Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone to boast 12-megapixel camera with improved sensitivity, HDR

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to a fresh report out of the Far East, Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" could employ a rear-facing camera with an improved 12MP sensor capable of producing high dynamic range images and better nighttime photos.

Camera
Lens elements in Apple's iPhone 4S camera system.

The rumor, from Vietnamese blog Tinhte.vn (via MacRumors), claims the new information originated from an inside source at iPhone camera module maker Wonderful Saigon Electrics.

A higher quality imager has been a much-rumored feature for the forthcoming iPhone, dubbed "iPhone 5S" by many, as the current iPhone 5 carried over the 8-megapixel unit from the iPhone 4S. That package boasted a large f/2.4 aperture and a backside illuminated sensor, and offered performance improvements over previous models when taking pictures in dark environments.

The camera module in the iPhone 5 went largely unchanged besides the addition of sapphire glass to the lens assembly, which served to protect against scratches.

With the upcoming iPhone 5S said to be launching later this year, a new camera module could likely be one of the handset's major spec bumps as a redesign is not expected. Apple may also institute a revamped optics/sensor system to minimize "purple fringing" seen in some instances with the current module, a byproduct of compact camera systems with short focal lengths.

Tinhte has been accurate in previous reports, and was the first to leak a video of Apple's EarPods design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Keep it 8 MP and update the rest.

• Reply 2 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I can't say I care too much about this but I do think that a 12Mpx camera would likely mean we'll be getting a Flash bump over the current offerings. I actually hope it's [U]not[/U] a doubling but just 50% more with the NAND chips they are using being halved in capacity with a new node, then a 3rd NAND chip added then built into a package with a special NAND controller and memory that is like a hybrid-SSD PoP so we can get over 2x the performance of the current NAND. It's really a performance bottleneck like HDD have been in PCs for years now.

2) I had completely forgotten about the purple fringes when photographing light. It's almost like that was blown out of proportion.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I'm still finding the purple tinge a real problem, it was not blown out of proportion.
    As for 12mp, Apple is playing catch up still, I hope they exceed expectations with screen size and features.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Why 12 and not 8?

Please, let's not try to use samsung strategy. Make a 440 ppi screen (lie about the fact that it is oversaturated pentile screen (330ppi), so crap, much inferior to iphone 5 ) to fool costumers, a 13mp camera that is just as crappy as they get (to fool costumers), etc.

• Reply 5 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

More pixels = more noise and colour fringing. A bigger sensor would be nice.

• Reply 6 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    The htc one, widely considered the best Android phone by reviewers, has a 4mp camera and supposedly takes fantastic photos. I do trust Apple to also update the optics. My 4S still takes great photos.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I would stick with 8MP and just improve the sensor and optics with a wider aperture...Unless they plan on bumping up the storage capacity, 12mp images and full HD video will eat up a good chunk of storage... You can make great 8x10 prints from 8MPs. More MPs doesn't always = better images...
  • Reply 8 of 53

Technology progresses... I know megapixels aren't everything but a better camera is still a better camera.  I'm sure apple will update the camera on top of adding megapixels... as for the htc one 4 ultra pixel drivel... check out the comparison vs. the S4

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913p8.php

GSMArena is pretty trustworthy no?

• Reply 9 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Lets hope Apple doubles the storage capacity of all thei new devices at the same time.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

As for 12mp, Apple is playing catch up still...

Playing catch up how? People understand that there is more to a quality photograph than megapixels. The megapixel race is over, just as the megahertz race is.

• Reply 11 of 53
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Playing catch up how? People understand that there is more to a quality photograph than megapixels. The megapixel race is over, just as the megahertz race is.

Most people still haven't understood the futility of the pizel or hertz or no of cores comparison.

• Reply 12 of 53

Absolutely, I think 12 mp is probably the highest.  I don't see the need for anything bigger... lol but I said that before with 8.

• Reply 13 of 53
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why 12 and not 8?

Please, let's not try to use samsung strategy. Make a 440 ppi screen (lie about the fact that it is oversaturated pentile screen (330ppi), so crap, much inferior to iphone 5 ) to fool costumers, a 13mp camera that is just as crappy as they get (to fool costumers), etc.

I don't know how you got the 330 ppi figure. I would say 440*2/3 = 293ppi. Anyways even 293 ppi is high enough that one wouldn't easily be able to tell it apart from a "retina display". So no one would feel fooled because of the resolution. And although I prefer the iPhone 5  display's color accuracy being an avid photographer, people in general like the oversaturated displays.

