Avid announces Pro Tools 11 and Media Composer 7 for Mac & PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Avid on Monday announced the launch of Pro Tools 11, as well as a range of new solutions for audio-editing professionals, including a two new audio portable audio interfaces that provide high-quality I/O for iOS devices.

Avid's new Pro Tools 11 brings new high-powered audio and video engines, 64-bit architecture, expanded metering, and direct HD video workflows. The new software allows for bigger, more complex sessions and ultra-low latency record monitoring without plug-in performance taking a hit. Pro Tools 11 will be available as a complimentary upgrade for users that buy, upgrade, or crossgrade to Pro Tools 10 on or after April 7.

In addition to the new version of Pro Tools, Avid introduced Avid Fast Track Solo and Duo. These two devices are portable studio-grade USB audio interfaces allowing users to turn Macs, PCs, and iPads into complete songwriting and music recording systems. The Fast Track Duo has dual mic preamps/instrument inputs, line-level inputs, and pro Tools express software. The Fast Track Solo features a single mic preamp, an instrument input, and Pro Tools Express software.

The Fast Track Solo will retail for $179, while the Fast Track Duo will sell for $299. Pro Tools 11 will sell for $700.

Avid announced a number of other new offerings, including Avid Media Composer 7 and Motion Graphics 2.5. The company also announced the availability of new Interplay Production solutions, including Interplay Production 3.0, Interplay Pulse, and Avid AirSpeed 5000 2.5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I used to use Protools a long time ago, when it was still for Pros, but I don't use it anymore, as too many amateurs use it now. They should call it amateur tools instead.

I haven't heard those new interfaces, but I'll bet my left testicle that they don't sound that great. Look at the ridiculous cheap price for them. Who are they selling to? Pros, or amateurs with no money? I'm also not fond of M-audio, which is also owned by Avid now. I threw a perfectly good, functioning and working M-Audio keyboard in the trash a few weeks ago, because it just pissed me off. It wasn't even worth the cheap price that I paid for it.

• Reply 2 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I used to use Protools a long time ago, when it was still for Pros, but I don't use it anymore, as too many amateurs use it now. They should call it amateur tools instead.

I haven't heard those new interfaces, but I'll bet my left testicle that they don't sound that great. Look at the ridiculous cheap price for them. Who are they selling to? Pros, or amateurs with no money? I'm also not fond of M-audio, which is also owned by Avid now. I threw a perfectly good, functioning and working M-Audio keyboard in the trash a few weeks ago, because it just pissed me off. It wasn't even worth the cheap price that I paid for it.

There is a difference between Avid BRANDED and another brand also owned by Avid. Avid is one of the most well respected name brands in Hollywood. I would be surprised if they released sub-par products. As far as the M-Audio keyboard, I not sure which one you used but a quick search on B&H, which for the most part, serves the professional market, I found the reviews of their 61es keyboard:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=903700&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Most of the reviewers are identified as professional or experienced users and the average rating is 4.5 out of 5

• Reply 3 of 37

Quote:

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

• Reply 4 of 37
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    """I used to use Protools a long time ago, when it was still for Pros, but I don't use it anymore, as too many amateurs use it now. They should call it amateur tools instead."""

Nothing says "amateur" like the above sentence. It has "amateur" (and immature) written in bold all over it.

For one, most professional studios, especially in the USA, use Pro Tools. Not that it matters much, Logic or Cubase are also professional despite being used slightly less in studios.

Second, a professional does not switch tools depending on ...who else is using them. And he doesn't justify his pro status by using some software, he justifies it by the work he does.

You sound extremely amateur (and snob about it) and around 18. The second might only be true emotionally -- you never know with some people on the internet. The are 40 and behave like teenagers.

"""I haven't heard those new interfaces, but I'll bet my left testicle that they don't sound that great. Look at the ridiculous cheap price for them. Who are they selling to? Pros, or amateurs with no money"""

There are also Pro's with no money. But you don't have to but your balls (and risk losing them), there will be tests from several news outlets, with proper measuring equipment and all, instead of guesses from idiots, about how good or bad the interfaces are.
  • Reply 5 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is a difference between Avid BRANDED and another brand also owned by Avid. Avid is one of the most well respected name brands in Hollywood. I would be surprised if they released sub-par products. As far as the M-Audio keyboard, I not sure which one you used but a quick search on B&H, which for the most part, serves the professional market, I found the reviews of their 61es keyboard:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=903700&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Most of the reviewers are identified as professional or experienced users and the average rating is 4.5 out of 5

Yes, I know that Avid is well known for their video stuff. I don't have any experience with their video stuff. My speciality is audio.

