Facebook reportedly in discussions to bring 'Home' to Apple's iPhone, Microsoft Windows Phone [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of Facebook's debut of the Google Android-based "Home" app launcher earlier in April, the company is now said to be in talks with Apple to possibly collaborate on such an initiative for the iPhone.

htc
HTC First running the Facebook Home launcher.

Update: A source with knowledge of the situation has told The Next Web that Facebook is not in talks with either Apple or Microsoft and has no current plans to port Home to either iOS or Windows Phone at this time.

Facebook director of product Adam Mosseri revealed to Bloomberg on Monday that talks were underway with both Apple and Microsoft, saying the social network titan is looking to expand the reach of its newest initiative to other smartphone platforms.

?We?ve shown them what we?ve built and we?re just in an ongoing conversation,? Mosseri said.

While just in the early stages of discussion, Mosseri noted Home could be a very different experience on iOS compared to Android, if Apple does end up collaborating on the software.

"It may or may not be Home,? he said, referring to the Android-only software. ?We could also just bring some of the design values to the iOS app. That might be how it ends up. Or we could build just the lock screen. Maybe then it?s not called Home, it?s called something else.?

The executive's statements echo those of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who during a question and answer session at Home's launch said, "Anything that happens with Apple is going to happen with partnership."

It was reported last week that Home was rapidly prototyped using Apple's Quartz Composer, a component the company ships with the Xcode development tools package, suggesting a move to iOS may not be an insurmountable task.

Facebook Home hit store shelves on April 12 as implemented in the HTC First handset, with the launcher going live in the Google Play app store that same day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok so basically Facebook will end up updating their app for iOS to have more of a Home UI. No way Ive says yes to a Facebook type launcher on iOS.
  • Reply 2 of 57

I enjoyed the "Or we could just build the lock screen" 

Do they seriously think that Apple would let them anywhere near that?

• Reply 3 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA *cough*cough* HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
  • Reply 4 of 57

I hope this NEVER happens. An application is fine, perhaps more integration, but do not let FaceBook control ANY part of the OS. That may be fine for a lesser crowd, but not one that I want to be part of.

• Reply 5 of 57
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

No thanks, Zuk.

• Reply 6 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA *cough*cough* HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

image That… that's my line! I started laughing myself as soon as I read your post.

• Reply 7 of 57
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

I thought I was looking at an iPhone 5. Has HTC no shame? (That was a rhetorical q.) 

The FB app for iPhone and iPad is quite good (fast, easy to use and fairly stable). A few tweeks (like enabling re-titling of photos on one's timeline) and new name would suffice. Can't see any point in allowing it to dominate the phone's functionality. 

• Reply 8 of 57
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

I don't get it.

What if Apple allows for an "home" app on the app store? How about more facebook integration (like feeds on the new notification center, or the frigging wallpaper or lockscreen?

How's that going to change the experience for anyone that does not want Facebook? If you don't know how to use it or simply do not want it, that's your problem.

Thanks to facebook, all students from my year have a group where they share exercises, thoughts, have a conversation that otherwise couldn't happen.

Thanks to facebook, i communicate with the ones I care but are far from me.

It reminds me of the discussion of a bigger screen iPhone-model alongside the 4" model.

Some of you just look so so so retarded. You guys (a few) don't even know what you are talking about.

• Reply 9 of 57
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    No No No. Apple, do not do this
  • Reply 10 of 57
    tonyleetonylee Posts: 21member

Facebook and Zuk: We really want Home to be on the iphone.

Apple:  No, thanks.

Facebook and Zuk: But it will help us connect to our users better.

Apple: We are not Google Androids where we spread our legs open and let anyone fork us.

Facebook and Zuk: Well, at least can we tinker with the lock screen?

Apple: NO, stop wasting our time.

Desperation from a company that is trying to do everything it can to stay relevant. 

• Reply 11 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I would expect to see Apple replace their Music app with WinAmp before this happens¡
  • Reply 12 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post

Apple: We are not Google Androids where we spread our legs open and let anyone fork us.

"I don't show my source code to just anyone. I have principles! And licensing fees."

*twenty minutes later*

"Ah! Wait, no! Don't compile me there! I'll… I'll…"

• Reply 13 of 57
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    Facebook as my home screen? No thank you! I stopped using fb when they keep spamming my wall with apps and post they I may be interested in.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    NOOOOO. NOT ON IPHONEEEEE. Not on iPhoneeeeee. Not in iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Never happen.  Not even worth talking about.  

If Apple won't thinks it's a security risk to put widgets on the lock screen (and they do), they sure aren't going to violate the lock screen with Facebook Home.  

Microsoft won't allow it because it essentially steals the only really good, original idea from their platform and runs with it.  

Never.  Happen.  

• Reply 16 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

… Thanks to facebook, all students from my year have a group where they share exercises, thoughts, have a conversation that otherwise couldn't happen.

Thanks to facebook, i communicate with the ones I care but are far from me ….

In the first place, you should know that using Facebook in the classroom basically breaks the law in Europe and Canada and most places that aren't the USA and have any kind of decent privacy protections/laws.  

Secondly, there is this thing called "the Internet" that also "… allows your students to have a group where they share exercises, thoughts, …" etc.

It's just ridiculous of you to suggest that this kind of collaboration "couldn't happen" without Facebook.  It's basically what the Internet was originally made for and has been possible since before the web even existed.  There are so many apps and programs devoted to this one task (collaboration and communication of a group) that it boggles the mind.  It's practically the main f*cking use of the Internet in general.  There must be five start ups a year at least, (every year!) wholly devoted to online collaboration and communication amongst educational users.  

Most schools and Universities have multiple, competing products that do exactly this and are devoted to only this task that are available to all instructors.  

• Reply 17 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post

Desperation from a company that is trying to do everything it can to stay relevant. 

Wait...what company is that?

• Reply 18 of 57

Even here, too many elitist hate on Facebook. tss

- I hope Apple adopt the chat heads. That feature is seriously usefull and implemented well. But of course it wouldn't be just for Facebook.

- The lockscreen is somehow good alternative to the current static image.. that's fine because there will be an option to disable it.

- The two things that Apple would never agree: 1) The circle head as lockscreen unlocker. 2) Facebook Home's App launcher.

• Reply 19 of 57
    tonyleetonylee Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Wait...what company is that?

Well Facebook of course.  Facebook know full well that Apple is not going to let them put Home on the iphone. 

• Reply 20 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Microsoft won't allow it because it essentially steals the only really good, original idea from their platform and runs with it.  

Never.  Happen.  

Microsoft is drowning and will grab any flotsam that drifts past their flailing arms... Microsoft is a whore with a habit and has long since not had an option of choosing who he/she bends over for...