Rumor: Apple to begin production of 5th-gen iPad in July-August

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Contrary to claims that a new full-size iPad will be introduced this month, a new report claims that Apple will instead begin production of its fifth-generation tablet later this summer.

The claim was published on Tuesday by DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech industry news site with a questionable track record with respect to Apple rumors. The report cited the site's usual sources at Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

iPad

In line with previous rumors, Tuesday's report claimed the new iPad will be lighter and thinner than the fourth-generation model with a slim bezel design similar to that of the iPad mini. The display for the new iPad will reportedly be produced by LG Display and Sharp, while touch panels will come from TPK.

The new iPad had been pegged for an "April-ish" release by Rene Ritchie of iMore. Again last week, he indicated he has heard from "several sources" that an April iPad event was planned by Apple, "if it's ready."

Speculation on Apple's next iPad has been varied, with other, earlier reports claiming the device could launch as late as October of this year. Apple surprised last year with two iPad launches, introducing the third-generation model with Retina display last March, only to unveil a fourth-generation model with a faster A6X CPU, Lightning connector and FaceTime HD camera in October.

This year, the company surprised again by launching a new, higher-capacity 128-gigabyte model in early February. It costs $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, while a variant with cellular connectivity runs $929.

Following the launch of the iPad mini late last year, Apple's smaller 7.9-inch model has reportedly been cannibalizing sales of the larger 9.7-inch model. Some reports have indicated that the iPad mini is already outselling the full-size iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Perhaps we'll see both new iPads and the Mac Pro at a May event? Or will they keep the Mac Pro for WWDC in June?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    DigiTimes. Just as stunning. Now run by people with a single-digit IQ.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ireland wrote: »
    Perhaps we'll see both new iPads and the Mac Pro at a May event? Or will they keep the Mac Pro for WWDC in June?

I don't think a new Mac Pro 'needs' an event. It might just simply pop up on their website.

Posted earlier in the year:
    Will they create a new tagline, or simply reuse an old one?

The Power Macintosh G3: Performance, capabilities, and style that will dazzle you every day you use it.
    Move over, speed of light. Introducing the Power Mac G4.
    Two brains are better than one.
    Power Mac G4 Cube. So much technology. So little space.
    Power to burn.
    Pro create. Introducing the new Power Mac G4.
    Introducing the new Power Mac G4. All with dual processors.
    The new Power Mac G4. Faster, more expandable, and more affordable than ever.
    The Power Mac G5. The world's fastest personal computer.
    The new Power Mac G5. Engineered for the creative class.
    The 64-bit professional dream machine.
    Power Mac G5. The power of four.
    Room to grow. Introducing Mac Pro.
    Professional velocity.
    The new Mac Pro. Tower of 8-core power.
    The new Mac Pro. Beauty outside. Beast inside.
    Mac. To the power of 12.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think a new Mac Pro 'needs' an event. It might just simply pop up on their website.

Perhaps you're right, but if it's very different I see them showing it off at an event. It has looked exactly this way for 7 years. If they change it radically it'd be like Apple not showing off the first Mac mini at an event. It'll likely be radically different with several cool and show-off-able features. I see them really capitalising on that.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    philboogie wrote: »

Perhaps you're right, but if it's very different I see them showing it off at an event. It's look exactly this way for 7 years. If they change it radically it'd be like Apple not showing off the first Mac mini at an event. It'll likely be radically different with several cool and show-off-able features. I see them really capitalising on that.

It depends on how "new" it is. Regardless, it won't be a Mac Pro only event even if it happens.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I hope this presages a significant update, and availability in sufficient numbers. Otherwise, why this delay?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    @philboogie: DigiTimes gets hits, and people like AppleInsider report on them... seems like they have enough IQ. It's not about bing useful, but about making Internet-monies...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    I hope this presages a significant update, and availability in sufficient numbers. Otherwise, why this delay?

There are many reason why they shouldn't release new iPads too often.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    andre402andre402 Posts: 19member

Why, oh why AI publishes this shit?

"Rumor claims a new iDevice coming soon", (and when 'soon' getting closer): "Trusted source contradicts a previous claim, postpones the rumored launch date", and "Anonyous trusted source hints at a cheaper version of an iDevice", etc.

What's the value of baseless claims and who gains from distributing this stuff?

Gone are the years of quality AI articles, one less RSS feed to follow.

• Reply 10 of 28
    andre402andre402 Posts: 19member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Tuesday's report claimed the new iPad will be lighter and thinner than the fourth-generation model...

Well that's just genius...

• Reply 11 of 28
    @philboogie: DigiTimes gets hits, and people like AppleInsider report on them... seems like they have enough IQ. It's not about bing useful, but about making Internet-monies...

Tru Dat! (sorry, couldn't resist, and back to my new iPad game for now)
  • Reply 12 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

One rock solid prediction that we can all take to the bank, every single time?

The day the fifth generation iPad is released the Apple discussion forums will be flooded with outraged users who bought the fourth generation iPad the day or week before, apoplectic that Apple didn't send them a personal email advising them to hold off. image

• Reply 13 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Souces indicate to me a new iModem will be introduced in May unless it's not ready.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    lkrupp wrote: »
    One rock solid prediction that we can all take to the bank, every single time?

The day the fifth generation iPad is released the Apple discussion forums will be flooded with outraged users who bought the fourth generation iPad the day or week before, apoplectic that Apple didn't send them a personal email advising them to hold off. :p

That would be stupid, because they have a 14 day return policy:
    http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund#policy

But I get what you're saying, and expect this to happen as well.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

In that situation it would be a worthless update, and Apple would have sealed its fate and the fate of their continued existence in the workstation realm.

Will they create a new tagline, or simply reuse an old one?

So much technology. So little space.

I'd think they wouldn't reuse anything, but I'm also feeling that this would be the closest to what they do use…

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It has looked exactly this way for 7 years.

I'd call that being too considerate, but that's me. image

• Reply 16 of 28
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    No mention of it being faster in the 'rumour', maybe it will be slower, that would certainly call for a special event. I tingle with anticipation.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    In that situation it would be a worthless update, and Apple would have sealed its fate and the fate of their continued existence in the workstation realm.

I don't think any update will be less of an update if marketed less, or wrong. The update will stand on its own, as it should. But that's just my opinion.
    I'd think they wouldn't reuse anything, but I'm also feeling that this would be the closest to what they do use…
    It has looked exactly this way for 7 years.

I'd call that being too considerate, but that's me. :lol:

But the inside has been updated, at almost every iteration. And I like it that the outside has looked the same all these years. Shows it's a winner...or something.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This must be the longest lull between Apple product announcements in quite some time. Hopefully, if it is a strategic decision, the wait is worth it.

But perhaps this is due to lesson learned from the iMac launch - keep quiet until production is truly ready.

• Reply 19 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think any update will be less of an update if marketed less, or wrong. The update will stand on its own, as it should. But that's just my opinion.

I suppose it does depend on the magnitude of the update, but if it's not worth talking about, it's probably not worth buying.

But the inside has been updated, at almost every iteration. And I like it that the outside has looked the same all these years. Shows it's a winner...or something.

Exactly. It's a great case design, as evidenced by the fact that they've used it for two months shy of an entire decade now.

Think about it. A decade! In computing! Has any other case lasted that long? Maybe that one black and grey Dell case we always saw, but that was the worst case of all time. This is the best! It'll be interesting to see where Apple could possibly take it from here.

And what semi-disparaging name we come up with for it (remember "cheese grater"?).

• Reply 20 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope you are talking about the Mac Pro and not the iPad.