Thunderbolt Design Change

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Does anyone know if the Thunderbolt display is going to change to match the Imac design's/  The I mac's is more sleek and just cooler looking.  I am in the market for a couple display's and I dont wnat to buy them only to be out dated in six months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Thunderbolt is not tied to an individual computer model.

• Reply 2 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Thunderbolt is not tied to an individual computer model.

Thunderbolt Display. The display Apple sells.

I figure it will change soon enough, but the existing design has a pretty glaring flaw in it already. I really don't know how the iMac can even WORK, since Apple's displays get hot enough to BURN THE LCD PANEL and damage it.

The darn thing is inches thick and this still happens, so imagine how terrible it will be with the new iMac's design. 

But anyway, I figure it would happen at the next relevant time for a display update. Whether that be receiving a retina 27" panel or otherwise.

Originally Posted by jpiergavnat View Post

…I don't want to buy them only to be out dated in six months.

A display is a display. I've never heard of anyone complaining about display outdatedness. Well, besides me, but I was a complete idiot. image

The new model won't have anything new on it except the case thickness. And quite frankly, I'd trust a larger case known to cause problems rather than a case that has changed in a way that can only make the problems WORSE. But that's me.

• Reply 3 of 5

Hi,

Is it likely that Apple will come out with a monitor using same design as the new and thinner iMac?

• Reply 4 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Merged it with the other most recent thread about this.

I'd say it's as certain as anything can be said about Apple that we'll see a redesigned Thunderbolt Display to match the iMac. They've been redesigning displays to match computers since before Jobs' return, even.

• Reply 5 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Merged it with the other most recent thread about this.

I'd say it's as certain as anything can be said about Apple that we'll see a redesigned Thunderbolt Display to match the iMac. They've been redesigning displays to match computers since before Jobs' return, even.

Usually they aren't in a rush though. Frankly they could have a new design ready to go but might be waiting for display manufacturing to catch up. Once the new iMacs are no longer on back order for a month or two Apple might get serious about a release.

Beyond the screen though I suspect that they have other goals to meet. For one USB3. I wouldn't be surprised if they might have a SoC destined for the monitor too.