Component may show dual-head vibration motor for Apple's low-cost iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new image that could be the first physical evidence of Apple's low-cost iPhone has surfaced, showing a ribbon cable with a dual-head vibration motor, as well as other components.

Motor
A dual-head vibration motor claimed to be from an unreleased iPhone, potentially a new low-cost model.

The component allegedly from an unreleased iPhone model was obtained by iLab Factory and highlighted on Thursday by Macotakara. It was suggested that the dual-head vibration design could be an indication that it's a part from a low-cost iPhone rather than the company's anticipated flagship "iPhone 5S."

In contrast, iFixit found its its teardown of the iPhone 5 last year that Apple had utilized a single-head rotational vibration motor with a counterweight. It was noted that Apple had changed the motor from the iPhone 4S, in which the company instead opted to use a quieter linear oscillating vibrator.

Exactly why Macotakara believes a dual-head vibration motor might be a cheaper than a single-head design is unclear. Because the dual-head motor may take up more space, it's possible that the larger component could fit into a thicker, less expensive iPhone model.

However, the component looks nearly identical to one that was pictured last month. That image also showed the dual-head design as part of a flex cable, but was at the time believed to be a component from Apple's so-called "iPhone 5S."

Motor
The current single-head vibration motor in the iPhone 5, as discovered by iFixit.

At the time, the vibrational motor was pictured with another purported "iPhone 5S" component that claimed to show the underpinnings of the unannounced device's home button. The home button components featured serial numbers similar to those found on the iPhone 5, adding a degree of plausibility to their potential authenticity.

Rumors have suggested that in addition to a full-fledged next-generation iPhone, Apple is also planning to introduce a low-cost model later this year that would allow the company to address the low- to mid-end smartphone market. It's been claimed that this low-end iPhone could cut costs with a plastic casing and slightly thicker design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Low cost and larger model?

Or simply a second design with different features? I trust and hope Apple will offer its customers functional choices rather than size and cost.

p.s. First in! Damn, tallest must be sleepiest this morning.

• Reply 2 of 8
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Or simply a second design with different features? I trust and hope Apple will offer its customers functional choices rather than size and cost.

p.s. First in! Damn, tallest must be sleepiest this morning.

Different functions would not help.  In fact, it is cheap idea.  It should be same functional (but performance wise, they can be different).  Also, price change should be there - obviously.

• Reply 3 of 8
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I would not expect significant functional differences. Apple wants all of its products to work the same way and will fight tooth and nail to resist fragmentation of the OS.

Different sizes, colors, construction would be OK. Adding new features to a low cost phone would not. It is, however, possible that they'd leave some features off on the low cost phone. Even then, I wouldn't expect significant features to be left off-just minor ones. For example, I couldn't imagine them leaving off the front-facing camera as it is integral to FaceTime.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It's curious that folks keep pushing this notion of this or that is for the 'cheap' phone after Phil publicly took a dump on the idea of Apple designing an iPhone whose defining feature is a vastly lower price
  • Reply 5 of 8
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

I think I'm the only one that thinks a cheaper iPhone will have a smaller screen. 

I could see a potential iPhone Mini with a 3.5 inch screen priced in the low $300s.

All the while the iPhone Classic will have a 4 inch screen ($649) and the iPhone Plus can have a 5 inch screen ($699).

• Reply 6 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I think I'm the only one that thinks a cheaper iPhone will have a smaller screen. 

I could see a potential iPhone Mini with a 3.5 inch screen priced in the low $300s.

All the while the iPhone Classic will have a 4 inch screen ($649) and the iPhone Plus can have a 5 inch screen ($699).

How much for a 6.3"?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Sencer.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I hope the motor in the 5S is much better than my 4 motor. I had to replace mine in the 4 and it is still spotty, working sometimes and not others. I rely heavily on the motor as my job requires it on silence/vibrate