Foxconn sees 19% decline in sales after 'disappointing' demand for Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Tim Cook needs to reveal a bit of his "pipeline choke full of great products" to the world.

Your implication being that Apple has never gone this long without a product change before?

Otherwise we will end up the same like last year, when Apple launched 6 major products back to back in the span of a few months.

Your implication being that this is somehow "bad"?

• Reply 22 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Amazon stock is still rising fast.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tailpipe wrote: »
    What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets. You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch. I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii.

So your friends are idiots. The iPhone 5 is dramatically different than the iPhone 4S.

Regardless, you're just plain wrong. The iPhone 5 has outsold previous versions handily. So your 'undeniable fact' is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So your friends are idiots. The iPhone 5 is dramatically different than the iPhone 4S.

Regardless, you're just plain wrong. The iPhone 5 has outsold previous versions handily. So your 'undeniable fact' is just plain wrong.

1) I think the iPhone 5 is the large YoY change the iPhone has seen.

2) Up until the iPhone 4S Apple had stated that each new model had outsold every other previous model, combined. I expect that to hold for the 6th gen iPhone, too.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tailpipe wrote: »
    What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets. You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch. I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii.

I don't think the 5S can get away with being simply the same iPhone 5 design with a bump in specifications. There is genuine demand for an iPhone line-up that offers a range of screen sizes.

But the 5 isn't meant for 4S upgraders. It is for those people who are sick of Android, those who have dumb phones, and those who have older iPhones.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ralphdaily wrote: »
    Went to the Apple store yesterday and NOBODY was at the iPhone table. The phones were sitting there untouched.
    And how long were you at the store watching the iPhone tables? I went to the Apple store the day the ipad mini came out to buy it for my parents. I went early in the morning figuring there might be a line but the store was basically empty. Got in and out with a new mini in 10 minutes.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    zoffdino wrote: »
    Saw the same thing at my local store too. It has been more or less the case since the holiday. Everyone was either at the iPad tables, or the Mac section. Tim Cook needs to reveal a bit of his "pipeline choke full of great products" to the world. Otherwise we will end up the same like last year, when Apple launched 6 major products back to back in the span of a few months.
    If products aren't ready how can Apple reveal them? I doubt Apple has things ready to go that they're purposely holding back so they can cram them all in to the holiday quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

An earlier AI story regarding Ipad 5 screen production contains an interesting notation:

"The supposedly leaked pictures come on the heels of mounting rumors that Apple is preparing to begin production of the next-generation tablet this month ahead of a release in July or August. "

If I speculate with one data point.....

Apple accelerated Ipad5 production to next month and drew down inventories of other Ipad models in this Q  

Or Apple dismal sales for Ipad 4,  leads to accelerated rollout of Ipad 5 to stop the slide......

"Speculate amongst yourselves"    

As TC said: "it’s good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans. And I’d also stress that even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to accurately interpret the data point as to what it meant for our overall business, because the supply chain is very complex, and we obviously have multiple sources for things. Yields might vary, supplier performance can vary, the beginning inventory positions can vary, I mean there’s just an inordinately long list of things that would make any single data point not a great proxy for what’s going on"

• Reply 29 of 78
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"This shows that Hon Hai's revenue depends too much on Apple, and iPhone orders corrected more than expected," Kuo said.

The analyst doesn't even know what "corrected" means, so I don't expect much from the analysis. True, when the word is used in reference to securities markets, it typically denotes a decline, but it's a decline to where it should be, following a period of inflated prices.

I also disagree with the analyst's conclusions, given that we already know that it was outselling the 4S last time numbers were provided. This could be in part attributable to a faster international roll-out, but a 19% decline in sales that's entirely the result of slower iPhone sales would mean that iPhone sales were down more than 19%, since Foxconn does more than just assemble iPhones, and all public data so far shows that it has been selling very well.

• Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

The analyst doesn't even know what "corrected" means, so I don't expect much from the analysis. True, when the word is used in reference to securities markets, it typically denotes a decline, but it's a decline to where it should be, following a period of inflated prices.

I also disagree with the analyst's conclusions, given that we already know that it was outselling the 4S last time numbers were provided. This could be in part attributable to a faster international roll-out, but a 19% decline in sales that's entirely the result of slower iPhone sales would mean that iPhone sales were down more than 19%, since Foxconn does more than just assemble iPhones, and all public data so far shows that it has been selling very well.

All public data? To the best of my knowledge there isn't any data for the last quarter that is any less speculative than the above analysis.

Another 2 weeks and we'll know.

• Reply 31 of 78

It's because everyone wants choice OLEDs phablets. 

• Reply 32 of 78
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Great. I've been waiting for this. Now wait till AAPL drops I'll jump in right before the announcement.

• Reply 33 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

Went to the Apple store yesterday and NOBODY was at the iPhone table. The phones were sitting there untouched.

Which means precisely zero. What are you implying and why?

• Reply 34 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok so Foxconn didn't say this, some Wall Street analyst did. I thought Foxconn just manufactured for Apple. What are the sales exactly?

There are some 75 or so companies that use Foxconn.

Including Microsoft, Dell, Nintendo.

So perhaps the issue is that the Surface etc are the issue. Not the iPhone which is likely at its normal sales. Even the iPad is likely normal since sales always dropped in Jan-Feb cause folks believed new ones were coming any day.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I don't think the 5S can get away with being simply the same iPhone 5 design with a bump in specifications. There is genuine demand for an iPhone line-up that offers a range of screen sizes.

Why is it undeniable? Because you think so? Making such a statement requires at least some corroboration. You sound like the analysts who pull stuff out of thin air and publish it as fact. 

• Reply 36 of 78
    When I said that i would sell 20% of my Apple Stock at 460. Some people called me dumb.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    No I meant I thought that's all they did for Apple. So, sales of what exactly are down 18%?

What they produced.

It's a language thing. They track production as sales for accounting purposes.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    charlituna wrote: »
    There are some 75 or so companies that use Foxconn.

Including Microsoft, Dell, Nintendo.

So perhaps the issue is that the Surface etc are the issue. Not the iPhone which is likely at its normal sales. Even the iPad is likely normal since sales always dropped in Jan-Feb cause folks believed new ones were coming any day.
    Delete
  • Reply 39 of 78
    charlituna wrote: »
    What they produced.

It's a language thing. They track production as sales for accounting purposes.
    Ah, ok got it. Has Foxconn ever commented the cause of production being up or down? I'm assuming they can't say anything that would give too much of an insight into iPhone sales, considering they manufacture for more than just Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    ralphdaily wrote: »

That means nothing about actual sales. Folks in your area could be waiting for the official T-Mobile phones with the 3G chip turned on, which go on sale on Friday

Or it could just mean that folks were there to buy the phone but didn't need to try it first. Especially with the plague worthy amount of germs typically on those things