Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Eric Schmidt doesn't hold a grudge against Apple for developing its own rival mapping program for iOS, but the Google chair does seem to think the iPhone maker would be better served with his company's app as the default for its devices.

iMacs

Speaking today during an AllThingsD mobile conference, Schmidt said Google is still pushing Apple to use Google Maps as the primary navigation app on iPads, iPhones, and iPods.

"We would still really like them to use our maps," the Google chair said, according to CNet. "It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one.

Previously, Apple and Google were partners in many aspects of Apple's iOS. Google Maps was an integral part of the first iPhone, and it remained so until last year with the release of iOS 6 and the Apple Maps app. Despite the resulting embarrassment stemming from some poorly implemented features of Apple's mapping solution, the company has worked to improve the offering, even as Google released a new version of its Maps for iOS, which saw millions of download upon its release.

The Google chair didn't elaborate on why Apple decided to go with its own maps program. The decision is thought to have in part spun out of the competition between the two companies in the mobile devices segment. Additionally, Apple is thought to have been unwilling to accede to Google's user data conditions for adding features like turn-by-turn navigation to iOS Google Maps.

Schmidt also wouldn't go into detail on whether Apple and Google are currently discussing having Google Maps as a default tool. Doing so would be a departure for Apple, which doesn't allow users to specify non-Apple iOS apps as defaults within iOS.

The Google chair has a habit of making vague statements about the search giant's relationship with Apple, so it is uncertain the degree to which his statements on Tuesday can be taken at face value.

Through the rest of the interview, Schmidt downplayed the potential of Facebook's Home Android launcher having a negative impact on Google's ecosystem. Facebook Home and Amazon's forking of Android for its Kindle line of devices, Schmidt said, are the sort of developments Google expected and wants to see spin out of its open platform.

"I think it's fantastic because this is what open source is all about," Schmidt said. "It's experimentation, it's new ideas, it's creativity, and I think it's one of the big reasons that Android is the number one platform. And I think it took guts for us [to go open source]."

Schmidt also downplayed the notion any increasing tensions between Google and Samsung. Samsung is essentially the only Android manufacturer making money on its handsets, and the South Korean conglomerate's Galaxy line arguably has better name recognition than the Android software underlying it.

"We've spent lots of time with Samsung," Schmidt said, "and I can confirm to you that the press coverage of 'tensions' is not correct."

Schmidt said that many different Android manufacturers will continue to build Android handsets and to find ways to make money. As to Google's own in-house Android manufacturer, Schmidt said that new devices can be expected from Motorola later this year. Asked if those devices were phones, Schmidt was coy.

"Think of [Motorola] as 'Phones Plus,'" he said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151

Why is Schmidt even bothering to make statements like this?  He is smart enough to know Apple has heavily invested in developing their own Maps app and providing a unique mapping service, and at this point, there is no way they're going to drop their own app for Google's.

• Reply 2 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Why the hell would he sa...

Oh wait.

It's Eric Schmidt.
  • Reply 3 of 151
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

That's so sweet of him — looking out for the best interests of Apple.

It's nice to know he doesn't hold it against Apple.

All the same, I think Apple should probably just continue to trust him no further than Steve Jobs can throw him [now, that is.]

• Reply 4 of 151
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

"Apple is thought to have been unwilling to accede to Google's user data conditions for adding features like turn-by-turn navigation to iOS Google Maps."

Everything you need to know about the situation, right there in once sentence.

• Reply 5 of 151
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Apple's Cook: Get bent, pimp.

"Pimp?"

Google whores out the information of those that use their services. The name is fitting.

• Reply 6 of 151
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

HE STARTED AGAIN.  THIS GUY IS HAVING POTS AND POTS OF VODKA AND COMING TO PRESS AND TALKING.

• Reply 7 of 151

Quote:

Apple and Google were partners in many aspects of Apple's iOS

Definitely. No wonder, Google ripped off initial version of Apple iOS

• Reply 8 of 151

Quote:

Schmidt downplayed the potential of Facebook's HomeAndroid launcher having a negative impact on Google's ecosystem.

Then, why did they allow it on Android dudes?  I dont understand Google at all.

• Reply 9 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

User data mining aside. The main take away is Apple wasn't getting the same updates on iOS as Android was getting. Why should they be left behind? 

• Reply 10 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Do they even have to allow it? Couldn't Facebook legally fork Android and do their own thing?

• Reply 11 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I think you're misreading the sentence.  He said he doesn't think it will have a negative impact.

• Reply 12 of 151
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    With the exception of Streetview, I use Apple's Maps app. At least I know Apple won't try whoring-out my data like Google does.

I'm glad Apple stripped out google's services. That must have resulted in a significant drop in mobile revenue.
  • Reply 13 of 151
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    The dude us a total psycho!
  • Reply 14 of 151
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one."

Sure, Eric, the moment you pull out of the phone business we'll do that. Done deal, buddy. It would be oh so easy to pull Android and point to IOS as you default mobile recommendation. Until then you won't be getting our user's data.

• Reply 15 of 151
    As a mapping app developer I would NOT like to have Google Maps be the default for iOS. They come with too many restrictions on what app developers can do with them. If your app is successful and a lot of people use it, Google can turn off their maps. All of Google's mapping SDKs come with a long list of things you CAN'T do with them. Apple's maps are improving rapidly. They are vector and smaller to download. They are cached on the device so even if you lose connection to the internet, the maps still work over a large area. Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. Caching them would require a lot of data storage but that does not matter because caching is one of the things that you are not allowed to do. Thanks but I will keep Apple's maps.
  • Reply 16 of 151
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Eric:

You're a weasel of a man with no ethics. I can't wait for Apple to invest their resources into burying you in the maps department.
  • Reply 17 of 151

Too late Shmitty, in my opinion, Apples maps is already better than Google maps, you should have thought of that before. Google will be in trouble as soon as Samsung ditches them, Apple switches their default search to Yahoo. Windows having their own Bing. Google wont have a platform. Thats what happens when you steal and don't play nice.

• Reply 18 of 151
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

With the exception of Streetview, I use Apple's Maps app. At least I know Apple won't try whoring-out my data like Google does.

I'm glad Apple stripped out google's services. That must have resulted in a significant drop in mobile revenue.

I've gotten over the loss of streetview, although it was really useful and I would like it back if possible.  The thing I can't do without is any kind of transit information.  

Without that, maps is useless for anyone who doesn't drive which is at least 40% of the population in most countries and more like 60% where I live.  If Apple could only add back in the transit info then they wouldn't be "number two" anymore at least.  

• Reply 19 of 151
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We would still really like them to use our maps," the Google chair said...

And people in hell would really like ice water.

• Reply 20 of 151
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Dear Eric,

Go f@ck yourself.

(Oh, and good luck with everybody on Earth being online by 2020, you dumb shit)