Apple II Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was at an auction last week and I bought a couple Apple IIe's (I know they are literally worthless, but I still wanted them). Anyways, I have the 2 computers, 1 monitor to share, and about 20 5 1/4 floppy drives (had to buy the lot). I plug it in and it turns on and says Apple IIe. The problem is that I have no software for it. So I have a few Questions:

Do I NEED system software? I mean, If I buy a game or something, do I need an OS to run it, or can I just put the game disk in and play?

If I do need an OS, where can I get one? I can't really download it since I have no way to get it onto a 5 1/4. Where can I buy it?

Where can I buy software, and can you suggest some good titles for a 20 year old computer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I was at an auction last week and I bought a couple Apple IIe's (I know they are literally worthless, but I still wanted them). Anyways, I have the 2 computers, 1 monitor to share, and about 20 5 1/4 floppy drives (had to buy the lot). I plug it in and it turns on and says Apple IIe. The problem is that I have no software for it. So I have a few Questions:

Do I NEED system software? I mean, If I buy a game or something, do I need an OS to run it, or can I just put the game disk in and play?

If I do need an OS, where can I get one? I can't really download it since I have no way to get it onto a 5 1/4. Where can I buy it?

Where can I buy software, and can you suggest some good titles for a 20 year old computer?

Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you have a properly formatted disc it will boot all on its own. So, any store bought title (I'm not even going to ask how you would find one) or any formatted disc should work just fine. If you have a blank disc, you first need to boot to a properly formatted disc and then FORMAT the blank one.

Once you do that you can boot directly into your own blinking cursor!!!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    look here: <a href="http://www.google.ch/search?hl=de&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Apple+II+software&btnG=Google-Suche&meta="; target="_blank">A quick search on google... </a>