Hospital uses iPads to connect mothers and newborns with 'BabyTime' initiative

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Cedars-Sinai hospital announced last week a new program it's calling "BabyTime," which uses Apple's iPad to help mothers stay connected to their newborns, even if they aren't able to move after giving birth.

BabyTime, a play on Apple's FaceTime, leverages the video messaging service to create a remote presence link between a new mother's room and the hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, reports TUAW.

BabyTime
Source: Cedars-Sinai

As noted by Cedars-Sinai, the program allows moms who are non-ambulatory to "visit" the NICU, where babies are usually taken after a cesarean section is performed or other complications require strict monitoring.

According to chair of the Cedars-Sinai Department of Pediatrics and Ruth and Harry Roman Chair in Neonatology Charles F. Simmons Jr., MD, some 20 to 30 percent of mothers who undergo C-sections are not capable of traveling to the NICU during the first 24 to 48 hours after giving birth, an important time in mother-child bonding.

The system works by placing one iPad near a baby's incubator, while another is given to the mother. The portable video and audio platform grants a level of interaction never before possible in such an environment, and lets parents see and hear their newborn even though they are floors away.

Mothers can access BabyTime twice a day, remotely interacting with their baby and nurses over a secured internet connection.

"BabyTime will help bridge communication with the family and the baby's medical team and is an excellent use of technology to help new mothers bond with their babies, even when they cannot be physically at their babies' bedside," Simmons said. ?When doctors and nurses are treating a newborn in the NICU, mom can be right there asking questions and getting updates, even if she?s on a different floor.?

The Cedars-Sinai initiative is just one example of how the iPad is slowly integrating with the medical field. It was reported last year that some hospitals were using the Apple tablet as visitor and patient kiosks, while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration cleared the device and an iOS app for mobile diagnoses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Why not just use a regular baby cam that can be accessed all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    city wrote: »

Can u carry your cam around ?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    How about you not irradiate the poor babies in the nursery or NICU with WiFi? I would sue if I was a parent for exposing the brains and bodies of newborns in intensive care with more stress on their bodies.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    How about you not irradiate the poor babies in the nursery or NICU with WiFi? I would sue if I was a parent for exposing the brains and bodies of newborns in intensive care with more stress on their bodies.

You americans would sue if a peanut landed on your head...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's good that hospitals are taking steps towards teaching young people early and by exposing them to iOS devices like the iPad from day one. After being exposed to an iPad, even a baby will be able to recognize and understand the vast differences between iPads and other so called tablets that everybody else offers, especially those featuring Android. Hell, even a fetus can probably tell the difference. And if you want to talk about closed VS open, then buying any other tablet besides Apple is really shooting yourself in the foot, because even though some people think that they're getting an "open" system when buying something like an Android tablet, they're actually closing themselves off to the huge Apple ecosystem, which at the end of the day is the only one that really matters and counts. But if people wish to gamble their money on a losing horse, then be my guest.

And I realize that all parents are proud of their new born babies, but not all babies are cute, that is a myth. Some are not exactly that attractive looking and the baby in that picture looks kind of weird, IMO. It looks more like a miniature old person than a baby, IMO.

• Reply 6 of 33
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

What do you think will happen? The frequencies for Wi-Fi are non-ionizing radiation so "irradiation" may not be the best term to use.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Mothers can access BabyTime twice a day, remotely interacting with their baby and nurses over a secured internet connection.

WiFi, you mean. I sure hope for these mothers that there isn't an Internet connection available to their baby, otherwise you run the risk of the babies buying Angry Birds as an iPad can be used by people of any age.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    A portable incubator would be better, just wheel the poor little tike in to see his mother.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This makes me uneasy.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    <p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">It's good that hospitals are taking steps towards teaching young people early and by exposing them to iOS devices like the iPad from day one. After being exposed to an iPad, even a baby will be able to recognize and understand the vast differences between iPads and other so called tablets that everybody else offers, especially those featuring Android.

"Mam, I love iOS moar."
  • Reply 11 of 33
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Baby gangnam style!

• Reply 12 of 33
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Actually that's just what a mother with post-partum depression wants to see: another woman holding her baby.

• Reply 13 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ireland wrote: »
    DaHarder just got banned. Lets crack open the champagne.

Nice sig, didn't see it happening. Can we thump this up? Or perhaps sent in requests/nominees?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by sweets eater View Post

…irradiate… …WiFi?

Step 1. Coat the entire baby in tin foil.

Step 2. Coat the crib in tin foil.

Step 3. Coat the nursery in tin foil.

Step 4. Go bankrupt because that's a fair bit of tin foil.

Enough of the FUD.

• Reply 15 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A portable incubator would be better, just wheel the poor little tike in to see his mother.

I agree. Unless your baby is a Tamagotchi, an iPad isn't the right mode of interaction.

• Reply 16 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    glemmestad wrote: »
    You americans would sue if a peanut landed on your head...

That's nuts. I'd sue if I have a peanut allergy.
    ascii wrote: »

How much do those things cost. Surely more expensive than two iPads. In addition, you don't want to take a baby out of NICU.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

Because Facetime is two way.  My wife was non-ambulatory and our first was in the NICU so it would have been nice for her.  Obviously not as good as skin time but better than nothing.  

A portable incubator is a non-starter since a) they have those and b) if the baby could leave the NICU it wouldn't be in the NICU in the first place.

• Reply 18 of 33
    That baby will imprint on the iPad and call it mother. Way to start brand loyalty. Samsung hopes it can lure the infant into following its lookalike "mother".
  • Reply 19 of 33
    notscott wrote: »
    Actually that's just what a mother with post-partum depression wants to see: another woman holding her baby.

On the other end, the mother is cradling a newborn iPad running FaceTime...
  • Reply 20 of 33

The best way to start off a lifetime's worth of exposure to wifi. I mean, do you know how many freaking base stations my Mac can see right now? It's enough for Apple to triangulate my Mac's location precisely using a wifi database.