Microsoft lambasts Google for sharing personal information of Android users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In the latest phase of its anti-Google campaign, dubbed "Scroogled," Microsoft has begun to highlight the fact that Android users' personal information is shared with developers every time they download an application.

The "Scroogled" website was updated on Tuesday with a new video detailing how a user's full name, email address, and the neighborhood where they live is passed from Google to an app maker every time software is downloaded from the Google Play store for Android. The campaign warns that this allows app makers to track what apps users buy, "even health related ones."

"Most app makers are trustworthy," the video states. "However, in the wrong hands, who knows what they'll do with your info?"

This transfer of information occurs every time a user buys an Android application from Google Play, Microsoft notes. The video shows information being collected to draw conclusions about a hypothetical issues, including the fact that they may be "overweight," have "cholesterol issues," or are "having a baby."

"Google does not clearly warn you that this transfer of personal info occurs every time you buy an app," Microsoft's campaign says. "It's not stated in the checkout process, on the receipt, or in your account history."

Scroogled

Of course, Microsoft's efforts are designed to push its own competing Windows Phone platform, which the company notes does not share such personal information with developers. For its part, Google has said its sharing practices are disclosed in the terms of service all users must agree to.

Greg Sullivan, Microsoft's senior manager for Windows Phone, told the Associated Press that he believes his company offers a "better alternative" for mobile users. He characterized Google's sharing of users' personal information as "nefarious."

Tuesday's update is the third major attack launched by Microsoft as part of its "Scroogled" campaign against Google.

In the first phase, Microsoft detailed how Google's algorithms go through users' personal emails to target them with advertisements. As an alternative, the Windows maker pushed its own Outlook email service.

The second "Scroogled" campaign explained how Google Shopping is a list of targeted ads that Microsoft believes "unsuspecting consumers assume are search results." Microsoft's alternative is Bing, which the company said provides "an honest search result."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Justin Bieber's monkey was scroogled by German officials. Am I using scroogled correctly? My spell check does not seem to know how to spell scroogle.

• Reply 2 of 122
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Hey stop complaining, look at all the things Google gives all you freeloader and entitlement minded people. You did not pay money for it so what do you care, they just took your personal information and sold it. Google made money and you got free stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    hmm
  • Reply 4 of 122
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 5 of 122
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Finally Microsoft understands who's eating it's lunch. I wish Microsoft all the luck in exposing the new Microsoft for what it is.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

I is great to see Microsoft making a complete fool of itself.  Windows Phone is a complete failure because it is horrible.  Funniest part of this is Microsoft does not mention all the information they have on people.

• Reply 7 of 122
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is why my next phone will be a Microsoft Windows Phone. Microsoft is leading the way in terms of protecting the privacy of its users.

You'll also have security through obscurity as an added bonus.

• Reply 8 of 122
    Hi
    I am not here to defend anyone but, dear Microsoft it is called Google checkout for merchants and developers , as in every business when you sell a product you see the details of your customers, whether it is an app or a book, by the way also customers can see the developers name,company name and the address , so it is equal , as you should be aware all email marketings are opt-out by default . I do not see any mistakes here , what is the problem to complain.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the first phase, Microsoft detailed how Google's algorithms go through users' personal emails to target them with advertisements. As an alternative, the Windows maker pushed its own Outlook email service.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's web-based Outlook.com service doesn't support the IMAP protocol, the de facto standard for smart phone email access.  I guess we can say Hotmail account holders who have now been upgraded to Outlook.com have been "Microsofted"?

• Reply 10 of 122
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    I agree this needs to change, and really don't understand how Google stays out of the headlines, but trashing your competitor like this just makes Microsoft look bad in the long run. Very expensive to a company.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I is great to see Microsoft making a complete fool of itself.  Windows Phone is a complete failure because it is horrible.  Funniest part of this is Microsoft does not mention all the information they have on people.

Agree, but the amount of information Microsoft has is getting less and less with each new attempt, they are running out of customers.

• Reply 12 of 122
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You'll also have security through obscurity as an added bonus.

:) haha. Very true!

• Reply 13 of 122
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconAndTrance View Post

Hi

I am not here to defend anyone but, dear Microsoft it is called Google checkout for merchants and developers , as in every business when you sell a product you see the details of your customers, whether it is an app or a book, by the way also customers can see the developers name,company name and the address , so it is equal , as you should be aware all email marketings are opt-out by default . I do not see any mistakes here , what is the problem to complain.

So you think iPhone shared as much of user information to app devs as Android?

• Reply 14 of 122
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconAndTrance View Post

Hi

Hey, new guy from the Googleplex, iOS app buyers don't have their personal information shared with app developers.  Just an FYI.  Remember, what seems "normal" in Mountain View may seem creepy or stalker-ish to the rest of the world.

• Reply 15 of 122
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I agree this needs to change, and really don't understand how Google stays out of the headlines, 

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? How everyone just kneel to the lord G.

• Reply 16 of 122
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

(A bit off-topic).

Hmmm..... odd that the headline should choose a British rather than American spelling.....

• Reply 17 of 122
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Now if Microsoft developed Visual Studio for OSX and a decent Office suite that is well integrated with 10.8 that would be good.

Then Apple could do the same for Windows, after they focus more on iWork and other apps for OSX.

• Reply 18 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Seems to be harder and harder to say that Google treats personal information the same as other companies (which I have never thought) but this is also coming from MS and not an independent source. Looking forward to [B]GatorGuy[/B]'s comments on this.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I agree with Microsoft.

Android is like the wild, wild, west, and you're basically playing russian roulette by being an Android user, and those users will get what they deserve.

• Reply 20 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    So you think iPhone shared as much of user information to app devs as Android?

If it's a purchase in iBooks I believe Apple might be sharing your contact information with the developer. Wasn't that one of the concessions Apple made for the magazine/newspaper publishers?

In general tho Apple and Google look at the developer's differently. In Google Play a paying customer is not Google's, it's the developer's. At Apple they keep the customer's to themselves as a rule, with iBooks being at least one exception.