Facebook Home for Android developed with Apple's Quartz Composer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    There seems to be a bit of confusion here. They created a visual demo using QC so the developer knew what was wanted. The actual app was not written on QC.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    evilution wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of confusion here. They created a visual demo using QC so the developer knew what was wanted. The actual app was not written on QC.

How could it? It only runs on Android, right?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Excellent post, thanks. We could add to that "the whole internet was designed on NeXT, the precursor of the Mac link

Isn't it more like HTTP was first designed on a NeXT? Because there's a lot more to the Internet than HTTP.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Nevermind my previous message. I somehow thought that some people didn't wan't QC to run on iOS because it would allow some cheap crappy apps to be published. (QC projects only run on Macs right now and not on iOS)

• Reply 25 of 33
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

"During 2011, Jobs was rumored to have threatened intellectual property claims against Push Pop, related to the idea that Matas and his confounding partner Kimon Tsinteris had both developed patent claims they assigned to Apple as employees."

"Confounding" partner? Talk about a Freudian slip. And how does Tsinteris feel about Matas?

• Reply 26 of 33
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Isn't it more like HTTP was first designed on a NeXT? Because there's a lot more to the Internet than HTTP.

Indeed, 'the internet' spans a whole lot of tech, and Tim Berners Lee is simply being remembered as the one who invented 'the WWW', based on Apple's HyperCard. From Wiki: "he implemented the first successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) client and server via the Internet"
  • Reply 27 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I know it's evil of me but I wish there was a way anything created using this tool refused to operate on anything not made by Apple.

It's javascript not some proprietary programming language like Xcode. Interestingly, it is surprisingly easy to import a QC project directly into Xcode so Facebook could build something for iOS very quickly. That said, it would have to pass the scrutiny of the Apple review committee and I doubt it would be approved in its present form as it clearly duplicates core functionality with its launcher home screen.

• Reply 28 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

(QC projects only run on Macs right now and not on iOS)

Not so sure about that. QC projects can run in a browser on the web and look very similar to a native app on iPhone, plus a QC can be imported into Xcode in less than a minute and compiled as an iOS app.

• Reply 29 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, 'the internet' spans a whole lot of tech, and Tim Berners Lee is simply being remembered as the one who invented 'the WWW', based on Apple's HyperCard. From Wiki: "he implemented the first successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) client and server via the Internet"

What does Apple's HyperCard have to do with WWW?

• Reply 30 of 33
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I hope Apple locks down Xcode / Composer to only work on OSX devices.  I know it's crass and in bad taste but the thought of elegant Apple-designed interfaces being used to put lipstick on a pig is just disgusting.

Hey this isn't just any old Android app!!!  It was designed in OSX!!!  *rolls eyes*

XCode does only work on OSX devices...  

The reason is can compile apps that work on other platforms is because it uses the open-source compilers GCC, LLVM and Clang.  

And what other tools are Android developers going to use?  Windows?  The only 2 decent options are Linux or OSX, so that's what most Android devs use... (Google uses alot of Linux boxes, Facebook apparently likes OSX)

• Reply 31 of 33
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not so sure about that. QC projects can run in a browser on the web and look very similar to a native app on iPhone, plus a QC can be imported into Xcode in less than a minute and compiled as an iOS app.

That's simply not true. iOS doesn't contain the Quartz Composer framework. QTZ files can be open in Safari through the Quicktime plug-in, but it relies on the old QT7 APIs which never existed in iOS.

• Reply 32 of 33
    mstone wrote: »
    What does Apple's HyperCard have to do with WWW?

'Everything!' The design of the www was not just inspired by it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermedia
  • Reply 33 of 33
    ^ pic of NeXT cube

Man, would I love to have a working one of these.

How about one of these, uploaded just yesterday to Wikipedia. From 1986, $135,000 Memory 100MB, 32bit:

Also available in large