Facebook reportedly in discussions to bring 'Home' to Apple's iPhone, Microsoft Windows Phone [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    tonylee wrote: »
    Facebook and Zuk: We really want Home to be on the iphone.

Apple:  No, thanks.

Facebook and Zuk: But it will help us connect to our users better.

Apple: We are not Google Androids where we spread our legs open and let anyone fork us.

Facebook and Zuk: Well, at least can we tinker with the lock screen?

Apple: NO, stop wasting our time.

Desperation from a company that is trying to do everything it can to stay relevant. 

They are staying relevant by being in the news, they are staying relevant by people like us discussing them.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    makingdots wrote: »
    I lack on english skills but here's a video starts @ 2:49 - http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/4206340/facebook-home-hands-on-review-video

Apple could implement it as an alternative way of notification for Instant Messenger apps.

There's no way Apple will allow their iPhone to be turned into a Facebook advertisement. Heh
  • Reply 43 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

For those who didn't notice the AI article has been updated now to say the rumor isn't true after all.

• Reply 44 of 57
    With a rating of 2.3 from users of Google play I don't think this app is creating so much of trouble for iPhone to worry about.
    I wonder how developers at Facebook can make such a low quality app.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's just ridiculous of you to suggest that this kind of collaboration "couldn't happen" without Facebook.  It's basically what the Internet was originally made for and has been possible since before the web even existed.  There are so many apps and programs devoted to this one task (collaboration and communication of a group) that it boggles the mind.  It's practically the main f*cking use of the Internet in general.  There must be five start ups a year at least, (every year!) wholly devoted to online collaboration and communication amongst educational users.  

Most schools and Universities have multiple, competing products that do exactly this and are devoted to only this task that are available to all instructors.  

This!  Seriously, I remember the days when every computing science department had people creating a collaboration system for their school.  There are tons of great ones out there which are open, free, and not harvesting all of the personal information about students.

• Reply 46 of 57
    I'd not be surprised if this were leaked by Facebook to stoke demand. Disinformation. Apple does not discuss secret talks, and with Apple, all talks are secret.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacSmiley View Post

I'd not be surprised if this were leaked by Facebook to stoke demand. Disinformation. Apple does not discuss secret talks, and with Apple, all talks are secret.

If Facebook had leaked a made-up story like this one, I seriously doubt it had the desired effect. The resounding response (around here anyway) is, "We don't want your crap, Zuk!"

• Reply 48 of 57

Apparently Android users don't want it either.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.home

Out of 4300 ratings well over half are either one star or two.

• Reply 49 of 57
    Never ever allow an application to take control of iPhone because lot of things get compromised from a technical dimension. Facebook is just an app n why should it be given utmost importance
  • Reply 50 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Apparently Android users don't want it either.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.home

Out of 4300 ratings well over half are either one star or two.

But aren't low ratings fairly common on such things, especially when it comes to something with a high profile?
  • Reply 51 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But aren't low ratings fairly common on such things, especially when it comes to something with a high profile?

I don't see it as common. 

Here's some other popular home screen replacement apps on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=home+screen+replacement&c=apps&sort=0

• Reply 52 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeejucm View Post

Never ever allow an application to take control of iPhone because lot of things get compromised from a technical dimension. Facebook is just an app n why should it be given utmost importance

Springboard is just an app too.  A Facebook home screen and launcher wouldn't necessarily have to have super permissions to access private data, or to contravene sandboxing or anything like that.  It would depend on the approach they took.

• Reply 53 of 57
    They should be the first real company to use Cydia, make a winterboard or dreamboard theme.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    That's nice, I'd love to turn my smartphone device into nothing more than a Facebook home page. Hey sheep, can you hear yourselves? Baaaaa...
  • Reply 55 of 57
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

After reading through the ratings on the Facebook home app, it looks like the negative reviews were from people who didn't think about what they were downloading and/or just tried for a few minutes.

Some seemed to download and then uninstall it, just so they could bash Facebook in a review.

Later reviews from those who really DID want a Facebook oriented launcher, are more positive.

Most real negatives, even from them, are about the lack of widget support.  It is unusual for a better launcher to not have that.

• Reply 56 of 57
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Yeah, let's give FB the ability to get its hooks into my OS, because they've built up all this trust with me with all of their history of all those awesome app updates. Not.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    "Please, Apple, I know I zapped you on Ping but now I have a great deal for you: I take over the iOS home page and put ads on it. What's not to like? Love that iOS. Mark."