• Reply 14 of 53
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

More pixels will allow larger photo printing and much larger cropping, as you can crop the image much harder and keep a higher resolution the higher the pixels. 

However, the pixel race is much like the Mhz race where people think bigger is better and we learned that is not true, nor is it with pixels. Better quality pixels and better sensor and processing, and better glass should be the focus. 

As a photographer with both an 8MP and 12MP Canon DSLR, I can say with experience, the quality of glass and the sensor is a much bigger factor. 

Other items Apple can improve in addition to the ones mentioned above, are: 

• Focus points

• Image stabilizing 

• Shutter speed

• Multi exposure / better metering 

• Reply 15 of 53
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

agree with the above

i still will use camera+ to optimize the images to spare file space

i'd just like to have a flash that works, all my flash photos at night are bluish

larger sensor, better low light same 8mp or even 6mp  

i use the camera with email, shutter fly i don't need huge files to clog up my email and memory

pre order camera+ for iphone 6 anyone???

• Reply 16 of 53
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

agree with the above

i still will use camera+ to optimize the images to spare file space

The problem is, you should not have to use camera+ nor photoshop if your camera takes a good exposure in the first place. 

• Reply 17 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

…Apple is playing catch up still…

Stop embarrassing yourself. 

…screen size…

Screw that.

• Reply 18 of 53
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep it 8 MP and update the rest.

They may be choosing from a selection of parts that are available. It's also possible to process out smaller smaller than it is actually captured. You might end up with better detail in saturated primaries, given the way they're distributed. In a square shape you would have 2 green pixels, 1 red, and one blue. It's not as bad as it used to be, but the bayer array never seemed terribly ideal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

More pixels will allow larger photo printing and much larger cropping, as you can crop the image much harder and keep a higher resolution the higher the pixels. 

However, the pixel race is much like the Mhz race where people think bigger is better and we learned that is not true, nor is it with pixels. Better quality pixels and better sensor and processing, and better glass should be the focus. 

As a photographer with both an 8MP and 12MP Canon DSLR, I can say with experience, the quality of glass and the sensor is a much bigger factor. 

Other items Apple can improve in addition to the ones mentioned above, are: 

• Focus points

• Image stabilizing 

• Shutter speed

• Multi exposure / better metering 

A number of years ago I worked with the first 2 generations of the 1Ds as well as the Phase One P30 and P45s. Megapixels can make a difference in detail resolved. 8 to 12 isn't a very big difference at all. Some of the 645 sensors with no anti aliasing filters resolve considerably more detail even compared to dslrs with similar pixel counts, although in most cases the dslrs hit the point of good enough several years ago. Even the software that does the debayering and rasterization is a huge factor. You can get a much more pleasing result with some of the modern software revisions today (Lightroom, Phocus, Capture One, etc) even on older dslr cameras. What's interesting is that the tiny cameras that go into phones have certain design limitations yet lack others. There's no mirror so achieving wide angle views doesn't require a retrofocus (reverse mounted telephoto) lens design.

• Reply 19 of 53
    Should be a Sony sensor for the price of the iPhone they are producing the best out there at the moment always a little improvement for the highest cost for the iPhone
    Exmor RSModel Shipment date
    (planned) Sample price
    (incl. tax)
    Type 1/3.06
    13.13 effective megapixels(*3) Stacked CMOS image sensor
    'IMX135' January, 2013 1,500 JPY
    Imaging module
    'IU135F3-Z' March, 2013 8,000 JPY
    Type 1/4
    8.08 effective megapixels(*3) Stacked CMOS image sensor
    'IMX134' March, 2013 1,000 JPY
    Imaging module
    'IU134F9-Z' May, 2013 5,000 JPY
    Type 1/4
    8.08 effective megapixels(*3) Stacked CMOS image sensor
    'ISX014' October, 2012 1,200 JPY
    Imaging module
    'IUS014F-Z' November, 2012 6,000 JPY
    *3: Based on the method for specifying effective pixels in image sensors

Why the heck can't the iPhone be the best of the best it is a luxury priced item with some very outdated and cheap components other manufactures can beat apple out with new models much quicker.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

More than 3 or 4 MP on a phone camera is redundant. An SLR or good compact shooting at 3 MP produces a far better picture that a phone camera at 8 or 12 or whatever million pixels. They could reduce the count to 5 million bigger pixels to improve low light noise. Indoor phone shots under artificial lights are still quite horrible (digital noise being the butt ugliest artefact of the modern picture taking).