Broader Apple-Yahoo partnership viewed as logical step for both to fight Google

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Lies, all lies. Anyone who says iOS makes more money, has more ad impressions, or has higher Internet usage when they have lower overall market share is lying. Maybe they should go back to grade school to learn that 70%>30%.

Zzzzzzzz

• Reply 22 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Zzzzzzzz

Why would you call up nightmarez of thoze userz? 

• Reply 23 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Wasn't Apple working with Yahoo back in the day?  I seem to remember an Apple home page that was populated with Yahoo content.  Before that I believe my home page was powered by Excite.

Jerry Yang came on stage when iPhone was first introduced. Yahoo's contribution was meager then - IMAP email. Yahoo Search was also built in as an alternative. Yang said at the time, "I hope we will provide more services for the iPhone in the future." Finally, it's happening. I think we can give credit to Marissa Mayer for that. I'm most excited about the sports part. It's not just about scores. The Yahoo Fantasy Sports API and Yahoo Sports RSS Feed are both data sources. Love to see how Apple and Yahoo might present a great experience to sports fans. I am hoping someone at Apple is enough of a sports junkie to make this happen (hello Phil Schiller).

• Reply 24 of 40
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    ITS ALL ABOUT Siri.......

It seems like the recent purchase of Summly ( 30 mill. to a company owned by a 17 year old h.s kid ) was all about the underlining tech. The tech was develop by SRI, the company behind Siri and has a similar tech. It is even being called "Yahoo's Siri". I think this is apple's and yahoo's way to get at google.
    I like the direction apple is going with this .

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-marissa-mayer-bought-a-30m-startup-2013-4
  • Reply 25 of 40
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The implication is that Yahoo! has become "neutral ground" between Apple and Google's endeavors. Switzerland has historically remained neutral in European conflict for centuries, and such has served as a respite from war for a similar amount of time.

Not sure how valuable a respite Yahoo! is supposed to be, but that's not the consideration of the phrase. image

Especially in profiteering from Nazi Germany's behavior, and financial crises. Swiss not exactly a "pleasant" example, and Yahoo! should find inspiration elsewhere, imho.

Also, isn't Yahoo! a "friendly" company to Google, due to Marissa Mayer?

• Reply 26 of 40
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

^ Got it. I should dumb down my posts for people who don't get the obvious. image

I don't know if it's possible to dumb it down enough without just getting rid reading altogether and replacing it with pictures on flashcards.

• Reply 27 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you claiming Google did that, or just throwing in some words to hope others read it that way?

It's pretty much a proven fact that Google built everything they now have in mobile by copying what others were doing or had invented in multiple other companies and then changing it just a little bit.  

The characterisation of this copying as "stealing" is semantics, and the word is only in question because the lawsuits are still ongoing.  

The only real legal question left is whether Google is going to get away with this copying/stealing, or whether they will instead suffer some sort of minimal penalty as a result.  However if they don't get punished or sent to jail, it doesn't necessarily mean that what they are doing and have done is not "stealing" or wrong, just that managed to win the lawsuits.  

• Reply 28 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Especially in profiteering from Nazi Germany's behavior, and financial crises. Swiss not exactly a "pleasant" example, and Yahoo! should find inspiration elsewhere, imho.

Companies and individuals in many countries profited rather handsomely through dealings with Nazi Germany including companies and individuals in the USA and Great Britain.  George Bush's grandfather made a ton of money off the Nazis for example, so singling out Switzerland is a bit unfair.  

Most of the leaders and leading institutions of all the Allied powers countries were also heavily anti-Semitic and collaborated in suppressing the Jews in Europe, but you don't hear much about that either.  

People would rather believe that the Nazis were "monsters" and that their rise was an aberration that was valiantly fought back by the "good guys" who had nothing to do with it themselves (even though nothing could be further from the truth).  The Nazis were actually regular normal people like you and me and their opinions and world-view were really only a hairsbreadth to the right of common opinion in Europe at the time on both the war in general and Jews in particular.  

• Reply 29 of 40
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see far more benefit in an Apple buyout of Yahoo! for the latter than the former… 

That's code for "bump the stock up and make a hundred thousand before it collapses".

Cornflakes on a stick, man; use ¡, /s, or quotes! image

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Maybe this alleged partnership can make Yahoo relevant again.

well, judging by all the Tech Bloggers who's opinions I actually trust...Apple's Achillies heel has always been relying on 3rd parties for internet services, like search, maps, etc...and is talent deficient in it's own company due to the fact that Google, Facebook, Twitter has pretty much gobbled up all that talent.  Apple has always had a strong connection to Yahoo with it's services for the Weather app to name one.  Yahoo buying Summly and SRI (a company that once funded Siri)...this might be the right time to talk buy-out to absorb some talent in internet based Services.

