Rumor: Next-gen 'iPhone 5S' to be offered in 3 colorways, debut in July

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As speculation regarding the next-gen iPhone launch gathers steam, a new rumor out of the Far East claims the supposed handset will be offered in a total of eight different colors.

iPod touch
Colorways of Apple's iPod touch lineup. | Source: Apple

Citing a "trusted source," Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that when the "iPhone 5S" hits store shelves, it will come in three colorways, adding one color to Apple's usual black and white variants. The source failed to reveal the mystery color.

It should be noted that the Google translation on the blog's webpage incorrectly states "3 colors added to 2 colors of iPhone 5," suggesting there will be five color options for the iPhone 5S. The actual translation is, "One new color will be added to the iPhone 5's existing two color options for a total of three colors."

The report relates to one analyst's expectations from January, when Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said industry checks led him to believe the next-gen "iPhone 5S" would come in eight colors: pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver and slate shades currently found on the iPod nano, and a (Product)Red model with proceeds benefiting AIDS research.

Tuesday's rumor also claims the cheaper iPhone will be getting the color treatment, though failed to offer any details on the matter.

Apple is widely expected to launch an entry-level iteration of the iPhone in a possible bid to compete with cheap Android models. In March, the well-informed analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the less expensive unit fiberglass and plastic in order to shave build material costs. Additionally, Kuo believes the low-cost iPhone version will boast the same design as the iPhone 5, including the handset's 4-inch screen.

Finally, the latest rumor pegs July as a likely timeframe for Apple to debut the next-gen iPhone and corresponding budget model, largely congruent with market watchers' expectations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Should be fun, I like to see choices even when I'm inclined to stick it in a case anyway. lol
  • Reply 2 of 56
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Is it three or eight?  And what's a "colorway?"

• Reply 3 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'd be cool with this. Would create some diversity in the iPhone lineup, for those that are "bored" with the look.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

• Reply 5 of 56

Oh, I'd love to have a "flower power" iPhone!

Chandra69, you are completely missing the point: these new phones are supposed to be lower-cost, consumer-friendly devices.  Not stodgy enterprise machines, nor high-art for the elite.  Make them inexpensive and available for a variety of tastes.  Even for old hippies, or... um... "girls".

• Reply 6 of 56

I like it. Kind of fun.

I would like Apple to put a thin, soft, suede covering on the back and sides of the iPhone. Then we wouldn't need cases at all....

No doubt cases are good protection, but they do add bulk to a beautifully designed phone.

• Reply 7 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

Yeah, cause not like there'a many women buying phones, right? Such an insignificant minority group. 

/s

• Reply 8 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    There is no such fcucking thing as a "colorway."

It's offered in three *colours* or "colour schemes."
  • Reply 9 of 56
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    I'd take red in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 10 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    As speculation regarding the next-gen iPhone launch gathers steam, a new rumor out of the Far East claims the supposed handset will be offered in a total of eight different colors.

Nonsense.

Let's see:
    8 colors
    2 sizes (maybe 3)
    At least 3 different versions for the different networks
    3 different storage capacities

So we have at least 144 different versions? I'd be absolutely shocked.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    The only 'colorway' I'd be interested in would be white/silver but with a black face. Like the old 3G. Because the current black/slate chips and tarnishes like crazy (all my friends' phones look like crap already) but I don't like staring at a white facia.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    chandra69 wrote: »

"Because if I don't like it, no one can." :rolleyes:
  • Reply 13 of 56
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

They create great aura and gravity around them

Wow - just like a planet!

I guess you mean gravitas

• Reply 14 of 56
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The Japanese doesn't say anything about " color[B]ways[/B]."

It's "[B]colors[/B]." You guys did this before. You have a fetish for terms like this because you're "journalists" and you think it makes you sound like insiders if you use an obscure industry term, even if the term is borrowed from the rag trade or office furniture manufacturing.

It debases the language to use jargon where it makes no sense to do so. And it pisses your readers off. Besides, it's a stupid term. What are "ways"?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

Let's see:

8 colors

2 sizes (maybe 3)

And I'm sure Da Harder will buy 3 or is it 9 of each for every member of his family.

• Reply 16 of 56
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Oh, I'd love to have a "flower power" iPhone!

Chandra69, you are completely missing the point: these new phones are supposed to be lower-cost, consumer-friendly devices.  Not stodgy enterprise machines, nor high-art for the elite.  Make them inexpensive and available for a variety of tastes.  Even for old hippies, or... um... "girls".

Kinda like this?

• Reply 17 of 56
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Colors are what cases are for.  I hope this rumor is incorrect as that would tell me that Apple is running out of innovative ideas.  I have a black iPhone but you cannot tell because of the Otterbox case I have.

• Reply 18 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

Let's see:

8 colors

2 sizes (maybe 3)

Not "at least," it would be "at most." 

One of the new colors will be Zune Brown... Apple's way of saying Naa, naa naa to Microsoft for beating their butt in iDevices.

• Reply 19 of 56
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Is it three or eight?  And what's a "colorway?"

"Colorway" is a term used in the dyeing and printing industries, indicating the color, or pattern variations offered in a line of fabric, wallpaper, etc. I've heard the odd interior designers use it once or twice. I have no idea why AI is using the term here. 15 years in product design and the only place I've ever heard the term used WRT finished products that are offered to consumers is one other time, here at AI (probably the same author and their weird usage via a 1970's glossary of fabric industry terms.)

I suppose they might claim this is just my "opinionway."

• Reply 20 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jragosta wrote: »

Or just one that covers everything. Given that the Verizon phone just needs the chip switch or whatever for tmobile 3G it doesn't seem to hard to do. Add some software to support flipping between Verizon and Sprint and go with one lineup of skus