Photos of purported 5th-gen iPad cover glass surface, show iPad mini inspired design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wonderful; now it's unusable.

Because, of course, the iPad Mini is so unusable. 

• Reply 22 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    Or they replace the mini at the same price with the Retina mini. That's what they should do. And additionally they should replace the iPad 2 at the same price with this iPad 5. Simplifying and making irresistible the 2013 iPad lineup.

The iPad mini Retina should start at $329 and the iPad 5 should start at $429. That would be awesome.
    That would be awesome.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I would have said similar, but the bezel isn't as narrow as the mini, and the overall device will likely be quite a bit lighter, so don't pre-judge until you have held it.

Yeah, you're right about that. I can hold my iPad in one hand from behind, but I'd describe it as "painful". I can hold the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-gen iPads in one hand from behind, but I'd describe it only as "doable", and I have fairly large hands. 

Can't see why I'd want to hold a full-size iPad from behind for actual use, but maybe a smaller bezel will force people to do that, given that it's no longer wide enough for…I'm getting ahead of myself make it meaningful.

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Please tell me this was humor and not a representation of your belief that the two devices are in any way similar in this regard.

• Reply 24 of 43
    kirschkirsch Posts: 11member
    The current gen iPad is great. Its biggest flaw is weight. Looks like that will get improved on!
  • Reply 25 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Yeah, the mini is the most popular and most useable iPad Apple currently makes.  

TallestSkil has a few small issues wherein his opinion is completely at odds with the general population, and is yet repeatedly put forward as if it were a plain fact that everyone must agree with.  

The iPad mini, it's size, and it's utility is definitely one of those issues. 

• Reply 26 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kirsch wrote: »
    The current gen iPad is great. Its biggest flaw is weight. Looks like that will get improved on!

There looks to be many areas in which they can reduce weight, which includes power consumption will will allow the battery (and other components) to shrink. I am expecting it to be less than the iPad 2 in weight.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, the mini is the most popular and most useable iPad Apple currently makes.  

TallestSkil has a few small issues wherein his opinion is completely at odds with the general population, and is yet repeatedly put forward as if it were a plain fact that everyone must agree with.  

The iPad mini, it's size, and it's utility is definitely one of those issues. 

TS' nightmare : The NEW iPad with the following specs:

• Smaller than the present iPad.

• Named 'iPad 10' (or any number other than the one TS deems correct). 

I am not sure he'd be able to get past it.

• Reply 28 of 43

Quote:

I would have said similar, but the bezel isn't as narrow as the mini, and the overall device will likely be quite a bit lighter, so don't pre-judge until you have held it. Just my opinion.

I'm thinking the same... IF this is a true rumor pic.

Not only lighter, but narrower... which also increases the 'mechanical advantage' (center of mass is 'closer' to the edges, therefore requiring less force to keep it from 'pivoting' (Lever physics).

So, lighter or smaller dimensions will make it easier to hold... And, if they add frictional grippiness, even less 'squeeze' will be necessary.

Assuming the glass is remains the same weight per mm^2, trimming a couple mm's from either side will reduce both the weight and fulcrum length, thereby reducing the effort needed to hold.  So it remains if the battery storage efficiencies improve by a few percent as well, further reducing weight and the need for more cubic space,  the fulcrum point moves closer to the edge for the same effort as the older, larger designs.  (especially if they improve 'grippiness' as well).

• Reply 29 of 43
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not sure he'd be able to get past it.

Passed image

With a more narrow bezel it will come with a better way to ignore thumbs that creep onto the screen when holding it normally.

• Reply 30 of 43

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

TS' nightmare : The NEW iPad with the following specs:

• Smaller than the present iPad.

• Named 'iPad 10' (or any number other than the one TS deems correct). 

I don't have a problem with dropping names for the iPad and just going to sizes being advertised. You don't see the "MacBook Pro Mini" do you? Or the "MacBook Air Mini"?

I have a problem with calling it the iPad 10" if it were, say, 8", though. image

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

With a more narrow bezel it will come with a better way to ignore thumbs that creep onto the screen when holding it normally.

See, with the same bezel, they don't need to waste their time removing functionality from the screen. That bothers me.

• Reply 31 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

But pre-judging is what he does best!

(and pre-judging is what we are all doing here on this rumor site)

We are pre-judjing what looks legit in this case.

