Rumor has Google close to buying WhatsApp for $1B

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

I agree its all about getting more information on people and selling it to advertisers

The big guns like Apple and Google do NOT sell personal information to advertisers.  They simply use to serve up anonymous targeted ads.

The true info danger comes from little apps that make money on the side by sending our Contacts info to their servers and possibly onto spammers.

• Reply 42 of 53
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    kdarling wrote: »
    I don't mean that Google got it wrong.  After all, it's their project to name.

What I meant was that I'm pretty sure that Google is internally calling it "Babel", and that<span style="line-height:1.231;"> some reporter heard about it, but misunderstood and wrote "Babble" instead.</span>

Like we both said, the coincidence is that either works, although the biblical term makes more sense from the multi-communications standpoint.

It looks like that is the case as it is actually called Babel in gmail:

nexusae0_Screen-Shot-2013-04-07-at-10.53.38-AM.png

Then again, Google is a play on googol (and trademark reasons), so babble may not be out of the blue
  • Reply 43 of 53
    WhatsApp is a useful app but I will delete it if Google takes over. There is no way I am putting more Google spyware on my phone. That is why I won't buy a spyPhone (Android). The question is, if there is a way to delete all my data that they have on their servers?

I have not found it to use the battery excessively
  • Reply 44 of 53
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Seriously?  What's a good looking app then?

Seriously you don't know? On this forum a good looking app, in fact a beautiful and magical app would be... the same WhatsApp if... Apple would have bought it, of course! :D

• Reply 45 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    georgep wrote: »
    WhatsApp is a useful app but I will delete it if Google takes over. There is no way I am putting more Google spyware on my phone. That is why I won't buy a spyPhone (Android). The question is, if there is a way to delete all my data that they have on their servers?

I have not found it to use the battery excessively

What's App may use the same method as Apple offers for deleting the personal data they've gathered on you.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Seriously you don't know? On this forum a good looking app, in fact a beautiful and magical app would be... the same WhatsApp if... Apple would have bought it, of course! :D

Right?¡ Because no one here has ever spoken up against the excessive and gaudy use of skeumorphism with faux leather and stitching in any Apple app¡ :no:
  • Reply 47 of 53
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am surprised they went with WhatsApp instead of an app called Line. It is hugely popular now and allows text as well as voice. Very clean interface and easy to use.

Line is by Naver, South Korea's equivalent of Google. It is HUGE and while I don't doubt Google can afford it, it will cost alot. Kinda like Apple buying Samsung.

On another note, different countries have their own popular chat app. Line is very popular in Japan even though it is done by a Korean company. In Korea, Kakao Talk is very popular. In China, WeChat is the popular one.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I was thinking "What's App, G?"

I was thinking, "WTF is 'What's App?'"

Another example of how Google will spend $billion(s) to acquire some largely unproven asset (even if it has potential.)

It is a totally different approach from Apple, who might spend a few $10s of millions to get the same thing from a small company with better assets, but less buzz.

Google looks to buy buzz and customers, while Apple looks to buy expertise and IP to attract customers and make them happy.

• Reply 49 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I was thinking, "WTF is 'What's App?'"

Another example of how Google will spend $billion(s) to acquire some largely unproven asset (even if it has potential.)
    It is a totally different approach from Apple, who might spend a few $10s of millions to get the same thing from a small company with better assets, but less buzz.
    Google looks to buy buzz and customers, while Apple looks to buy expertise and IP to attract customers and make them happy.

Overall I think Apple is smarter with its acquisitions but I think both companies go to the extremes of each. Google seems to like to overpay for companies like someone who just came into money and wants to show it off. Apple seems too frugal.

For example, I wish Apple would have invested several billion more in mapping back in 2007(?) when they started buying up companies. I would have loved for secret Apple cars going around using the same laser tech their flyover uses mapping out every road. I think they could have even used some clever math to remove the moving cars and people from their images digitally so that the results were mostly pristine. Add that the other uses of a street level comparison would make their mapping staff that deal with location errors more quickly and accurately resolve issues if they have something internal to compare the user submitted requests for change.
  • Reply 50 of 53

Great investment should it happen.

• Reply 51 of 53
  • Reply 52 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Well this rumor was just that... A rumor. As it turns out Facebook was willing to pay the $1B[B], plus[/B] another $3B on top of that, [B]plus[/B] another 12B in stock. . :rolleyes:
  • Reply 53 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Well this rumor was just that... A rumor. As it turns out Facebook was willing to pay the $1B, plus another $3B on top of that, plus another 12B in stock. . :rolleyes:

$15B