Facebook reportedly in discussions to bring 'Home' to Apple's iPhone, Microsoft Windows Phone [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    "What if Apple allows for an "home" app on the app store? How about more facebook integration (like feeds on the new notification center, or the frigging wallpaper or lockscreen?
    How's that going to change the experience for anyone that does not want Facebook? If you don't know how to use it or simply do not want it, that's your problem."

The problem is that if they allow FaceBook to control the lock screen and the OS, then they have to let another app do the same. Apple is about the user experience and allowing FB in too deep could (and would) compromise the experience.

Is the current app and OS keeping you from connecting with friends from a far? Are you unable to share exercises and ideas currently? I don't see any benefit in allowing a single company into the iPhone at that level.

OF course, if they did this they could turn into a hardware manufacturer only like Dell and allow anyone to install any OS they want. Then since we don't know what the hell you are looking at on your phone when you need help, increase the number of employees needed, outsource it to India and drop in customer satisfaction ratings. Just so we get a FB experience that does what?

The hardware from Apple is great, but it's the user experience on the device and by customer service experience that makes Apple better than everyone else. Yes trolls, I know they are not perfect, but they always get better and compared to customer service for any company their size or in their industry they are awesome.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jjthomps wrote: »
    "What if Apple allows for an "home" app on the app store? How about more facebook integration (like feeds on the new notification center, or the frigging wallpaper or lockscreen?
    How's that going to change the experience for anyone that does not want Facebook? If you don't know how to use it or simply do not want it, that's your problem."

The problem is that if they allow FaceBook to control the lock screen and the OS, then they have to let another app do the same. Apple is about the user experience and allowing FB in too deep could (and would) compromise the experience.

Is the current app and OS keeping you from connecting with friends from a far? Are you unable to share exercises and ideas currently? I don't see any benefit in allowing a single company into the iPhone at that level.

OF course, if they did this they could turn into a hardware manufacturer only like Dell and allow anyone to install any OS they want. Then since we don't know what the hell you are looking at on your phone when you need help, increase the number of employees needed, outsource it to India and drop in customer satisfaction ratings. Just so we get a FB experience that does what?

The hardware from Apple is great, but it's the user experience on the device and by customer service experience that makes Apple better than everyone else. Yes trolls, I know they are not perfect, but they always get better and compared to customer service for any company their size or in their industry they are awesome.

That's how Apple would allow this. Not directly, but indirectly by creating public APIs that allow for such functions. No such talks with FB on this. I do think that if Apple create such APIs it won't be this overwhleming thing FB Home is, but rather a very controlled method by which 3rd-party vendors can create "widget" like access to your Home screen.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I just have to laugh at the desperation of Facebook. They leak that they're in discussions with Apple and Microsoft, when more likely they reached out and Apple and Microsoft are figuring out the nicest way to say no.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    makingdots wrote: »
    I hope Apple adopt the chat heads. That feature is seriously usefull and implemented well. But of course it wouldn't be just for Facebook.

Could you explain what "chat heads" are?
  • Reply 25 of 57
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Haha pull the other one.

• Reply 26 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Could you explain what "chat heads" are?

I lack on english skills but here's a video starts @ 2:49 - http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/4206340/facebook-home-hands-on-review-video

Apple could implement it as an alternative way of notification for Instant Messenger apps.

• Reply 27 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Why is this crap being posted?  I mean really!!  Some guy, overheard some guy in a bathroom stall (drunk most likely) cracking up about this and assumed it must be legit?

Jeez... seriously slow day at AI.

• Reply 28 of 57
    makingdots wrote: »
    I lack on english skills but here's a video starts @ 2:49 - http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/4206340/facebook-home-hands-on-review-video

Apple could implement it as an alternative way of notification for Instant Messenger apps.

I'm glad I asked and thanks for the link to the video with the proper time stamp.

I had assumed you just meant an icon next to the name in Messages, which I would find pointless in the limited space available. I do agree with the reviewer that Chat Heads would be very useful. Apple's modal system is very intrusive.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm glad I asked and thanks for the link to the video with the proper time stamp.

I had assumed you just meant an icon next to the name in Messages, which I would find pointless in the limited space available. I do agree with the reviewer that Chat Heads would be very useful. Apple's modal system is very intrusive.
    chat heads are the only thing I deem worthy about the entire Facebook home experience. I tried it (facebook home) on my Nexus 4 and it just is useless to anyone who doesn't live on FB. It really is for connected teens I feel.