The only real problem I see with that goes back to an episode of the Accidental Tech Podcast (or was it the Talk Show) where they were talking about Yahoo's current lack of talent now that they are kind of number 3 in the search giant arena.  But, Yahoo has a lot of ownership in services that could be of great help to Apple.  Too bad their mapping services are pretty lame.

My thought, buy Yahoo and absorb the talent...Marissa Mayer would be a great fit at Apple as the Chief VP of Internet Services division (not that she really wants a demotion of rank) and Apple Starts it's own Search Engine based on Yahoo's decade-long work.

• Reply 30 of 40
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Arguably, the best move is for Apple to take a stake in Yahoo!

I suspect that Apple and Yahoo! have considerable overlapping demographics. In which case, the acquisition of Yahoo! may not be fiscally responsible.

An investment by Apple would further infuse Yahoo! with resources to improve services.

problem is, Apple doesn't need another strong 3rd party partnership for internet services.  Their existing Ecosystem is too big and too integrated with the platform and their internet services are far too weak to support another 3rd party solution.  They need and army of in-house talent working on Maps, Search, iCloud, and they needed it years ago.  They're relied for too long on 3rd parties to help make the platform more vibrant and rich.  Problem is, those 3rd parties are realizing they could do their own ecosystems without the help of Apple...and are not competitors.  Yahoo is one of the few valuable companies left that could be a huge asset to Apple's lack of talent in the Internet services arena.

• Reply 31 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The Nazis were actually regular normal people like you and me and their opinions and world-view were really only a hairsbreadth to the right of common opinion in Europe at the time on both the war in general and Jews in particular.  

I thought the Nazi opinions and worldview went well beyond Jews?

• Reply 32 of 40
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    What the h*ll is Apple waiting to buy Yahoo! ?

Apple's webservices aren't good enough, and instead of building an all new infrastructure they should save money and precious time by buying Yahoo!

It's a no-brainer....
  • Reply 33 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The problem is that this fails to recognize Google's role as "Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds."

That's just a myth some want to perpetuate. But continue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Google's revenue is from advertising not search. Search is a feature, a function, which generates no revenue of itself. As a result, Google is motivated to develop new markets and monetize said markets with advertising. Expanding the advertising business into non-traditional markets is an interesting and perhaps even admirable goal but stealing the works of others to do so is not.

This is the same as saying Apple's revenue is from selling iPhones and not from designing them or from technology development.

• Reply 34 of 40

Quote:

It's pretty much a proven fact that Google built everything they now have in mobile by copying what others were doing or had invented in multiple other companies and then changing it just a little bit.  

If you truly believe this, you are delusional.

If you don't truly believe this, you are the ultimate troll here because you're trying so hard to incite others.

Either way, get a life.

• Reply 35 of 40

Quote:

^ Got it. I should dumb down my posts for people who don't get the obvious. image

"dumb down" LOL

How much dumber can your posts get? LOLz

Sorry, it was too hard to resist.

• Reply 36 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Quote:

Companies and individuals in many countries profited rather handsomely through dealings with Nazi Germany including companies and individuals in the USA and Great Britain.  George Bush's grandfather made a ton of money off the Nazis for example, so singling out Switzerland is a bit unfair.  

Most of the leaders and leading institutions of all the Allied powers countries were also heavily anti-Semitic and collaborated in suppressing the Jews in Europe, but you don't hear much about that either.  

People would rather believe that the Nazis were "monsters" and that their rise was an aberration that was valiantly fought back by the "good guys" who had nothing to do with it themselves (even though nothing could be further from the truth).  The Nazis were actually regular normal people like you and me and their opinions and world-view were really only a hairsbreadth to the right of common opinion in Europe at the time on both the war in general and Jews in particular.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought the Nazi opinions and worldview went well beyond Jews?

Last time Godwin's law was demonstrated here, the thread was sanitized. Is it going to happen again?

• Reply 37 of 40
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Last time Godwin's law was demonstrated here, the thread was sanitized. Is it going to happen again?

It hasn't been triggered yet. They wrote "Nazi," not "Hit...

Whoa, that was close!

• Reply 38 of 40
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

What is the meaning of this sentence?  

They were neutral during World War 2, they did not side with the nazis or the allies.

• Reply 39 of 40
    Agree, Apple ought put Yahoo out of his misery and just buy it. That seems about the only way to fix the portal, which continues to suffer under the ages-old issue of porous security, among other things. Seemingly anyone in Eastern Europe with access to a keyboard has, at one time or another, passed the time by hacking Yahoo accounts. It would be ironic, since Apple had one of the best portals at the time right under its icon but didn't know what to do with: eWorld.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    I'm all in favor of more competition against Google. They're a beast, in love with big government, and holding far too much data.