Protools used to be owned by Digidesign until Avid took it over. 

As for the keyboard you link to, it is complete crap. I had that same exact keyboard, and as a matter of fact, that is the one that I threw away. It just doesn't have a good feel to it. It feels like cheap plastic and it is a hinder for creativity and any good player will get pissed off by just playing on it. Keyboard feel is a subjective thing, but for me, it just feels like crap. It's not even worth $169 IMO.

Those reviews mean nothing. People lie all of the time, and everybody will identify themselves as being pro or experienced, even though they are clueless. If somebody is an amateur, doesn't really know how to play and is flat broke, then I guess that that keyboard might be a good option for them.

• Reply 6 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

No, I'm actually in an ok mood today.image

Sometimes, I just tell it like I see it.

• Reply 7 of 37

Quote:

As for the keyboard you link to, it is complete crap. 

`It was a battered and scarred violin. 

The auctioneer brought it out,

It was scarcely worth his while

He held it up and with a smile

He cried: “Good folks, who will 

start the bidding for me?" 

"A dollar, a dollar" Then, 

“Two!" Only two? Who will make it three?

"Three dollars, once: three dollars, 

twice; going for three"   

But no! from the room, far back, 

a gray-haired man came forward 

and picked up the bow; 

Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,

And tightening the loose strings, 

He played a melody so pure and sweet, 

as caroling angels would sing.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer, 

With a voice that was quiet and low, said: 

"What am I to bid for the old violin?" 

And he held it up with the bow.

"A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two? 

Two thousand! And who'll make it three?

Three thousand once, Three thousand, twice 

And going, and gone," “Three thousand gone!” .

The people cheered, but someone exclaimed:

"I do not quite understand. 

What changed its worth so quickly?”

Swift came the reply: 

`The touch of a master's hand".

• Reply 8 of 37
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

Yes, I know that Avid is well known for their video stuff. I don't have any experience with their video stuff. My specialty is audio.

Protools used to be owned by Digidesign until Avid took it over. 

As for the keyboard you link to, it is complete crap. I had that same exact keyboard, and as a matter of fact, that is the one that I threw away. It just doesn't have a good feel to it. It feels like cheap plastic and it is a hinder for creativity and any good player will get pissed off by just playing on it. Keyboard feel is a subjective thing, but for me, it just feels like crap. It's not even worth $169 IMO.

Those reviews mean nothing. People lie all of the time, and everybody will identify themselves as being pro or experienced, even though they are clueless. If somebody is an amateur, doesn't really know how to play and is flat broke, then I guess that that keyboard might be a good option for them.

The M-Audio keyboard mentioned here is more or less fine for course triggering of samples, drums and so on - at least in my experience.  If you're a 'real' piano player and you're looking for weighted keys to simulate the feel of a real piano experience. well of course the M-Audio keyboard will leave you wishing for more.  There's very little feedback from the M-Audio device, but again a weighted keyboard is going to set you back more $$$ wise.  That said, weighted keyboards leave me wanting LESS when I'm just trying to course trigger samples.  In the end, I ended up with both types and use them as there were intended - as tools. 

• Reply 9 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by foljs View Post

"""I used to use Protools a long time ago, when it was still for Pros, but I don't use it anymore, as too many amateurs use it now. They should call it amateur tools instead."""

Nothing says "amateur" like the above sentence. It has "amateur" (and immature) written in bold all over it.

For one, most professional studios, especially in the USA, use Pro Tools. Not that it matters much, Logic or Cubase are also professional despite being used slightly less in studios.

Second, a professional does not switch tools depending on ...who else is using them. And he doesn't justify his pro status by using some software, he justifies it by the work he does.

You sound extremely amateur (and snob about it) and around 18. The second might only be true emotionally -- you never know with some people on the internet. The are 40 and behave like teenagers.

"""I haven't heard those new interfaces, but I'll bet my left testicle that they don't sound that great. Look at the ridiculous cheap price for them. Who are they selling to? Pros, or amateurs with no money"""

There are also Pro's with no money. But you don't have to but your balls (and risk losing them), there will be tests from several news outlets, with proper measuring equipment and all, instead of guesses from idiots, about how good or bad the interfaces are.

