Rumor: Next-gen 'iPhone 5S' to be offered in 3 colorways, debut in July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    sorry gazobee... but there is such a term as a 'colorway'... It is simply a color theme and is often used in product design.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"Colorway" is a term used in the dyeing and printing industries, indicating the color, or pattern variations offered in a line of fabric, wallpaper, etc. I've heard the odd interior designers use it once or twice. I have no idea why AI is using the term here. 15 years in product design and the only place I've ever heard the term used WRT finished products that are offered to consumers is one other time, here at AI (probably the same author and their weird usage via a 1970's glossary of fabric industry terms.)

I suppose they might claim this is just my "opinionway."

The term is creeping into random product descriptions via hipster bike enthusiasts, who have been talking about their rides "colorways" for a while now.   I'll bet you dollars to donuts that whoever is using this term at AI picked up from there, and thinks it sounds cool.  

• Reply 23 of 56
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Colour choice and a larger screen size are critical to Apple suceeding in Asia. Elegant means different things to different people in different parts of the world.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

There is no such fcucking thing as a "colorway."

I can see it being a valid word here due to the possibility that the devices will be two-tone.

• Reply 25 of 56
    It's about time! The world isn't black and white.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

A larger screen will pretty much ensure that I just keep my iPhone 5.  I already have an iPad.  And with the resolution on the iPhone screen, there's nothing I can't do that a larger screen would allow me to.

As to colors, I can't imagine moving away from black.

Call me stodgy, whatever.  

• Reply 27 of 56
    This is not like Apple to co brand, but Tiffany Blue.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I want that Product(Red) version. That's why I have a Product(Red) Mophie case ^^'
    They look aaawesome!
  • Reply 29 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Colors are what cases are for.  I hope this rumor is incorrect as that would tell me that Apple is running out of innovative ideas.  I have a black iPhone but you cannot tell because of the Otterbox case I have.

I've seen a lot of iPhones caseless... Mine never was due to antenna issues, though. Oh, wait, on this forum there are no antenna issues. Let's say, due to "perceived" antenna issues then.

• Reply 30 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Colour choice and a larger screen size are critical to Apple suceeding in Asia. Elegant means different things to different people in different parts of the world.

Also, white's the color of death in China. Red is the color of marriage and happiness...

• Reply 31 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

One of the new colors will be Zune Brown... Apple's way of saying Naa, naa naa to Microsoft for beating their butt in iDevices.

Yeah. Because Zune Brown is such a delightful color, reminiscient of poor design choices at said company....

• Reply 32 of 56

Satisfied with my white 4S and if I will switch to 5S even in that case I will prefer to have white.

More color will attract lot of people but truly speaking i don't trust these Chinese rumor posts.

• Reply 33 of 56
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

But last time I checked, there were still plenty of girls walking the earth. Do you really want to shut them out?

That's sad.

• Reply 34 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

I've always found these sorts of comments idiotic. What's just about the first thing most people do with their iPhone? Slap it in case where you might see bits and pieces of the original phone peeking out. However slick or beautiful it might be, it doesn't really matter since you're basically hiding it anyhow. 

• Reply 35 of 56
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I can't see Apple doing this:

[LIST]
    [*] they would have to guesstimate in production how many of each color to produce;
    [*] Apple already has production ramp-up problems for new devices, specifically iPhone... just imagine this one when "red" is sold out;
    [*] unnecessary SKU "bloat";
    [*] as others have said, "cases do individualism quite well";
    [*] just read an article where it has been "suggested" that women "possibly" choose their phones based on what cool, fab, designer cases are available for it;
    [*]
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Or just one that covers everything. Given that the Verizon phone just needs the chip switch or whatever for tmobile 3G it doesn't seem to hard to do. Add some software to support flipping between Verizon and Sprint and go with one lineup of skus

A chip switch means a different SKU.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    oneof52 wrote: »
    I'd take red in a heartbeat!

I hope they make a ProductRED™

mactel wrote: »
    Colors are what cases are for.  I hope this rumor is incorrect as that would tell me that Apple is running out of innovative ideas.  I have a black iPhone but you cannot tell because of the Otterbox case I have.

But those cases still show the color of your phone
  • Reply 38 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »

Not necessarily. Look at the iPod Touch. Different color backs, but the face is white on all of them. A case would hide the backs and show only white - no matter what color you buy.
    http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/
  • Reply 39 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Not necessarily. Look at the iPod Touch. Different color backs, but the face is white on all of them. A case would hide the backs and show only white - no matter what color you buy.
    http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Very perceptive of you. I was only thinking about the iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Hopefully, been waiting for this for years.
    I'll take the blue one thanks.