Apple patents offline iTunes purchases using per-device 'credit' system

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No. I was questioning the necessity (and utility) of his snarkiness (I'm being kind). Ergo, no need to quote the people he was offending.

But he was right.  The point he was referring to made no sense.  And "stuff and nonsense" is hardly beyond the pale in a rough and tumble forum like this.  It wasn't even ad hominem.  

• Reply 22 of 25
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    sirrom wrote: »
    "<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">What if the thing you are buying is not digital and/or not delivered online?</span>

<br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">
    <span style="line-height:18px;">Say, a pair of shoes, a movie ticket, a bagel, gas for your car…"</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">
    </span>

Finally, someone who gets it.

iWallet anyone?

Yeah! What Apple is working towards is much, much, much more than buying digital content...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    It seems like something that might mess a system up
  • Reply 24 of 25
    thebreenthebreen Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

When you buy a new iPod it is preloaded with thousands of songs, and you can pay to unlock them without ever connecting to the Internet?

This may be the key. In the past, iPods were not allowed to come preloaded with songs (even the special U2 Project Red iPod) because of a contractual agreement with The Beatles. That agreement and its complications no longer exist, so Apple could very easily pre-load tracks onto new iOS devices.

Another way of dealing with the "if I have to connect to download tracks anyway, what's the point?" issue could be similar to a combination of iTunes Match and the Genius thing. The device could (with user permission) track music preferences and automatically download likely tracks in the background when the user is connected via WiFi, for instance.

Or a user could "subscribe" to certain bands and automatically download tracks from those bands (again, in the background via iFi to not eat cellular data plans). The user could discover these tracks at leisure, perhaps play them a couple of times, and then buy them if they like them.

The only real down side for someone like me is that this would, of course, require a certain amount (user configurable?) of storage space on the device. My devices, even at 64GB, tend to stay pretty close to full so I wouldn't likely be able to take advantage of this proposed system. Still, many others might.

• Reply 25 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

I would like to be able to buy an app that is over 50 meg and have the download take place later.  As for the music, how can you even see it to buy it if you aren't connected to the store already?