash at all back in those days, before the current bloat that afflicts sites like 9to5 and The Verge. Yes, now the iPad 1 will crash, but it didn't back then.

Back then it was revolutionary to anyone who could see and who had a shred of imagination, and who did not automatically wish to see anything from Apple fail. Don't take my word for it, here's Gruber's review at the time:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/the_ipad

It was perfectly adequate for its time. Jobs was as right as he ever was at that time. Don't try to rewrite history in front of me, I was there. The naysayers were fools then and they're probably still fools now.

"Probably"?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The iPad 1 is crippled by it's lack of RAM. Safari and third-party apps regularly run out of memory and crash.

Perhaps you could then explain how Apple sold 15M of these in the three quarters after its release.

• Reply 46 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps you could then explain how Apple sold 15M of these in the three quarters after its release.

it just means there are at least 15M peeps that aren't dumasses...

• Reply 47 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Remember that all great ideas were at first ridiculed.
  • Reply 48 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Actually, if you look at the list of shortcomings the "experts" were complaining about regarding the first iPad running iOS 3.2, only cut-and-paste has been checked off. The iPad still doesn't run Flash nor is it multitasking. (not that it needs to, but those last two were the features iPad competitors crowed about, not that it saved their butts)

Yeah, but you'd have to admit that what we call 'multitasking' in the later versions of iOS has been a great thing. I'm torn on the Flash complaints. On one hand, you had the majority of videos on the web in 2010 using Flash. On the other hand, that was a problem that quickly was solved with HTML5 video, which, IMO, is much better.

• Reply 49 of 61
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think so too.

If I were to take something that I really dislike, let's say Android. It would never even enter my mind to sign up for an Android forum and spend my days there trashing Android. What a huge waste of time that would be. I'm on this forum because I like Apple products a lot obviously, and have been using them for a long time. 

I would have to be insane and totally messed up in my head if I were to spend my days on an Android forum, and yes, I do believe that the Apple haters, the ones who go out of their way, as if they were a bunch of paid political activists, have real serious issues, as in mental issues. They are lunatics.

I never thought about it like this, but it makes so much sense.

• Reply 50 of 61
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    If you're a reviewer, you review what's in front of you, not what the next generation might bring. The iPad 1 is crippled by it's lack of RAM. Safari and third-party apps regularly run out of memory and crash.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Reply 51 of 61
    I remember this vividly. I went out and bought one the day they came out and I remember thinking how cool it was but I really didn't know what I was going to do with it. I wondered if Apple was taking a mis-step with the thing. Then I got one in my hands and I couldn't put it down. I knew it was a game changer and that all these nay-saying media pundits were MS talking heads trying to save their skin...
  • Reply 52 of 61
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Actually, if you look at the list of shortcomings the "experts" were complaining about regarding the first iPad running iOS 3.2, only cut-and-paste has been checked off. The iPad still doesn't run Flash nor is it multitasking. (not that it needs to, but those last two were the features iPad competitors crowed about, not that it saved their butts)

Well the IPad did get multitasking, just only 1/2 of requested however I guess.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    On comparison a windows PC is 50 times more likely to crash, and it takes 5 times longer to restore.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    On comparison a windows PC is 50 times more likely to crash, and it takes 5 times longer to restore.

And what do you base that on? I haven't had a PC crash on me in years.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(I am not arrogating myself in any way to claim 'leading member' status.....) I was one of those who felt a bit queasy about the name. image At that time, I thought that iSlate was a far better name because of its association with education, writing, etc. 

Five iPads and one Mini later, I think I am finally OK with it. image

Well, it's better than calling it an iSlab.  IPad rolls off the tongue better than other names.

• Reply 56 of 61
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

In their defense the first iPad did have a weird, rounded back and seriously underpowered everything. It didn't really get interesting until iPad 2 when they added cameras for video conferencing and then the retina display of iPad 3 actually gave it more utility than many laptops.

Though the tech media forgets simplicity can often trump complexity. File systems are a chore! glad there is an operating system that does away with them.

• Reply 57 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

In their defense the first iPad did have a weird, rounded back and seriously underpowered everything

But it didn't. At all. And the three newer models have a "rounder" back than the original. 

• Reply 58 of 61
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Expanding on the whole mental illness point made earlier about Apple haters, I also think it's a mental illness to not see anything outside of your own little world (believe that everyone lives the same life as you).

While I myself did find the iPad 1 to be somewhat limiting (given that I tend to use the most powerful desktop computers available for my line of work), my son and wife still use it on a daily basis for watching YouTube videos, playing educational games, quickly browsing the web to lookup simple information like menus for takeout restaurants, phone numbers, etc.  It works perfectly fine for those tasks and certainly isn't crashing on a regular basis (as is claimed).

This is the real reason the iPad 1 was a success despite the tech media criticism: not everyone's life revolves around technology and only doing things with which require the most powerful CPUs, large amounts or RAM, etc.  The iPad 1 was vastly easier to use (and cheaper) than a laptop for such people (who are a much larger market than the tech crowd).

• Reply 59 of 61
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Unfortunately, we live in an instant news world, and that means instant opinions based on mostly nothing other than those who opine, feeling compelled to say something. It's also lazy reporting in some cases, with many making statements without so much as doing an ounce of actual journalism and research.

Thurott is good example ... rather than saying 'let's see what happens', he simply reacted and without even touching the device.

Some will blame Apple for the hype ... except Apple stays completely mum until they announce. So all the hype is created by bloggers and rumor mongers who, again, feel compelled to say something, even it's completely wrong.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    auxio wrote: »

The poster to whose comment your responded is interesting. I see reviews quite often that lament features in Android and Microsoft but the following comment is always apologetic for the companies.