Facebook app for iOS gets Chat Heads, stickers, new News Feed

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Facebook on Tuesday rolled out an update for its flagship iOS app that doesn't quite bring it in line with the capabilities of Facebook Home on Android, but does port over some new elements.

chatheads
Chat Heads displayed in Facebook's messaging feature.

Facebook version 6.0 brings the Chat Heads contact feature to Apple's platform, though in a more limited capacity than they appear on Facebook Home. The pop-up contact bubbles appear only in the Facebook app, and they are unable to integrate with a user's SMS contacts.

Recently Facebook was rumored to be working on bringing the "immersive" experience of Facebook Home to Apple's iOS and Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platforms. Those rumors, though, were quickly shot down by knowledgeable sources, who said Facebook has no plans to port the Home experience to either platform.

The update also brings the ability to send "stickers" ? giant, emoji-like pictures ? to other users. The stickers come in packs of related pictures and are currently free. The ability to send stickers is currently limited to the iPhone, but any device can receive them.

The update also packs a redesign of the News Feed, making it cleaner and more easily accessible. Version 6.0 of Facebook for iOS will be rolling out for free for iPad and iPhone users later on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    This also coincides with the new look Timeline on FB web.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Am I the only one that sees FB reinventing the wheel? Why do I need chat in FB? I've got SMS & iMessage. All "free" anyways. I've noticed that I get SMS/iMessage replies way more quickly then messages I send to ppl on FB. They're reinventing the wheel and trying to force it upon ppl to show why you need it "because everyone is on it"... self fulfilling prophecy. No thanks. I just keep checking FB less and less :)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    FB trying to feel more and more like Twitter everyday. Gawd I wish FB would just die; it's just another example of an over inflated idea that, I hope, will eventually die. It really serves no actual purpose.
  • Reply 4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

FB trying to feel more and more like Twitter everyday. Gawd I wish FB would just die; it's just another example of an over inflated idea that, I hope, will eventually die. It really serves no actual purpose.

Don't be obtuse.

If you do not want or don't know how to use it, that's your problem.

• Reply 5 of 12
    drewyboy wrote: »
    Am I the only one that sees FB reinventing the wheel? Why do I need chat in FB? I've got SMS & iMessage. All "free" anyways. I've noticed that I get SMS/iMessage replies way more quickly then messages I send to ppl on FB. They're reinventing the wheel and trying to force it upon ppl to show why you need it "because everyone is on it"... self fulfilling prophecy. No thanks. I just keep checking FB less and less :)

It's useful for talking to people whose numbers you don't have. That might sound ludicrous to some people (why wouldn't you have someone's phone number if you're friends on Facebook?) but it's pretty normal for the “Facebook generation".
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Why all the FB hate? I get the disdain for Android and Samsung but FB is one of the most used and popular apps for the iPhone. It is not a competitor to Apple. Just because you don't use it or like it doesn't mean the millions that do are idiots. I have friends all over the world. I can't keep up with them like the old days because we are in different time zones and have just naturally grown apart over the years but it is nice to occasionally think about them and visit their page and maybe see what they have been up to, or look at some photos, or quickly send them a message. Facebook isn't going anywhere. Twitter has it's uses and so does Tumblr and a few others but no other company has the user base or momentum like Facebook. I really don't get the anti-facebook trolls here that spends hours on this forum every single day posting dribble lambasting others that spend hours posting on Facebook. 

• Reply 7 of 12
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I suspect it's an age thing.  The younger you are, the more likely you are to dig the idea that everyone you know can stay connected with you as a FB friend in a muddle mass of family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and strangers you play games with.  Personally I like having reconnected with HS and college friends, but I don't really want then pinging me with instant messages any time day or night.

I can see why FB wants to be (and for many people has already become) the center of the universe for people, but that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the implications.  Facebook is, in many ways, much more of a "Big Brother" than Orwell could have imagined. 

• Reply 8 of 12
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I'm getting sick of all the crap on facebook now. I just want to keep up to date with people and relatives I don't actively keep in touch with. But now it's about all the ads which I didn't ask for and all the sharing and likes of pages to fraudulently inflate the numbers so someone can monetize the results. Facebook is all about money now.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Why all the FB hate?

Lack of respect for the user.

That, and the fact that they pass off their service as being 'social' and that you actually giving a damn about people that you can't be bothered spending time on.

Each to their own, though.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    FaceBook.... annoying software to steal your personal data, brought to you by the psychopath who invented social networking because he couldn't make any real friends...

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Reply 11 of 12
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

They are nothing more than a glorified BBS. I don't see the difference.

• Reply 12 of 12
    I don't like the new newsfeed. Why all the different categories? Mine has Newsfeed, Friends, Most Recent, among several more. When you click on each one it's pretty much the same posts under each one. Why all the different categories for the same information? Not cleaner in my opinion.