Microsoft lambasts Google for sharing personal information of Android users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If it's a purchase in iBooks I believe Apple might be sharing your contact information with the developer. Wasn't that one of the concessions Apple made for the magazine/newspaper publishers?

As much as you might wish that to be true, it's not.

• Reply 22 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And hypothetically speaking, if iOS were to cease to exist tomorrow, I would choose absolutely anything else besides Android. I would rather use a Windows phone, I would rather use Symbian, I would rather use a dead OS like WebOS, I would rather not own a phone if the only choice was Android.

Between Facebook and Google, I'm not sure which is worse. They are both companies that are out to rape users.

• Reply 23 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconAndTrance View Post

Hi

I am not here to defend anyone but, dear Microsoft it is called Google checkout for merchants and developers , as in every business when you sell a product you see the details of your customers, whether it is an app or a book, by the way also customers can see the developers name,company name and the address , so it is equal , as you should be aware all email marketings are opt-out by default . I do not see any mistakes here , what is the problem to complain.

The last time I bought something from a store, I can't recall them asking me for my: name, address, email address or anything of the like. It's one thing if it's a store that I have a rewards card for, since I KNOWINGLY gave them the information. Google sells it without your knowledge, especially if you didn't read ALL of the fine print as an Android user. That's where Google is making money on "FREE" Android. 

How are their users SO BLIND?!?!

I even switched to Yahoo! search, since I was tired of getting emails from Staples targeting items for every electronics device I searched using Google Shopping. 

Android's "freedom" is NOT intended for the end user. It's all smoke and mirrors that I want little to no part of. 

• Reply 24 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    john.b wrote: »
    As much as you might wish that to be true, it's not.

I'm fairly certain you will often get a dialogue box asking if it's OK for Apple to share your contact information with the publisher/developer.
  • Reply 25 of 122

Google checkout is used both by merchants and developers , what is the difference between sharing the billing address with merchants selling physical products or app developers ,when there is a problem with your product,app or you need a refund how will know who you are communicating  with ? Without confirming his details .  Just guessing , Amazon ,Ebay merchants probably know all their customers details even though they do not send any physical products for some of their services they provide.

• Reply 26 of 122

Quote:

Google checkout is used both by merchants and developers , what is the difference between sharing the billing address with merchants selling physical products or app developers ,when there is a problem with your product,app or you need a refund how will know who you are communicating  with ? Without confirming his details .  Just guessing , Amazon ,Ebay merchants probably know all their customers details even though they do not send any physical products for some of their services they provide.

If you buy from Amazon or eBay, you KNOW you have to give up your name, address and email address, or you won't receive your product. That's completely different than Google selling your information without obvious knowledge of the information being handed over. There is NO NEED for an APP DEVELOPER to have access to that information. You're buying a digital download, not a physical good. HUGE difference. 

Sellers on eBay and Amazon have access to: name, address and email address for obvious reasons. With eBay, you also have the buyer's PayPal email address for payments and refunds. Nothing more. 

If an app developer has to give a refund (yeah, right!), they need nothing more than your generic payment information, which Google SHOULD be responsible for. The developers should never have access to your credit card information, either. 

• Reply 27 of 122
    If you buy from Amazon or eBay, you KNOW you have to give up your name, address and email address, or you won't receive your product. That's completely different than Google selling your information without obvious knowledge of the information being handed over.

Where did you find evidence that Google sold your information?
  • Reply 28 of 122

So Google gives out your full name, email address, and the neighborhood where they live....big deal, all of that data is pretty much public data anyhow. Hundreds of millions of people give out much more private info to completely random websites and strangers all the time.

The yellow pages has been giving out you name, exact address, and phone number to anybody that can read too. Does that make them evil too?

In my opinion, nothing is beyond Microsoft when it comes to doing dirty business and this is Microsoft gasping for air as they slowly sink from relevancy.

• Reply 29 of 122
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

The last time I bought something from a store, I can't recall them asking me for my: name, address, email address or anything of the like. It's one thing if it's a store that I have a rewards card for, since I KNOWINGLY gave them the information. Google sells it without your knowledge, especially if you didn't read ALL of the fine print as an Android user. That's where Google is making money on "FREE" Android. 

