Rumor has Google close to buying WhatsApp for $1B

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They're far from broke, with $48 Billion in cash as of the last quarter.

That's only four more Motorolas, and they didn't learn from the last one. 

*snort*

• Reply 22 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    That's only four more Motorolas, and they didn't learn from the last one. 

*snort*

How do you know they didn't learn from the last one? They haven't bought another :D
  • Reply 23 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

How do you know they didn't learn from the last one? They haven't bought another image

Touché. image

• Reply 24 of 53
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    richl wrote: »
    And yet, it's the best cross-platform messaging app. It'll be a shame if Google buys it up.
    Hmm... looks like I might stop using WhatsApp very soon. It is not an app that I think Apple should buy (how they let The Goog steal Sparrow out from under them I will never know), but I shall miss the cross platform ability. That is the only problem with iMessage, however Apple will probably never open that out to other platforms. It is a great system, but they want it as part of the iOS moat.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

These sorts of "ideas" are why Google is paying Neal Mohan $100 Million.

• Reply 26 of 53
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've never seen its equal in ugliness.

Seriously?  What's a good looking app then?

• Reply 27 of 53
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a messaging service. That means people use it to communicate. The word babble, although oft used pejoratively, does means to talk rapidly and continuously. Then you have the word Babel which comes from the biblical story of the infamous tower in Babylon. I think it's highly likely it's a combination of both uses and not someone at Google spelling it wrong. Hearing it wrong in church makes no sense since both are homonyms |?bab?l| in modern English.

I don't mean that Google got it wrong.  After all, it's their project to name.

What I meant was that I'm pretty sure that Google is internally calling it "Babel", and that some reporter heard about it, but misunderstood and wrote "Babble" instead.

Like we both said, the coincidence is that either works, although the biblical term makes more sense from the multi-communications standpoint.

• Reply 28 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was thinking "What's App, G?"

Some are longing for the the day: "What's G?

--

Really hope this isn't true, because I don't think they won't change the app; they're likely to disable sending photo's and video, instead making you use one of their current offerings (Picassa, YouTube, Cloud Drive or whatever these apps are called). I just wish all these tech companies could work in congruence, but it looks like that's Ungoogleable
  • Reply 29 of 53
    spacepowerspacepower Posts: 208member
    ireland wrote: »
    To be fair, Google can change the UI, and the feature set. They can change everything about the app. They bought it for the user base.

This is the interesting part. I don't have anything Google on my iPhone.

Since I let WhatsApp use my address book, does that mean that Google will get all the names, phone #s, and email addresses of everyone in my address book?

I'm not even a Google services user and they might data mine me? They'll have more info about people I know than my own mobile carrier, since many of my contacts, I haven't called from my iphone.

It seems the "focus" of the new Google is even more data mining, not great products?

Hmmmm
  • Reply 30 of 53

Um, anybody remember Meebo? Google didn't do much with that multi platform messaging app. 

• Reply 31 of 53
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobsonmartin View Post

I'm not sure if I quite understand this acquisition. Google's own developers could easily built its own cross platform messaging system in less than a month and therefore save Google $1B. This would be a GIANT waste of money.

I'm also not sure if I understand the draw of Whatsapp. SMS does practically the same thing and where that fails, Facebook messenger orMSN messenger fills in the gaps. Is Whatsapp just like a cross platform version of iMessages? I really don't get it.

Agreed.  I expect a lot of number of people in the Google development organization are reading about this and rolling their eyes (or more likely saying "this is @#$%").  A billion dollars to unify a few different communication standards into one app?  That borders on insanity.

• Reply 32 of 53
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've never seen its equal in ugliness.

Sounds like two companies that were made to mate.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I never installed WhattsApp on my iPhone because possible data vulnerability. Apples iMessage has become so secure that CIA wants to get more rights to get access to it. Why the hell shall I use WA? I don't see any benefit than save some pennies for cross platform messages and that's not worth for the price of data leakage.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How long until Samsung comes out with their own cross-platform messaging service called [I]What's Appening?[/I] Maybe they can get Fred Berry as a sponsor.
  • Reply 35 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Hmm... looks like I might stop using WhatsApp very soon. It is not an app that I think Apple should buy (how they let The Goog steal Sparrow out from under them I will never know), but I shall miss the cross platform ability. That is the only problem with iMessage, however Apple will probably never open that out to other platforms. It is a great system, but they want it as part of the iOS moat.

I think you are confusing google for apple. Google always makes cross platform apps. Look at search, Youtube, Maps, Google+, etc.(Even snapseed) Apple has not a single android app on the other hand. If this is finalized you will get a simple to use messaging service most likely tied into their other apps.  

• Reply 36 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If this is finalized you will get a simple to use messaging service most likely tied into their other apps.

That might be something people are afraid of.

--

^ lol@sol
  • Reply 37 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by camjknight View Post

Um, anybody remember Meebo? Google didn't do much with that multi platform messaging app. 

Yeah, good question. They bought Meebo long time ago and what's the use of it?

• Reply 38 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Has that same butt ugly appeals as IRC
  • Reply 39 of 53
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

This is the interesting part. I don't have anything Google on my iPhone.

Since I let WhatsApp use my address book, does that mean that Google will get all the names, phone #s, and email addresses of everyone in my address book?

I'm not even a Google services user and they might data mine me? ...

Well you already got data mined. Never heard of the privacy mess that WA is?

I wouldn't touch WA with a 10 foot pole.

But that's me. I know many that have no issue with giving up their privacy.

• Reply 40 of 53
    mudman2mudman2 Posts: 54member
    I agree its all about getting more information on people and selling it to advertisers

I used Whatsapp on occasion but like anything else if Gooble take it I will delete the app