Editorial: Apple's market disruption savvy is bad news for Android

Comments

• Reply 141 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Will it verbally tell me what is a nuclear power plant? 

Wow. Google Now does verbally tell me what a nuclear power plant is. Color me surprised.:wow:
  • Reply 142 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I agree they're often compared. Thanks for the mention of TellMe as well. I wasn't even aware MS had their own voice search version.

1) Calling it a voice search engine is really just an aspect of the more formal service of the intelligent personal assistant or digital personal assistant. A voice search would simply be a speech-to-text engine that then relays the converted text to the search engine, but these services are more intelligent; the service will interpret the text and then push it to sub-servics like Yelp (local businesses info), Rotten Tomatoes (movie info), Wolfram Alpha (math and science info), Yahoo! (sports(?) and news), etc. It's only when there is no match to the other sub-services does it then shoot it out to a general search engine search based on the speech-to-text results. That is what Apple bought with Siri, then expanded upon greatly along with integrating it into the OS, and that's what Google et al. are playing catch-up too.

2) You don't remember this gem?
  • Reply 143 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »

2) You don't remember this gem?

The first MS result is hilarious:lol:

Nope, I'd never seen it before now. Thank you sir!
  • Reply 144 of 167
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I agree they're often compared. I was simply curious whether the OP meant "first" in the sense of a timeline or first in some other ways. Thanks for the mention of TellMe as well. I wasn't even aware MS had their own voice search version.

Like I said before Wikipedia is providing FACTs more and more.

"In late 2011, reports surfaced that Google was developing a virtual assistant for the next version of Android, similar to Apple's Siri."

"On June 27, 2012, Google Now was unveiled as part of the premier demonstration of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at the Google I/O.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Now

• Reply 145 of 167
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Apple has one thing left to do to truly become independent with the best platform in the world.
    ...and that is to provide it's own default search engine and perhaps make Google a search an option like Bing and Yahoo.
    Once that is done, it will have full control of it's platform and a much better integrated search engine.

Apple's Market Disruption Savvy comes from its research teams, but also from it's independence in platform integration and design.
    Apple can make its moves without asking permission, and when a technology needed for an Apple product does not exist, it gets invented and patented.

Agreed, and I have been thinking exactly the same thing. With all their data center capacity and base of Safari users they could make a big entry into the search market overnight. They could take it a step farther and really 'disrupt' Google though - Google has been doing their own disruption by giving away software and services that others have traditionally sold in exchange for collecting user data that they then use to sell advertising, so that their only major source of revenue is their search based advertising. Everything else is essentially a loss leader for them. Apple on the other hand makes their money through traditional direct sales to end users of hardware, software, and services. They could provide a search rival to Google almost as an after thought. With iAd, they already have an Internet advertising structure in place. What would get really interesting is if Apple decide to give the advertising away for free and undercut to the point of zero Google's pricing on their primary revenue source just like Google has done to everyone else in the markers they've entered. It would be interesting to see if Google could even survive.
  • Reply 146 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    igriv wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are saying, but if I scrape up my pennies and by a Porsche Carrera 4, it is psychologically very difficult for me to decide that I would have been happier with a Camry.

Yes but if something breaks in the Porsche you'll be more unsatisfied since you spent all that money. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 147 of 167
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes but if something breaks in the Porsche you'll be more unsatisfied since you spent all that money. You get what you pay for.

No, most people would rationalize it away, claiming that the Porsche user experience is superior (this is not hypothetical -- Camrys are, in fact, much more reliable, but people do buy Porsches. For a lot more money).

• Reply 148 of 167
    No, most people would rationalize it away, claiming that the Porsche user experience is superior (this is not hypothetical -- Camrys are, in fact, much more reliable, but people do buy Porsches. For a lot more money).

I don't think most people will rationalize it away if they spent good money on something and that something fails or breaks.
  • Reply 149 of 167
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    x38 wrote: »
    Agreed, and I have been thinking exactly the same thing. With all their data center capacity and base of Safari users they could make a big entry into the search market overnight. They could take it a step farther and really 'disrupt' Google though - Google has been doing their own disruption by giving away software and services that others have traditionally sold in exchange for collecting user data that they then use to sell advertising, so that their only major source of revenue is their search based advertising. Everything else is essentially a loss leader for them. Apple on the other hand makes their money through traditional direct sales to end users of hardware, software, and services. They could provide a search rival to Google almost as an after thought. With iAd, they already have an Internet advertising structure in place. What would get really interesting is if Apple decide to give the advertising away for free and undercut to the point of zero Google's pricing on their primary revenue source just like Google has done to everyone else in the markers they've entered. It would be interesting to see if Google could even survive.

I have been wondering what the sudden explosion of interest in data centers is regarding at Apple. This isn't just the data center in Maiden, North Carolina. As we know, Apple is constructing data centers in Hong Kong; Prineville, Oregon; and Reno, Nevada.

