YouTube for iOS updated with live streaming, new 'My Subscriptions' feed

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Monday updated its YouTube app for iOS, adding a number of new features like support for live streaming, a new personalized subscription feed and the ability to queue videos for TV playback.

YouTube Update

The most significant addition to YouTube version 1.3 is its live streaming capabilities, allowing users access to future events like the annual State of the Union Address, which has been broadcast on the online video platform for the past few years. With the new feature, iPhones and cellular-enabled iPads will now be able to tune in to live streams on the go, something that was previously only available via the YouTube browser-based web app.

Also added in v1.3 is the ability to queue up videos using the app's "Send to TV" functionality, which connects to Google TV units or gaming consoles' YouTube apps, effectively turning an iOS device into an advanced remote control.

Finally, a new My Subscriptions feed is available on the YouTube Guide sidebar, granting easy access to recently uploaded videos.
and along with the usual stability and performance improvements

From the release notes:
  • Quick access to new uploads from subscriptions via "My Subscriptions" feed on the Guide
  • Access to Live streams
  • Queue up videos to play on TV
  • One Channel branding for video creator channels
  • Stability and performance improvements
The univsersal YouTube app for iOS devices is a 10.4MB free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the new feature, cellular-enabled iPhones and iPads will now be able to tune in to live streams on the go, something that was previously only available via the YouTube browser-based web app.

Where does one go to buy an iPhone that is not "cellular-enabled"?

• Reply 2 of 4
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Where does one go to buy an iPhone that is not "cellular-enabled"?

Good question! They must have meant "iPhones and cellular-enabled iPads".

• Reply 3 of 4
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

So glad they added the My Subscriptions feed, thats the biggest thing that was bugging me, maybe next time,  a better inbox interface?.

• Reply 4 of 4

Seems like they have been able to cram lots of features in this update. Though the inbox needs more updates.