iMac Ethernet port does not work.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My brother has an iMac DV SE that he bought new. The computer has recently started crashing more, etc., and he has had to init. the hard drive twice in the past 6 or 8 months. Recently (a week ago) the problems got a lot worse. The Ethernet port does not work. He can't use the cable modem or the network we have set up. We tried my TiBook with the same cable, so we know it is the iMac that has the problem. We think it might be a logic board problem... any ideas on what to do? Hopefully there's a cheap fix... cause otherwise, we have to get another computer...

stjobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    Please help... <bump>

stjobs
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If it is a logic board problem, your screwed. Ship it away and have a Apple tech look at the problem. But make sure it is broken before you do that! Double check all your settings in appletalk and TCP/IP controls. Hook it up to a hub/switch/router to see if the lights blink. And try to create a simple network using a crossover cable. If the computer fails all these tests, it is broken, and you will need to get it replaced/repaired.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I have seen USB Ethernet Adapters but as far as I can tell don't work with Macs.

<a href="http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/3996.html"; target="_blank">See This</a>

Sounds like your problem.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    "If it is a logic board problem, your screwed. Ship it away and have a Apple tech look at the problem. But make sure it is broken before you do that! Double check all your settings in appletalk and TCP/IP controls. Hook it up to a hub/switch/router to see if the lights blink. And try to create a simple network using a crossover cable. If the computer fails all these tests, it is broken, and you will need to get it replaced/repaired."

Already tried the router and the crossover cable, no lights and the crossover does not work. I guess it will be replaced. Pointless to repair it now, it will be expensive.

Thanks,

stjobs