Apple board member Bill Campbell expects high-tech 'intimate' device era, hints at 'iWatch'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a talk at Intuit's headquarters on Friday, company chairman and Apple board member Bill Campbell aired his thoughts on the intersection of technology and "intimate" objects, which he expects will yield a new era of personal electronics.

Bill Campbell
Intuit chairman and Apple board member Bill Campbell.
Source: The Batch Foundation


Campbell spoke with Intuit CEO Brad Smith at the firm's Mountain View headquarters, with the wide-ranging discussion moving from product design to behind-the-scenes management techniques, reports Bloomberg Businessweek.

During the conversation, Campbell offered some insight into the future of personal tech, including the effect technology will have on devices he referred to as "intimate."

Specifically, he told those in attendance to expect to see ?a lot of things going on with the application of technology to really intimate things.? Campbell gave the example of Google Glass, the search giant's wearable computing device that takes the form of a head-mounted display. He called the system a "phenomenal breakthrough."

?When you start to think about glasses or watches, they become as intimate as the cell phone was,? Campbell said.

Apple is rumored to be readying a so-called "smart watch" that will connect with iOS devices, possibly offering a secondary display and control unit for products like the iPhone. AppleInsider discovered a patent filing in February suggesting the company was indeed researching such a device, though concrete evidence showing that the much-rumored product even exists has yet to materialize.

Continuous Display
Illustration from an Apple patent describing a wrist-worn display. | Source: USPTO


Campbell also touched on Nest, the company founded by iPod godfather Tony Fadell that makes the advanced internet-connected Nest Learning Thermostat, saying he was surprised at the firm's success.

Finally, the Apple board member gave some advice to product managers, who Campbell said should model themselves as "editors" and work closely with engineers to see a project through to fruition. He pointed to late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, with whom he was a close friend, and cofounder of Twitter and current Square CEO Jack Dorsey as being two examples of effective leaders.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 55
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This should probably be filed under: "Guy says a lot of obvious things that many other people have also been saying lately, adds nothing new, but … gets a headline because he's on the BoD at Apple."
  • Reply 2 of 55


    I can't believe this jack*ass is still allowed to be on Apple's board. What kind of qualifications are needed for that? Putting out the worst software in the world? Man, he should be kicked out on his *ss yesterday.

  • Reply 3 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member
    This guy's company has [B][I]the[/I][/B] absolute worst track record when it comes to Mac support, and it is an absolute embarrassment that he is still on Apple's board.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    john.b wrote: »
    This guy's company has the absolute worst track record when it comes to Mac support, and it is an absolute embarrassment that he is still on Apple's board.

    I agree. Intuit's Mac software (and lack thereof) has been an embarrassment for decades.
    In a talk at Intuit's headquarters on Friday, company chairman and Apple board member Bill Campbell aired his thoughts on the intersection of technology and "intimate" objects, which he expects will yield a new era of personal electronics..

    I guess it's the long-awaited sex-bot.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



    I guess it's the long-awaited sex-bot.


     


    FINALLY. I can't believe how far behind they are on this project.

  • Reply 6 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    Tech and "intimate" objects= iCondom.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,680member


    Why is an Apple board member praising Google Glass and calling it a "phenomenal breakthrough."?


     


    It seems to be a phenomenal breakthrough in privacy invasion, and even if this Apple board member was personally impressed by those glasses for whatever reason, then it would be better if he just kept it to himself. 


     


     


  • Reply 8 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member


    With all their experience shaving 1 or 2mm from a design, hopefully Apple will be even more dominant in this brave new world of tiny devices than they currently are. Meanwhile Samsung is making mega-sized phones, from which they will not learn and perfect the techniques of making the very small.

  • Reply 9 of 55
    Apple's board needs a serious revamp. Many of them seem well past their sell-by date. Gore? The Avon lady? This guy who's involved with a software company whose stuff sucks on the Mac? Head of an aging clothing company? A missile peddler?

    I don't know that it can happen any time soon, though. They tend to be a self-perpetuating lot, and last a long time. Look at HP (until the past couple of days).
  • Reply 10 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Why is an Apple board member praising Google Glass and calling it a "phenomenal breakthrough."?


     


    It seems to be a phenomenal breakthrough in privacy invasion, and even if this Apple board member was personally impressed by those glasses for whatever reason, then it would be better if he just kept it to himself. 


     


     



    Him praising Google Glasses gives Google a great Quote to use in the promotion of that Google Product… It'll be like - See how our Friends/Competitors at Apple feel about our products… 


     


    Google not having a Phone Support is a deal breaker for me!


