WhatsApp exec debunks rumors of Google takeover

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a statement issued late Monday, popular messaging app WhatsApp denied claims that Google was in advanced talks to purchase the firm, the second time such a rumor has been debunked in recent memory.

WhatsApp

WhatsApp's Neeraj Arora, the company's head of business development, told AllThingsD that sales talks are not being held with Google.

It was reported on Sunday that the data-based messaging giant was well into negotiations with Google, which was supposedly considering a buyout worth $1 billion. Digital Trends published the report citing an anonymous source.

The deemed false report played into other rumors that have Google working on its own cross-platform messaging initiative dubbed "Babble." That project will supposedly bring continuity across the search giant's various services on both Android and Apple's iOS mobile operating systems.

WhatsApp has become one of the most popular third party messaging apps in the world, boasting tens of millions of users on iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone.

During an interview in March, CEO Jan Koum revealed the pay structure of the iOS version of WhatsApp will change from a one-time fee of $0.99, to a yearly subscription model. Currently, iOS device owners can purchase the app and use it indefinitely, while users on all other mobile platforms must pay a recurring fee of $1 per year. While future iOS pricing is unknown, Koum said the subscription model would only be applicable to new users once the change is in place, with existing users being grandfathered in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Phew, that was annoying me. I can't stand the app, but loads of my friends use it. I would have hated it getting into the hands of google.

• Reply 2 of 13
    LOL subscription… right! I paid for my Whatsapp because I have an iPhone, but users of other platforms paid nothing simply because Whatsapp does not enforce the subscription. Is it not great to know that iOS users pay for themselves, and all the users of other platform, too?

And when they supposedly will begin to require subscription from users, those who already got a free right will continue to get a free ride because they will be grandfathered in. Just peachy.
  • Reply 3 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

LOL subscription… right! I paid for my Whatsapp because I have an iPhone, but users of other platforms paid nothing simply because Whatsapp does not enforce the subscription. Is it not great to know that iOS users pay for themselves, and all the users of other platform, too?

And when they supposedly will begin to require subscription from users, those who already got a free right will continue to get a free ride because they will be grandfathered in. Just peachy.

Oh no they charge 99 cents per year now. How much do you spend on starbucks a year yet a messaging service is not worth it. 

• Reply 4 of 13
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

/s (?)

A buck a year, dude?

Seriously?

• Reply 5 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If you want to have a laugh, read the comments over at Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en
  • Reply 6 of 13
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If you want to have a laugh, read the comments over at Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en

What exactly are we laughing at? People posting reviews?

• Reply 7 of 13
    3eleven wrote: »
    What exactly are we laughing at? People posting reviews?

I'm Dutch, and learned English in school. And even though I have worked for an American company, have a few English speaking friends, spend holidays in the States I have never read anything like these:

"It is go good since 2 years i have dis app...So superb app dis iz ..it is so useful 4 me ..i m continusly traveling..thank u so mch..."

"Whem I type sumtym its doesn't come in display"

And not just limited to 'internet slang' or whatever it's called, the message itself read a bit ...off:

"Really enjoyed using the what's app,app but I really do not look forward to this so called paying for it through Paypal. Well it was nice while it lasted guess I will just Facebook messenger now FREE! Paypal there is to many issues!!!"

"Yesss!! Is good...but later i cannot open, always put that the application not installed in phone..."

Must be me; English not being my native language, and therefore reading this differently than others. Of course, it is to be expected that posters on that site aren't English as well. Carry on...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If not Google then Facebook. I see someone buying it eventually. And I couldn't care less.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm Dutch, and learned English in school. And even though I have worked for an American company, have a few English speaking friends, spend holidays in the States I have never read anything like these:

"It is go good since 2 years i have dis app...So superb app dis iz ..it is so useful 4 me ..i m continusly traveling..thank u so mch..."

And not just limited to 'internet slang' or whatever it's called, the message itself read a bit ...off:

"Really enjoyed using the what's app,app but I really do not look forward to this so called paying for it through Paypal. Well it was nice while it lasted guess I will just Facebook messenger now FREE! Paypal there is to many issues!!!"

"Yesss!! Is good...but later i cannot open, always put that the application not installed in phone..."

Must be me; English not being my native language, and therefore reading this differently than others. Of course, it is to be expected that posters on that site aren't English as well. Carry on...

Check out the names of the reviewers.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »

Unfortunately, an intelligence test is not required to post on the Internet. Some forums seem to attract more idiots than others, but they're everywhere.

I used to work with several Dutch people and am always impressed with the level of language skills taught in the schools. Many of them can easily pass for native English speakers (and from reading your posts, you likely fit into that category). I interviewed a guy once who said he spoke 16 languages well enough to converse (but he apologized because he 'only' considered himself fluent in 12 of them). I had a couple of people working for me who were multilingual, so I tested him on a couple and he seemed to be telling the truth. Amazing (at least by American standards where only a tiny percentage of native speakers ever learn a second language - much less a third or more).
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jragosta wrote: »
    Unfortunately, an intelligence test is not required to post on the Internet. Some forums seem to attract more idiots than others, but they're everywhere.

I used to work with several Dutch people and am always impressed with the level of language skills taught in the schools. Many of them can easily pass for native English speakers (and from reading your posts, you likely fit into that category). I interviewed a guy once who said he spoke 16 languages well enough to converse (but he apologized because he 'only' considered himself fluent in 12 of them). I had a couple of people working for me who were multilingual, so I tested him on a couple and he seemed to be telling the truth. Amazing (at least by American standards where only a tiny percentage of native speakers ever learn a second language - much less a third or more).

And I can laugh at these type of posters, intentionally or not, with their 'slang'. A bit of an 'anything goes' world were living in. Maybe I'm just getting old, or at least value old manners.

In The Netherlands, English is mandatory to learn, and many kids choose German and French as well. But these countries can both be visited, on a single day, by car. Unlike America, which is so large, I therefore understand that many Americans only speak English. And respect anyone who speaks a foreign language as well. 12 or 16 would be a bit over the top, no matter where you come from, but admirable if one does.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Quote:

do you have any plans for that 99c/ year you're saving?

• Reply 13 of 13
    I suggest that you all learn to read because you obviously did not understand the message. I do not feel like teaching grammar and syntax.