I even switched to Yahoo! search, since I was tired of getting emails from Staples targeting items for every electronics device I searched using Google Shopping. 

Android's "freedom" is NOT intended for the end user. It's all smoke and mirrors that I want little to no part of. 

Sounds like you need to pay a little more attention to your receipts from credit card transactions at those stores! Your name is automatically included in any transaction, and with the exception of a very few states that have banned it, most ask for your zip code for authorization. Try to go to any gas pump and get out of there without your name and zip code being revealed....never going to happen.

The email address however is a little disconcerting. I do understand the rare need for a developer to contact their users in some customer support scenarios, but I don't think those needs outweigh the necessity of privacy rights.

• Reply 30 of 122

Quote:

If you buy from Amazon or eBay, you KNOW you have to give up your name, address and email address, or you won't receive your product. That's completely different than Google selling your information without obvious knowledge of the information being handed over. There is NO NEED for an APP DEVELOPER to have access to that information. You're buying a digital download, not a physical good. HUGE difference. 

Sellers on eBay and Amazon have access to: name, address and email address for obvious reasons. With eBay, you also have the buyer's PayPal email address for payments and refunds. Nothing more. 

If an app developer has to give a refund (yeah, right!), they need nothing more than your generic payment information, which Google SHOULD be responsible for. The developers should never have access to your credit card information, either. 

There are some many examples where you are required to provide your address even though you do not receive any physical good. whether it is buying hosting,domain name, or a service on ebay or amazon , you will still required to provide your address and the merchant who provides the service  will see your address . that is my point . Seeing addresses and  emails of the customers does not make any difference for the Devs, all emails are opt-out by default for marketing.

• Reply 31 of 122
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

because if you paid by credit card, they did not need to.  Most people have no clue what those "Rewards" cards are.  Google has nothing on you compared to what credit card companies and "rewards" cards have on you.  How are you so blind?

Yahoo search is Bing as in "Bing Is Not Good".  No thanks Mr Microsoft astroturfer.

• Reply 33 of 122
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    If we cannot trust Google can we trust Microsoft? probably not - if there is a buck to be made by selling something then every company is going to look for a way to make money - Google, MS, Apple, HP, IBM and Dell. They don't care about you and me they care about the bonus the CEO and his lackey's get.

Screw you consumer.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    bullhead wrote: »
    because if you paid by credit card, they did not need to.  Most people have no clue what those "Rewards" cards are.  Google has nothing on you compared to what credit card companies and "rewards" cards have on you.  How are you so blind?

Yahoo search is Bing as in "Bing Is Not Good".  No thanks Mr Microsoft astroturfer.

Google has much more information than data aggregators unless, of course, you don't use google services.

Google Search
    • Search Engine Result Pages
    • Country code domain
    • Query
    • IP address
    • Language
    • Number of results
    • Safe search
    • Additional preferences can include:
    • Street Address
    • City
    • State
    • Zip/postal code
    • Server log
    • Query
    • URL
    • IP address
    • Cookie
    • Browser
    • Date
    • Time
    • Clicks
    • Google Personalized Search
    • Logs every website visited as a result of a Google search

Google Accounts
    • Used as resource to compile information on individual users
    • Username
    • Password
    • Alternate e-mail
    • Location (country)
    • Personal picture
    • Usage
    • Friends
    • Google Services usage
    • Amount of logins

Toolbar
    • All websites visited
    • Unique application number
    • Sends all visited 404s to Google
    • Toolbar synchronization function
    • Stores autofill info with Google account
    • Sends structure of web forms to Google
    • Safe browsing
    • Stores response to security warnings
    • Stores autofill forms data
    • Spellcheck sends data to Google servers

Web History
    • Every website visited from Google SERP
    • Date
    • Time
    • Search query
    • Ads clicked
    • Which service

Gmail
    • Stores, processes, and maintains all messages
    • Account activity
    • Storage usage
    • Number of log-ins
    • Data displayed
    • Links clicked
    • Stores all e-mails
    • Contact lists
    • Spam trends
    • Gchat
    • All conversations and who they involve.
    • When service is used
    • Size of contact list
    • Contacts communicated with
    • Frequency of data transfers
    • Size of data transfers
    • Clicks

