USB Printer Sharing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How is it done? and can it be done over Appletalk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    come on ppl... i know its a dumb question but i wanna be able to print from my iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Here's how to do it:

Make sure all the machines on your network have Jaguar installed.

Make sure AppleTalk is enabled on all your machines.

On whatever computer which is connected to the printer, go to the Sharing Preference Pane and check "Printer Sharing."

Now when you when you pull up a print dialogue box, you should be able to select your shared printer from the pull down printer list.

Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    the only thing is: I run OS X and no one else on the network does.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Plus im running OS X 10.1, The others run 9.2.1 and 9.2.2
  • Reply 5 of 15
    You should be able to do it no problem sharing printers is easy. When I had my wintel workgroup of 2 towers and my Xp Laptop I used to do that all the time and I had XP on 2 and 98 on one. Play around with it.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    USB printer sharing works on 9 and it works on X, but I'm not sure if it works BETWEEN 9 and X.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Why would you want to networka printer via USB any way buy a hub or switch and plug those computers in over ethernet and set it up that way.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I got it working under Mac OS 9 but under 10 i have no idea how to configure it. Im running 10.1.5.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    What about wireless printer sharing?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Whoops, missed this one. Ask for help in the Genius Bar please. Moving there now...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm afraid that USB Printer Sharing is not available in Mac OS X 10.1.5.

I'm fairly sure you need Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar to share printers, especially with PCs since SMB is much more functional on a Windows Network.

I'll try it out with a Mac OS 9.2.1 machine but don't think that it's backwards compatible.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Fran, Under Mac OS 9 it **is** possible to USB printer share. Under 10.1.5 it isnt. Thanx
  • Reply 13 of 15
    USB printer sharing works under OS 9.

USB printer sharing does not work under OS X 10.1.x

USB printer sharing does work under Classic under OS X 10.1.x.

USB printer sharing does work under OS X 10.2.

I haven't tried it but I doubt that USB printer sharing works between OS 9 and OS X 10.2 though perhaps the same machine could act as a USB server simultaneously with both Classic and OS X 10.2.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    someone has a setup to test that ?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    How do you setup USB Printer Sharing from one computer running OS 9.2 to another running Jaguar?