• Reply 32 of 43

Quote:

Can't see why I'd want to hold a full-size iPad from behind for actual use...

Narrow side bezels also reduce weight. In fact, I'd go as far to say that this is the reason for them. So holding with two hands will be easier, and balancing on your chest in bed will be easier. I do this often and after an hour it'd be nice if it was just a touch less heavy.

• Reply 33 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirsch View Post

I fully agree with this.

Its second biggest flaw are its speakers. I would like MUCH better audio, and at least 50% louder.

This is what Apple need to work on. Weight and audio. Everything else is very good. And like I say, my iPad 4 is the best product I've even owned. So if both these issues were solved I'd be very interested in upgrading.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE iPADS OF 2020 ARE LIKE!

Imagine for a moment the iPad 10. Or the iPad 20.

• Reply 34 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There looks to be many areas in which they can reduce weight, which includes power consumption will will allow the battery (and other components) to shrink. I am expecting it to be less than the iPad 2 in weight.

I should hope it's less than 601 grams. That's almost double the weight of iPad mini. In fact I'd be shocked if it weighed above 580 grams.

• Reply 35 of 43
    Thats so ausum.. For which i was waiting so far...the narrow side bezel at the sides with that all around chamfered diamond cutting in ipad mini. If the same has been incorporated into the big one it wud a perfectly perfect product not only from inside but also from outside....????
  • Reply 36 of 43
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

I should hope it's less than 601 grams. That's almost double the weight of iPad mini. In fact I'd be shocked if it weighed above 580 grams.

The weight is what I've been waiting for: I liked my "new" iPad and then I got my hands on the iPhone 5.......

• Reply 37 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Wonderful; now it's unusable.

I honestly have no idea if these posts from you are comical self-parody, or involve any type of seriousness. I like to believe it's the former so I can convince myself you have a modicum of sanity. But there's also a very good chance that I'm being too optimistic. 

• Reply 38 of 43

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I honestly have no idea if these posts from you are comical self-parody, or involve any type of seriousness. I like to believe it's the former so I can convince myself you have a modicum of sanity. But there's also a very good chance that I'm being too optimistic. 

Again, in the argument between having an area to actually hold the device and forcing developers to ignore arbitrary amounts of the screen, I'll stick with having an area to actually hold the device, thanks.

• Reply 39 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    The weight is what I've been waiting for: I liked my "new" iPad and then I got my hands on the iPhone 5.......

Going to the iPhone 5 from the 4 I could instantly tell it was thinner but I can't say I noticed the weight difference. However, when going back to the iPhone 4 (for development purposes) it's just amazing how much thicker and heavier it is.

Again, in the argument between having an area to actually hold the device and forcing developers to ignore arbitrary amounts of the screen, I'll stick with having an area to actually hold the device, thanks.

There are some factors to consider. The weight with the size affects how much pressure you need to hold to the device with one hand. With the iPad mini the size and weight are low enough that it's quite comfortable without having your thumb affecting the usability. I think it will be same will happen with this new iPad as I trust Apple to create multiple models to make sure the UX doesn't suffer.
  • Reply 40 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

I was hoping they would switch to a curved crt display and add a rs232 port. BUT, i'm sure they know what they are doing. This will probably be the model I finally break down and buy. I'm still using a PowerMac G5 and am torn between a new Mac or iPad. Leaning toward iPad since we only use the Mac for web browsing 99% of the time.

You're going to feel like someone handed you a product from the far distant future compared to your old G5. The only downside is you won't be able to sync your Mac to the iPad through the iCloud since the G5 is so old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post

I bought a 4th gen when it came out and couldn't be happier. I use it every day betweeen gaming, reading, and designing I can't get enough of it. I will be trading my 4th gen in for the 5 on day one image. I'm looking forward to the new one shedding some weight.

Yeah, shedding some weight and some width and some thickness. Who knows it might even spout a new main chip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

I notice the the side bezel is still wider than on the mini (judging by the home button size) which is probably good because you won't quite be able to hold the bigger iPad in the same way. More thumb room is needed.

My question is what is a "shallow rounded corner"?

I expect the narrower bezel will also mean it will have the accidental edge touch software of the mini.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mieswall View Post

front speakers, please...

I'll get right on drilling hundreds of little holes in the front glass.  /s