    Apple should exploit their Support Advantage over Google in general!


     


    Why is that Theme not Drilled Into People's Heads via Commercial etc??? It's all true, a powerful valid point! And while at it, Apple should expose the weaknesses in Samsung and other competitors' Support!


     


    SOMEBODY! PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO APPLE!!!!!


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brianM2 View Post


    I can't believe this jack*ass is still allowed to be on Apple's board. What kind of qualifications are needed for that? Putting out the worst software in the world? Man, he should be kicked out on his *ss yesterday.



    Yep, I've see a lot of complaints about Quicken in Mac community! How could this guy be on Apple's Board of Directors, while his own company, Intuit is Not Into Apple:)! Intuit seems to disrespect Mac customers, treating them like second class. 


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by John.B View Post



    This guy's company has the absolute worst track record when it comes to Mac support, and it is an absolute embarrassment that he is still on Apple's board.


    Exactly!!! Why has this Intuit Snobbing of Mac Community gain more traction in Media, at Apple etc! But then, Apple can say - hey, if you guys don't like it, use iBank or other alternatives to Quicken! 

  • Reply 11 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Tech and "intimate" objects= iCondom.


     


    Yeah, that wristband thingy isn't supposed to go around the wrist image

  • Reply 12 of 55
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Having people in tech on Apple's board hasn't worked out so well, remember Eric Schmidt?

    The board is really for looks, they approve mundane day to day crap, not specific products, they're an expensive rubber stamp.

  • Reply 13 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,154member


    For those bitching about Apple's board members, who cares? Not like these people are included in day to day decisions or product strategy at Apple, they're just there for show or for various other political reasons. They have no management roles and their influence is minimal to non-existent. They don't make product decisions, so I wouldn't worry about it. Its more for investors and shareholders.

  • Reply 14 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    For those bitching about Apple's board members, who cares? Not like these people are included in day to day decisions or product strategy at Apple, they're just there for show or for various other political reasons. They have no management roles and their influence is minimal to non-existent. They don't make product decisions, so I wouldn't worry about it. Its more for investors and shareholders.



    Well, they can fire the CEO...

  • Reply 15 of 55
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    A joke, yes? From a company who hasn't produced a single version of Quicken for MAC anywhere near as good as the Windows version. I know, I've tried each and every one of the MAC versions and immediately went back to Windows. And this guy's on Apple's board? I don't get this at all.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member


    So many stories about how Bill Campbell guided Steve Jobs and was a calming influence. Now, it sounds like Jobs also exerted influence on "the Coach" - he kept the man quiet about Apple products.


     


    To those wondering about and frustrated by Campbell's praising of Google Glass - it means nothing. Campbell has a business background and knows next to nothing about technology beyond rubbing shoulders with engineers. He might have been a good manager, but that's all he was.

  • Reply 17 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

    Well, they can fire the CEO...


     


    Wait, if Steve hired and fired the board, how can they still hire and fire him?

  • Reply 18 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,292member
    dbtinc wrote: »
    A joke, yes? From a company who hasn't produced a single version of Quicken for MAC anywhere near as good as the Windows version. I know, I've tried each and every one of the MAC versions and immediately went back to Windows. And this guy's on Apple's board? I don't get this at all.

    It should be a question at a shareholders meeting. I agree it is ludicrous that he hasn't been told to get is company 100% Mac (as in on par with Windows version or better) or leave the board. Heck it should very powerful, be able to use iCloud and be fully integrated on all Apple devices.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,698member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macologist View Post


    Him praising Google Glasses gives Google a great Quote to use in the promotion of that Google Product… It'll be like - See how our Friends/Competitors at Apple feel about our products… 



    Big deal. . . Eric Schmidt prefers to use a Blackberry and doesn't make any attempt to hide it. Sergey Brin will tell anyone who asks that his favorite computer and the one he personally uses is a Mac.  It's not as tho Google Glass competes with a similar Apple product.

  • Reply 20 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Big deal. . . Eric Schmidt prefers to use a Blackberry and doesn't make any attempt to hide it. Sergey Brin will tell anyone who asks that his favorite computer and the one he personally uses is a Mac.  It's not as tho Google Glass competes with a similar Apple product.

    That''s not quite the same since Google isn't a heavy HW vendor. With Google Glass things are different as it's the only option in that class. If he speaks up and says that Google Glass is a great idea but he doesn't like using one I'll then concede to your point, but I'm guessing he won't ever say that.
Sign In or Register to comment.