I was using messenger with chat heads for a few days too but eventually got rid of it too because I don't like FB messenger. I'll wait until a third party Chat head like app is created or integrated into CyanogenMod
  • Reply 30 of 57

Facebook Home is just Microsoft KIN's social features for Android. And without the lack of polish Microsoft is frequently known for. It has no place taking over the iPhone's UI.

• Reply 31 of 57

Awesome, I can now see if a cow strayed away in farmville or if someone has a wicket awesome score in Candy Crush saga.  Or get a notification on "What are you doing" at random times, this is win all the way.  *sarcasm* 

• Reply 32 of 57
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

Nope. These criminals will never get a single pixel of my screen :-)

• Reply 33 of 57
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    LOL

Story was obviously bogus from the title alone.
  • Reply 34 of 57

No just imagine it a constant stream of "Do you know Joe Blog" friend of a friend of distant relative twice removed across my screen.

NO Apple NO

I realize there is supposed to be six degrees of separation between us but christmas is bad enough now

• Reply 35 of 57
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Facebook is the last App I'd install on my lovely iPhone.

No I got that wrong. Not the last App, but an App I'd NEVER install.

If Apple preinstalls FB, I'd be forced to buy a different phone.  Never android, so perhaps a BB?

• Reply 36 of 57
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member

No,

just NO.

I am not on facebook nor do I intend to ever get there. Did I say NO? Ok, then I say it once again: NO.

It doesn't make sense AT ALL also from a marketing perspective. Because Apple's iPhone and all other devices will look exactly the same. Facebook will take control, subtly, as they showed they are able to do, but surely.

First it will be "interesting" but, before you know it, all of your info will be on Facebook.

I honestly hope it never ever happens.

Though Apple needs to get its act together on the software and internet side of business.

Examples:

- new Aperture version (which becomes even more pressing after Lightroom 5 was released). If Apple doesn't release a new version of Aperture soon, then I will never buy another pro software from Cupertino, ever.

- New iWork

- New iLife

- Aperture for iOS. But not a crappy half baked excuse of iPhoto. Give me RAW editing, non destructive editing and full compatibility among devices.

- New "Photostream" abilities. Like the one to share a Photostream on facebook for instance. Don't let Facebook take control of the social aspect, use it only as a distribution method, among many (twitter etc)

- Maps for Mac OSX. So that people use Apple Maps more and help them become better

- Maps for iOS. Update imagery, add 3D cities and create a "Maps" blog on the Apple site to track progress and show you are doing something

- AppleTV or iTV or whatever. Release an SDK and enter the gaming world.

- Bigger screened smartphone, for those who want it

- New MacPro. Come on... Either leave it to die or update it. But don't announce stuff and don't deliver.

- Better iCloud, MUCH BETTER iCloud. "Preview App" has iCloud integration... Enough said.

Then, only after this list is complete, evaluate the Facebook Home. And, after a 30 seconds evaluation, conclude that NO, you don't need to let Zuckerberg take even more control...

And Apple, PLEASE BUY Flipboard. And take control of social news. Which is what, for most people, social networks are all about. So you have a "super social app" that integrates all various feeds, newsreels, timetables and so on. Call it iWorld or something. And the social networks as single entities will become less prominent.

• Reply 37 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Seriously, who the **** wants this shit? Currently you can have the FB/messenger apps notify you about everything, as we'll as having FB integration in your contact, calendar, integrated as a sharing option, posting from every app and from notification center...we need FB to further infest the OS, including our wallpaper? Jesus ****. No thanks.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thanks
  • Reply 39 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

As long as it is vetted by Apple and goes through the App Store as an optional launcher, and Apple ensure that it requires permission to access any private data I have no issues with this and don't understand all the hoopla.

I doubt Apple will allow it, but stranger things have happened.

• Reply 40 of 57
    enzos wrote: »
    I thought I was looking at an iPhone 5. Has HTC no shame? (That was a rhetorical q.) 

The FB app for iPhone and iPad is quite good (fast, easy to use and fairly stable). A few tweeks (like enabling re-titling of photos on one's timeline) and new name would suffice. Can't see any point in allowing it to dominate the phone's functionality. 

Dude that looks nothing like an iPhone 5