Calendar
    • Name
    • Default language
    • Time zone
    • Usage statistics
    • How long the service is used for
    • Size of data transfers
    • Number of events
    • Number of calendars
    • Clicks
    • Deletes every 90 days
    • All events
    • Who is going
    • Who was invited
    • Comments
    • Descriptions
    • Date
    • Time

YouTube
    • YouTube SERP data
    • Registered user data
    • Videos uploaded
    • Comments posted
    • Videos flagged
    • Subscriptions
    • Channels
    • Groups
    • Favorites
    • Contacts
    • All videos watched
    • Size of data transfers
    • Click location data
    • Information display data
    • Web Beacons for tracking
    • E-mail opened or discarded
    • Account basics
    • Password
    • Username
    • Location (country)
    • Postal code
    • Birthdate
    Google Checkout
    • Buyers
    • Full legal name
    • Credit card number
    • Debit card number
    • Card expiration date
    • Card Verification Number (CVN)
    • Billing address
    • Phone number
    • E-mail address
    • Sellers
    • Bank account number
    • Personal address
    • Business category
    • Government-issued identification number
    • Social Security Number
    • Taxpayer Identification Number
    • Sales Volume
    • Transaction volume
    • Business information from Dun & Bradstreet
    • Transactions
    • Amount
    • Description of product
    • Name of seller
    • Name of buyer
    • Type of payment used
    • User trend data
    • Web Beacons
    • Referrer data

This is just the disclosed information that Google legally gathers from users of a few of Google's most popular services. Google has many more services including many for which they do not provide disclosure.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Most of us buy stuff all the time from eBay, Amazon, and other online stores... and they all get to know our name, address, phone, email, etc.

The difference here is that Google has not made it clear to buyers that the same situation exists in their app store.

That is, when I buy something online, there's always a form that I have to fill out with all my info (or a checkbox to okay an address).  This automatically makes me aware that my info is going to the seller.

I think Google should have an optional form already filled in, that you can change or even blank out if you wish.   Or at the least, a notice and "ok" checkbox.

• Reply 36 of 122
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Hi

I am not here to defend anyone but, dear Microsoft it is called Google checkout for merchants and developers , as in every business when you sell a product you see the details of your customers, whether it is an app or a book, by the way also customers can see the developers name,company name and the address , so it is equal , as you should be aware all email marketings are opt-out by default . I do not see any mistakes here , what is the problem to complain.

When you buy an App on the App Store, the only party that is privy to your information if Apple. Apple has your credit card information, name, address, etc. I do not expect Apple to share that anymore then I would expect Walmart to share my information with Hersey if I bought a Tootsie Roll from a Walmart Store. Google Play, however, shares this type of information with the developers all of which are free to do what they want with your information. 

I agree with Microsoft. 

• Reply 37 of 122
    I agree KD.
    That's an excellent suggestion, and Google should consider it..
  • Reply 38 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Most of us buy stuff all the time from eBay, Amazon, and other online stores... and they all get to know our name, address, phone, email, etc.

The difference here is that Google has not made it clear to buyers that the same situation exists in their app store.

That is, when I buy something online, there's always a form that I have to fill out with all my info (or a checkbox to okay an address).  This automatically makes me aware that my info is going to the seller.

I think Google should have an optional form already filled in, that you can change or even blank out if you wish.   Or at the least, a notice and "ok" checkbox.

Amazon and eBay do not have my phone number as it is not required for a credit card transaction. Moreover, if I walk into an Apple Store and buy an iPhone case made by Switcheasy, I would not expect Apple to give Switcheasy any of my personal information. I did business with Apple, not Switcheasy. Here not only is Google getting your information, but the developer is getting it as well. 

• Reply 39 of 122
    Google has much more information than data aggregators unless, of course, you don't use google services.

Etc etc

This is just the disclosed information that Google legally gathers from users of a few of Google's most popular services. Google has many more services including many for which they do not provide disclosure.

A very thorough list MacBook Pro. Nicely done. I realize it may take a few minutes but can you do a similar one for Apple for comparison purposes?
  • Reply 40 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I prefer Bing most of the time especially for images. I also like that searching earns me points towards things like Starbucks. I like the changing daily photo with information attached as well. Bing has a fun blind test challenge