Apple's iMessage and FaceTime down for some users [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
An unknown number of users have been affected by an outage of Apple's iMessage and FaceTime messaging services, with downtime reaching nearly an hour.

iCloud Status

Apple has confirmed the service interruption on its iCloud System Status webpage, noting that some iMessage and FaceTime users are unable to send messages or make video calls. The root of the problem is unknown at this time.

Tuesday's troubles add to a list of sporadic iCloud service outages that have cropped up recently. The issues are usually resolved within one to two hours.

Most recently, Apple's iCloud account authentication system went down immediately after the company rolled out the OS X 10.8.3 maintenance update, causing some users to be left without a number of services.

Update: As of 5:20 p.m. PST, all issues have been resolved. The outage lasted for a little over five hours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

I've never had any issues with iMessage or Facetime that I can recall.  They've always been reliable for me(and iMessage is working fine atm).  The only issue I have with iCloud is its propensity to wipe out my contact list.  It would just disappear randomly for seemingly no reason.  Finally had to turn the sync off and do it manually. 

• Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I just tried to resolve my iMessage issues by toggling AirPort, then erasing my network settings, then rebooting. So annoying! If the program can't reach the iMessage, FaceTime, or some other iCloud service server it should then try to access a simple URL where it can see if that particular service is functioning properly or not. If it can get to that site that means there is an internet connection. If that app sees that some users can't access said service it could at least inform the user that there could be a problem, even trying periodically and then letting you know when it's available.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/23312/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 28
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    The Messages app on my desktop never sends the first message to other iMessage users. The second message almost always goes through. This is not unique to me; other users are struggling with the same issue. 10.8.3 doesn't resolve the long-standing issue. :-(
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Mine's down now in NYC.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

*sighs* Apple just plain sucks at cloud stuff. 

• Reply 6 of 28
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Oh no for one hour my calls could possibly only be sound and text cold possibly to not eat a data plan.

Got that out of the way.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

*sighs* Apple just plain sucks at cloud stuff. 

No. They have the best cloud "stuff" available for consumers. Most don't even know it exists... It's a win.

There's not a single service that is better and remember: iCloud is exploding not only on functionality but also the number of users! millions and millions costumers each week!

If you take into account that 5 years ago Apple "only" sold a few million iPods per quarter and 5 million macs per YEAR, their growth and ability to be the best on every single thing they do is just phenomenal. Best OSes, Best hardware, best pro apps, best desktop browser experience (mac safari), best "mail" client, maps, etc etc etc and best cloud solution.

• Reply 8 of 28
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Working fine in London.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No. They have the best cloud "stuff" available for consumers. Most don't even know it exists... It's a win.

There's not a single service that is better and remember: iCloud is exploding not only on functionality but also the number of users! millions and millions costumers each week!

If you take into account that 5 years ago Apple "only" sold a few million iPods per quarter and 5 million macs per YEAR, their growth and ability to be the best on every single thing they do is just phenomenal. Best OSes, Best hardware, best pro apps, best desktop browser experience (mac safari), best "mail" client, maps, etc etc etc and best cloud solution.

I would disagree strongly with you. Best OSes and hardware? Definitely. Best pro apps and browser? Highly debatable. Best mail client? Hahahahahaha.

I also wish that the iTunes cloud for apps and media was as fast, reliable and automatic as Steam.

• Reply 9 of 28

It's down here in Orlando.

> Keeps giving me the message "342******* is not registered with iMessage."

• Reply 10 of 28
    jojo44jojo44 Posts: 1member
    I'm in London too but mine is down, as is my son's and my ex's in New York.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

All of that doesn't mean squat if it goes down every other day. 

• Reply 12 of 28
    Hasn't worked in Michigan for 2 hours.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    texdeafytexdeafy Posts: 78member
    Down in Texas and Oklahoma! That is "fucking" annoy!! :(
  • Reply 14 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    You know, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't read articles such as these. Worst case scenario- your message is sent/received as a text instead, like every other phone. OH NO THE HORROR. The inconvenience to the user is near Zero.

Also, I don't know of any other company that publically posts a history of affected services in such fine grained detail. Apple is pretty damn transparent in this area and it should be applauded.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    An unknown number of users have been affected by an outage of Apple's iMessage and FaceTime messaging services, with downtime reaching nearly an hour.

Good. At last we have some bad news for Apple. Maybe THAT will make the stock go up. /s
  • Reply 16 of 28
    djtdjt Posts: 4member
    Down in Chicago
  • Reply 17 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    But then on the plus side, it did mean my lady friend left me alone so I could get on with stuff. Going off the grid every now and then is good.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Huh?! I can send and receive to certain contacts but not to others. I guess that means my account is fine, but some of the people I'm sending to aren't fine, or they have some odd segmentation with the service.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't read articles such as these. Worst case scenario- your message is sent/received as a text instead, like every other phone. OH NO THE HORROR. The inconvenience to the user is near Zero.

Yeah, if that's how it worked, great. But since the iCloud failure means the device just shits itself and doesn't send the message AT ALL, iMessage or SMS, your dismissive attitude comes across as rude.

• Reply 20 of 28
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Oh no for one hour my calls could possibly only be sound and text cold possibly to not eat a data plan.

Got that out of the way.

Five hours, not an hour.

Glad to hear it won't adversely affect you. It's a bloody royal pain for some of us.