Hong Kong ("unprecedented scale") groundbreaking rumored in 1Q2013
    Newark, CA (108,000 square feet) acquired in 2006
    Maiden, NC (500,000 square feet with 184,000 square feet of actual data center floor space)
    Prineville, OR (projected for 338,000 square feet)
    Reno, NV
    Santa Clara, CA (estimated to be to about 11,000 square feet of data center floor space) seven year lease signed in April 2011

Additionally, a mysterious company has been courting officials in Altoona, Iowa. Notably, one of the proposed zoning amendments would allow the operator of the data center to use on-site generation from solar panels, fuel cells and wind energy; a configuration thus far only used by Apple and eBay. Interestingly, this would easily be the second largest data center in the world.

Altoona, IA ??? (350,000 square-foot building and two buildings at 380,000 square feet total of 1.4 million square feet)
  • Reply 150 of 167
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Suppose you have an iTunes library of music. Good luck playing it on an android device. Of course, you can export the mp3s, but that's a pain. If you have a better way, do tell.

Uhm... why would I not just copy the AAC iTunes files onto an android device and play them? You do know that iTunes music has been DRM-free for years, right?

Or I could just download an android-compatible media server app that reads the music and serves them directly from my iTunes library?

• Reply 151 of 167

Did Steve Jobs babble about being "disruptive"?  No, he just led Apple to make great, market-defining products.

If we call every successful product innnovation "disruptive" then we're not talking about innovation, we're talking about symantics.

• Reply 152 of 167
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Uhm... why would I not just copy the AAC iTunes files onto an android device and play them? You do know that iTunes music has been DRM-free for years, right?

Or I could just download an android-compatible media server app that reads the music and serves them directly from my iTunes library?

That is precisely what I suggested -- copying over the MP3s. It is a bit cumbersome (most of mine are in Apple Lossless, which is really FLAC with goofy headers, bleah). For most people I am guessing this is difficult. If you have an Amazon music service, you can play on a device of your choice with no hacking.

• Reply 153 of 167
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

There are tons of articles out there on how to do this easily.

How to play iTunes music and videos on your Android phone list options from copying, to using Google Music, to tools such as DoubleTwist to sync between your phone and iTunes.

Caveat:  I don't have a big iTunes collection, so never had to use any tools.

• Reply 154 of 167
    That is precisely what I suggested -- copying over the MP3s. It is a bit cumbersome (most of mine are in Apple Lossless, which is really FLAC with goofy headers, bleah). For most people I am guessing this is difficult. If you have an Amazon music service, you can play on a device of your choice with no hacking.

I thought Android users love hacking?
  • Reply 155 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Some do, same as many iOS users who like to jailbreak and customize.

Personally, most of the Android users I know are women in their thirties with kids, who have no time or interest in hacking.

They just like the widgets and notifications and big screens.

• Reply 156 of 167
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jungmark wrote: »

Android users only like hacking when supporting their argument.
  • Reply 157 of 167
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple has one thing left to do to truly become independent with the best platform in the world.

...and that is to provide it's own default search engine and perhaps make Google a search an option like Bing and Yahoo.

Once that is done, it will have full control of it's platform and a much better integrated search engine.

Apple's Market Disruption Savvy comes from its research teams, but also from it's independence in platform integration and design.

Apple can make its moves without asking permission, and when a technology needed for an Apple product does not exist, it gets invented and patented.

AppleSauce, I have been thinking the same and have suggested the idea elsewhere and am always shot down that it would be small minded of Apple and Apple doesn't work that way. But I wan't trying to push a mean point, I am only trying to look at reality.

Google sets its sights on others and starts firing. I do not see why Apple should not respond. More search is done by Apple i products than by Android products. Sounds like Google is shooting at the wrong horse. I see no problem with Apple either having its own search engine, one run like its stores, on margins that make it complementary for advertisers to use its services over the pricier service of Google; or having a search site that protects i identities like Start Page that becomes the madam between the customer and the princess. The first of these strategies would either force Google to compete on price or to give in and strike a deal with Apple. The second would make migraine sound like a day at the beach for Maid Larry and cohorts.

Regardless, Apple could eventually make a small income from search as it now does from its music and app stores. This is not tit-for-tat but rather a game that has been  legitimised by Google and Amazon. It sure would be interesting to see what happens when goose and gander come into play.

Daniel sure makes some fine points in whatever he posts.

• Reply 158 of 167
    A search engine isn't the answer. Apple does not want to promote competitors. It should work with bing or yahoo or duckduckgo then drop google search.
  • Reply 159 of 167

Speaking of GPS and phones, a California appellate court has ruled that using just the phone's GPS or map while driving, is a moving violation.

• Reply 160 of 167
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Speaking of GPS and phones, a California appellate court has ruled that using just the phone's GPS or map while driving, is a moving violation.

Calif. Court Upholds Ticket for Phone GPS Use While Driving

In Australia, specifically New South Wales, I can use my phone's GPS provided it is mounted in a dock, apart from that a driver is not allowed to touch a phone unless handing it to a passenger.