Speaking of amateurish, your quoting system is quite amateurish and difficult to respond to. You should consider yourself lucky that I am even responding to a person who doesn't know how to properly communicate on a forum.

You may believe what you like, but how many plaques do you have hanging on your wall? My opinions are rarely wrong.

• Reply 10 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

The M-Audio keyboard mentioned here is more or less fine for course triggering of samples, drums and so on - at least in my experience.  If you're a 'real' piano player and you're looking for weighted keys to simulate the feel of a real piano experience. well of course the M-Audio keyboard will leave you wishing for more.  There's very little feedback from the M-Audio device, but again a weighted keyboard is going to set you back more $$$ wise.  That said, weighted keyboards leave me wanting LESS when I'm just trying to course trigger samples.  In the end, I ended up with both types and use them as there were intended - as tools. 

As I stated previously, keyboard feel is pretty subjective. I don't prefer piano feel (unless I'm playing a piano sound) , but I prefer a semi-weighted feel, that is not too springy and not too plastic feeling.

And the keyboard that was linked to is a 61 key keyboard, I would imagine that it is intended for people to actually play on. If somebody is just going to trigger samples, they can do that on practically anything.

• Reply 11 of 37

Quote:

You may believe what you like, but how many plaques do you have hanging on your wall? My opinions are rarely wrong.

Except perhaps your opinion of yourself.

• Reply 12 of 37
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Quote:

Talk about "Pro Tools"; That dude is the definition of "tool".

Damn, I wish blocked commenters wouldn't show up in other people's quoted comments.

(yeah, he's a "pro". Probably from the 1990s)

• Reply 13 of 37

Quote:

Is it a crime to think highly of oneself? image

Maybe in today's PC world it is, but I tend not to care too much about that.image

• Reply 14 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Oh, that's not the only one by a long shot.

• Reply 15 of 37

Quote:

Maybe in today's PC world it is, but I tend not to care too much about that.image

...and all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags

Isaiah 64:6

• Reply 16 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Its not a crime. But that is the wrong word in this context.

• Reply 17 of 37
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

What pray tell do you replace it with?  I've got a cup of coffee ready and am all set for a Reaper home studio user to tell me how much his clients love the Reaper Windows 95 workflow.   What do you use?   Nuendo?  DP?

I didn't throw away my Subaru just because a bunch of people I didn't like started buying them.   How foolish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Avid owns several smaller entities to cover the lower end market.  If you're using the example of the cheap, plastic M-Audio keyboard you bought and didn't like you've totally lost the argument about why ProTools isn't so great.   I would be more upset with myself for buying it than the fact that I thought a $75 controller would thrill me to death after I got it home after hating it in the store.

There are other forums for this, like, the Gearslutz "Low End Theory" category.

• Reply 18 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

What pray tell do you replace it with?  I've got a cup of coffee ready and am all set for a Reaper home studio user to tell me how much his clients love the Reaper Windows 95 workflow.   What do you use?   Nuendo?  DP?

I didn't throw away my Subaru just because a bunch of people I didn't like started buying them.   How foolish.

I still have Pro Tools on a few older Macs, I just don't use it too much anymore. Pro Tools is still very good, if somebody is strictly working with 100% audio material, IMO. I just prefer other DAWs when dealing with both Midi and Audio. Pro Tools was very late in getting good Midi implementation IMO.

The main DAW that I prefer to compose with is Logic nowadays, though I do also have Cubase which gets used from time to time, and on certain projects a combination of DAWs get used.

• Reply 19 of 37
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

Just to chime in here... count me as an M-Audio keyboard skeptic.  I purchased a 61-note Axiom in an emergency, and while it got me through the gig, there's no way I would depend on it, long-term, for live performances.  The build quality does not inspire confidence; in fact, it's shoddier than a 90's-vintage Casio or Yamaha consumer instrument (<$100).

• Reply 20 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Just to chime in here... count me as an M-Audio keyboard skeptic.  I purchased a 61-note Axiom in an emergency, and while it got me through the gig, there's no way I would depend on it, long-term, for live performances.  The build quality does not inspire confidence; in fact, it's shoddier than a 90's-vintage Casio or Yamaha consumer instrument (<$100).

I agree. It seems that many keyboards and controllers now are all about cramming as many useless and cheap plastic sliders as they can on to it, and they seem to neglect the most important thing, having a good feeling keybed and an overall good and sturdy build quality.