Editorial: Apple's market disruption savvy is bad news for Android

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 167
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Speaking of GPS and phones, a California appellate court has ruled that using just the phone's GPS or map while driving, is a moving violation.

Calif. Court Upholds Ticket for Phone GPS Use While Driving

Not actually. The person was holding the phone looking at a map while driving. If he set it to turn by turn navigation and set it on the fash and forget it, he would have been ok.
  • Reply 162 of 167
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    "At the same time, despite having ignored the bottom of the mobile phone market Apple has still managed to retain iPod-style ecosystem dominance over mobile apps and the usage stats that drive supporting accessory sales and specialty markets such as government, education and enterprise."

Simply not true. The Android app ecosystem, while having it's faults, can clearly go toe-to-toe with iOS. Also, the rest of the smart phone ecosystem for me and many others is actually quite a lot nicer on the Android side of the fence. Why? Choice. On the iOS side, you take Apple's solution (iCloud, iCal, Address Book, iPhoto etc), and you love them or... you learn to love them. On the Android side you and pick and choose what services you want. With Android you can move between phones from different vendors quite easily. With Apple, you're stuck. This works in Apple's favor to an extent, but for some people it's actually a disincentive to jump whole-hog into the Apple camp.

So, this article is obviously written by someone who doesn't understand the up-sides of Android. The Galaxy III and IV are not "low end phones." There are many high end Android phones that stack up remarkably well, and in some cases surpass the iPhone.

The real problem is that Apple is finding it harder to differentiate itself from the masses of Android phones out there. The iPhone is better at some things. Android is better at some other things. Hold them at arm's length they are about feature equivalent. The disruption has already occurred. What we're seeing now is a maturing market. The market is big enough for both Apple and others to continue to thrive. This is different from the nascent MP3 player market that the iPod effectively swallowed whole. The smart-phone market is vast with many different needs, price points, form factors and trade-offs. Android is good for consumers because it allows much more choice. Apple said "7 inch tablets are awful" Manufacturers came out with 7" Android tablets. Apple now makes a smaller tablet. The same thing is probably about to happen with screen size from the other direction with the iPhone. In other words, having a large thriving Android world allows for more experimentation in the market, giving consumers more options and a more open app and data ecosystem.

• Reply 163 of 167
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In Australia, specifically New South Wales, I can use my phone's GPS provided it is mounted in a dock, apart from that a driver is not allowed to touch a phone unless handing it to a passenger.

Big brother is watching you, mate!

• Reply 164 of 167
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    graxspoo wrote: »
    "At the same time, despite having ignored the bottom of the mobile phone market Apple has still managed to retain iPod-style ecosystem dominance over mobile apps and the usage stats that drive supporting accessory sales and specialty markets such as government, education and enterprise."

Simply not true. The Android app ecosystem, while having it's faults, can clearly go toe-to-toe with iOS. Also, the rest of the smart phone ecosystem for me and many others is actually quite a lot nicer on the Android side of the fence. Why? Choice. On the iOS side, you take Apple's solution (iCloud, iCal, Address Book, iPhoto etc), and you love them or... you learn to love them. On the Android side you and pick and choose what services you want. With Android you can move between phones from different vendors quite easily. With Apple, you're stuck. This works in Apple's favor to an extent, but for some people it's actually a disincentive to jump whole-hog into the Apple camp.

So, this article is obviously written by someone who doesn't understand the up-sides of Android. The Galaxy III and IV are not "low end phones." There are many high end Android phones that stack up remarkably well, and in some cases surpass the iPhone.

The real problem is that Apple is finding it harder to differentiate itself from the masses of Android phones out there. The iPhone is better at some things. Android is better at some other things. Hold them at arm's length they are about feature equivalent. The disruption has already occurred. What we're seeing now is a maturing market. The market is big enough for both Apple and others to continue to thrive. This is different from the nascent MP3 player market that the iPod effectively swallowed whole. The smart-phone market is vast with many different needs, price points, form factors and trade-offs. Android is good for consumers because it allows much more choice. Apple said "7 inch tablets are awful" Manufacturers came out with 7" Android tablets. Apple now makes a smaller tablet. The same thing is probably about to happen with screen size from the other direction with the iPhone. In other words, having a large thriving Android world allows for more experimentation in the market, giving consumers more options and a more open app and data ecosystem.

Hahahahaha.
  • Reply 165 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

…the rest of the smart phone ecosystem for me and many others is actually quite a lot nicer on the Android side of the fence… …There are many high end Android phones that stack up remarkably well, and in some cases surpass the iPhone… …The real problem is that Apple is finding it harder to differentiate itself from the masses of Android phones out there… …Hold them at arm's length they are about feature equivalent… …The disruption has already occurred… …Android is good for consumers because it allows much more choice… 

I challenge someone to post something funnier. This made my day.

Apple said "7 inch tablets are awful" Manufacturers came out with 7" Android tablets. Apple now makes a smaller tablet.

I like how you not only change up the order of things here but also completely change the argument by the time you hit the end of the second sentence. 

• Reply 166 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Not actually. The person was holding the phone looking at a map while driving. If he set it to turn by turn navigation and set it on the fash and forget it, he would have been ok.

I was just talking about this the week before and making a joke of being able to play WwF on my iPhone whilst driving so long as I wasn't texting.