"Access Denied" Message

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My friend has a problem with his iBook:

i'm getting that stupid access denied message again..do u have any idea how to fix it

it says access denied when trying to write to write to your systems "library" file

i'm trying to install g-force plug-in for itunes

THANKS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Whoa! No, no, no, no! :o

*NEVER* try to put something in the /System/Library folder. That is strictly for "System" files and is off-limits by the permissions for that very reason. The end user should never tinker with its contents unless he or she is specifically trying to "hack" something in it.

Here's how the Library folders work:

/System/Library -- No one should touch this. Only system files are stored within.

/Library - Only admin users should be able to touch this. Things stored here are available globally on the computer. Only the admin user should modify this because what's done here will affect all users (like adding a plugin for an app will allow all users to use it).

~/Library (your home folder's Library) - each users can access only his or her own home Library folder. Things specific to that user (like application preferences or plugins that only this specific user should use) are stored here.

Your friend probably wants to put that iTunes plugin in his home Library folder.

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks, Brad. He's a switcher so your swift feedback means a lot!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the thing is when i click to install it...it says select the music app. u'll be using with it

well i dont know

its says either admin or write previlages are required

is there a way to tell a program where to install...it doesnt give me any type of option
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Hmm. That's strange. I'll find that plugin, download it, and see if I get the same message.

I'll report back with my observations...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Some programs do require adminstrative privleges to install,especially those that hook into low level processes,but it is strange that a plugin would require administrative privleges,usually only programming tools or something of that nature would need passwords.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what did ya find out, Brad ?