Microsoft rumored to be working on touch-enabled 'smart watch' designs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Please. This is a rumor site, i know. But there is limit for nonsense.

No?

• Reply 22 of 60
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Yea matey, many have posted in other threads about the same.

I think the idea of a smart watch is a dog.

But, I could be surprised. If any company can make this work it will be Apple.

I like the leaked tech theory.

I don't find the idea appealing either, but I'll withhold any predictions until there's an actual product to praise or criticize.

• Reply 23 of 60
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    Yea and there's a tiny, tiny keyboard that attaches to the side of the watch.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The Sacamsung model will of couse be six inches in diameter.
  • Reply 25 of 60

-or buy a decent Seiko

• Reply 26 of 60
    The problem with a "smart" watch from any company is that a watch is a piece of jewelry. It's fashion that goes far beyond what iPhone users show when holding their phones. Asking someone to wear something that will be the exact same thing 100 million other people have is going to be a tough sell, in my opinion.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    The problem with a "smart" watch from any company is that a watch is a piece of jewelry. It's fashion that goes far beyond what iPhone users show when holding their phones. Asking someone to wear something that will be the exact same thing 100 million other people have is going to be a tough sell, in my opinion.

That's why there are a zillion iPhone cases out there.

Perhaps we'll go back to something like this to dress up your iWatch...

You know... an accessory for your accessory ;)

• Reply 28 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I agree with mazda 3s, it will be wonderful to find out that Apple has no watch in mind at all, and rather that they've been leaking out disinformation, while re-inventing something totally different. And I don't mean TV. I mean, maybe a novel type of non-gasoline engine for automobiles (maybe enven an entire automobile company to market the engine), or a re-invented Segway-style personal transportation device, or a new kind of espresso machine, or a 3-D printer, or a new form of exercise/workout device, or a new line of ergonomic footwear, or something medical-related, such as artificial heart or kidney, or a new type of dialysis device. Apple Inc has a lot of talent, and I'm sure they've got lots of ideas that we can't anticipate. Meanwhile, if they can occupy Samsung and MS with the idea of a timepeice, to keep them busy.... brilliant!
    WTF ???
  • Reply 29 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Technology has come a long way since 2004-08, they should be able to do something way better now.

• Reply 30 of 60

I guess Microsoft wont be sitting back waiting to see what happens. You can say Apple will make a smart glove and every company will have a smart glove in development. Gone are the good old days of CEOs saying crap like this

• Reply 31 of 60

Is this the Motorola Q phone for $99 Balmer was talking about? "It do music, do internet, do email, and do instant messaging". LOL he loves their strategy

• Reply 32 of 60
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Hell, I went to a seance last night and my dead mama said she was working on a smart watch too. Damn mama! Rest in peace girl!

• Reply 33 of 60
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

things have really picked up MS. well done

at least they are not waiting 3-4 years now to announce they are copying the others.

keep her lit, Balmer

• Reply 34 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Samsung's first watch will look exactly like the Blackberry watch. Then they will switch to a look that copies the Apple watch exactly, using Google's gWatch software. GWatch will violate every Apple patent. Steve Ballmer will laugh and do nothing for 6 years then release Windows 10 that uses an all new watch user interface. Nobody will buy it.
  • Reply 35 of 60

Have not worn a watch for 15 years, and a few years ago my family got me the coolest watch, but still don't wear it very much, my iPhone has replaced this for me. So will be very surprised if there is that much of a market for this.

• Reply 36 of 60
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I agree with mazda 3s, it will be wonderful to find out that Apple has no watch in mind at all, and rather that they've been leaking out disinformation, while re-inventing something totally different. And I don't mean TV. I mean, maybe a novel type of non-gasoline engine for automobiles (maybe enven an entire automobile company to market the engine), or a re-invented Segway-style personal transportation device, or a new kind of espresso machine, or a 3-D printer, or a new form of exercise/workout device, or a new line of ergonomic footwear, or something medical-related, such as artificial heart or kidney, or a new type of dialysis device. Apple Inc has a lot of talent, and I'm sure they've got lots of ideas that we can't anticipate. Meanwhile, if they can occupy Samsung and MS with the idea of a timepeice, to keep them busy.... brilliant!

No chance in hell.

• Reply 37 of 60
    I heard that 7-11 is going to give away smart watches with every large Slurpee and that Kellogg's and Post are fighting to see who gets to be the first to put one into cereal boxes...........
  • Reply 38 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The Sacamsung model will of couse be six inches in diameter.

"...and run software that won't sync with most of the flavors of android os devices"

• Reply 39 of 60
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices."

San Francisco Examiner, John C. Dvorak, 19 Feb. 1984

I don't have a definite opinion on whether smart-watches will catch on or not (although, they have a much greater chance of success than Glass-like products, which are DOA for general consumer acceptance), but, the fact that someone once made an incorrect prediction has no bearing on other predictions of success or failure. The fact that Dvorak was wrong is even less relevant.

• Reply 40 of 60
    Ahhh.... It is all beginning to make sense...

Like many here, I was under the impression that the "MS" name was a portmanteau of "Microcomputer" and "Software"....

In reality, "MS" is an acronym for [B]M[/B]ine[B]S[/B]haft...

And our big friend up north is concerned about a [B][I]MineShaft gap...[/I][/B]

Apple is Doomsdayed™