Google updates Chrome iOS app with wireless printing and fullscreen viewing, Search gets bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday released updated versions of Chrome and Google Search for iOS, bringing a new fullscreen view and the ability to print documents from the cloud to its Web browser, as well bug fixes for the dedicated search app.

chrome
Navigation bar (left) is hidden when scrolling (right) with Chrome's latest update.

Tuesday's update of the Chrome app for iOS lets users browse content in fullscreen mode, with scrolling gestures enabling the hiding and showing of the omnibox and toolbar. When users navigate down a webpage, the omnibox scrolls up until it is out of view, only returning when a "scroll up" gesture is performed. The feature is identical to Apple's Safari implementation and works in both portrait and landscape modes, granting a bit of extra viewing space for small-screened devices like the iPhone.

The new Chrome version also brings the ability to print web pages with Google Cloud Print or Apple's AirPrint, users can also save any page as a PDF to their Google Drive accounts. The 20.7MB download is compatible with iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads running iOS 5.0 or later.

google

Google also updated its Google Search app to version 2.5.2 on Tuesday. The new update brings general bug fixes to version 2.5.1, which brought improved voice capabilities that allow users to simply speak a query to get results without typing. The app can also relay answers back to the user via text-to-voice, though the functionality is limited to certain questions.

The free Google Search update comes in at 11.2MB and can be downloaded via the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I really feel Chrome is doing good than Safari. 

• Reply 2 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Hey Google, how about updating the fucking iPad gmail app so one can actually hide the inbox and view messages full screen, instead of the unreadable cluster **** it is now on the iPad mini? Or does such fundamental useability need to wait until version 17.2938.291?

• Reply 3 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I really feel Chrome is doing good than Safari. 

Why, because it implemented a feature that safari has had for ages?

• Reply 4 of 9
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'm completely failing to see why anyone would get a different browser for your iPhone. One of the 'selling points' is to have it all integrated, straight out of the box it all works [I]as Apple intended[/I]. Now, you might disagree with some things, but won't it be annoying to have URL's opened in Safari, requiring you to copy paste the URL into this app from Google?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm completely failing to see why anyone would get a different browser for your iPhone. One of the 'selling points' is to have it all integrated, straight out of the box it all works as Apple intended. Now, you might disagree with some things, but won't it be annoying to have URL's opened in Safari, requiring you to copy paste the URL into this app from Google?

If I'm not mistaken they're all just skins over Safari.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm completely failing to see why anyone would get a different browser for your iPhone. One of the 'selling points' is to have it all integrated, straight out of the box it all works as Apple intended. Now, you might disagree with some things, but won't it be annoying to have URL's opened in Safari, requiring you to copy paste the URL into this app from Google?

In that case, useless then.
  • Reply 7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No. it is just only because it is good.

• Reply 8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well said. They are.  That is why Google is tweaking WebKit.

• Reply 9 of 9
    chandra69 wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »

No. it is just only because it is good.

I'll take best over good, any day.